Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Dulles - time needed for security outbound to Paris

Dec 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

We're flying Open Skies to Orly, leaving on a Monday, @ 7:30 p.m., late April. How much time should we allow to check in and for security, to arrive at the gate on time. Thanks in advance.
Dec 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM

R u checking in at IAD or will u have your boarding pass or get t from a kiosk? R u checking luggage? I have my boarding pass and do carry on and usually we get there about 1.5 hours b4 departure time. Its always been plenty of time. Your bigger issue may be the traffic getting to IAD during rush hour. When I need to leave during rush hour, I tend to leave a nice cushion for the drive to IAD.
Dec 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM

I fly out of Dulles all the time, and the safe thing is to be there 2 hours in advance. As yestravel said, you may hit rush hour traffic (not sure where you're coming from), but the big question mark is - how many people are in the security line. If you're checking luggage, you might hit a little snag checking in - but again, I've found that being there 2 hours ahead of time usually covers everything. I don't know anything about Open Skies, so I have no idea on their speed..... Have a great trip!
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM

My experience with Dulles is that you are always stuck taking those people mover buses between gates and terminal. Adds alot of extra time. Do keep in mind that Open Skies does close Terminal check-in an hour before the flight departs, so you need to be there on time! I would personally plan to arrive at IAD by 5:30. I flew Open Skies out of EWR this past June and enjoyed it. AND, if you get there early you can just enjoy another drink in their Lounge!
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM

My experience with Dulles is that you are always stuck taking those people mover buses between gates and terminal. Adds alot of extra time. Do keep in mind that Open Skies does close Terminal check-in an hour before the flight departs, so you need to be there on time! I would personally plan to arrive at IAD by 5:30. I flew Open Skies out of EWR this past June and enjoyed it. AND, if you get there early you can just enjoy another drink in their Lounge!
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM

IAD Now has the Aero train to most of their terminals...so no move people movers. Depending upon the terminal Open Skies flies from, u may be able to avoid the people movers.