JFK terminal 5 to 7

Dec 6th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

JFK terminal 5 to 7

Hello everyone,

I am taking a flight from Buffalo with Jetblue (which I believe is in T5 of JFK Airport), and will be arriving in JFK at 7am. However, my next flight is with Cathay (which I believe is in T7 of JFK airport) at 9am.

I am not a US citizen. Will it be possible to get there within 2 hours, inclusive of TSA airport security and such? I am hoping that the airport and checking in will not be quite as crowded at that time.

Is anyone able to advise me?

Thank you in advance!
Dec 6th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Some of my friends in the US also tell me that I can use the airtrain to move from terminal to terminal. However, based on my experience with the airtrain, it takes quite a long time to come and I don't want to risk missing my flights.

Seeking advice on this too! Thanks again!
Dec 6th, 2013, 03:15 AM

First off, your Jet Blue flight is considered a domestic flight so it really doesn't matter that you are not a US Citizen - there is no "Passport Control" or Immigration checkpoint when LEAVING the US.

Second, there is an AirTrain that connects the different terminals. The AirTrain runs something like every 4 or 5 minutes and the ride between Terminal 5 & 7 is less than 3 minutes. It's actually the quickest way to get between terminals. You will, of course, have to walk from your arrival gate to the AirTrain station which is located just outside the terminal. Depending on your arrival gate that could take anywhere from 5 to 12 minutes. Go here for a Map of JFK Airport and more info on the AirTrain: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html

Third, if you don't already have your boarding pass for the Cathy Pacific flight you'll have to allow extra time to check-in otherwise you can proceed directly to the TSA Security Checkpoint in Terminal 7 then to your departure gate. Hint: You can use Cathy Pacific's online Check-in to save you some time - otherwise check-in can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

So, the upshot is a 2 hour connection is probably very doable - figure 20 minutes to deplane and walk to the AirTrain, another 10 minutes to board and ride the train to Terminal 7, assuming you have checked-in online for the Cathy Pacific Flight allow 20 minute to clear the TSA checkpoint and perhaps another 5 minutes to walk to your departing gate - total elapsed time: 55 minutes.

The only "open item" is whether or not you have any checked bags. If you do, contact Jet Blue before you leave to see if they have a baggage handling arrangement with Cathy Pacific. If so, make sure your bags are tagged for your final destination when you check-in the bags in Buffalo. You should then follow the procedures outlined above.

If no baggage handling arrangement, you'll have to claim your bags when you arrive in Terminal 5 and re-check them with Cathy Pacific. You should still "check-in" on line for your Cathy Pacific flight as that will save you time when re-checking your bags at Cathy Pacific. You'll probably use another 30 to 40 minutes of your connection time if you have to claim and recheck your bags but that will still give you around a 30 minute or so "cushion".
Dec 6th, 2013, 03:29 AM
J62

According to JetBlue website they are partners with Cathay, so I think you will have no trouble checking bags all the way through, and you should also be able to check-in & get boarding passes as well at Buffalo.

That will make your connection much simpler.
http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/
Dec 6th, 2013, 04:17 AM

The simple answer is yes, it's very possible to get from T5 to T7 in less than 2 hours, but there are many more questions to be considered.

First is the time by which you and your baggage must be checked in. For Cathay Pacific at JFK, it's 40 minutes before scheduled flight time. So that cuts 2 hours down to 1:20. Next is your schedule arrival time from Buffalo -- it's 7:10, not 7:00. You're down to 1:10, which is still not impossible.

If you have checked baggage, that adds an extra layer of time; also, the walk from the Jet Blue terminal to the AirTrain station is a long one (and uphill!). There's no real alternative to the AirTrain, except possibly taking a cab.

And then there's one more, elephant-in-the-room-sized, caveat: If you have a 9:00 flight on Cathay, that means the flight is before the changeover to Daylight Saving Time, which means the flight is between now and mid-March. I've heard that it sometimes snows in Buffalo in the winter. It's not just flight cancellations that would be a problem, but if your plane has to be de-iced and you get delayed for 30-45 minutes, that could easily be enough to kill your connection.

If you do miss the connection, Cathay has another flight in the early afternoon. If you have a single ticket from Buffalo to HKG (or wherever you're headed in Asia) and you miss the connection, Cathay will put you on the next flight if a seat is available. However, if you're flying BUF-JFK and JFK-HKG on separate tickets and you miss the flight, then Cathay has no obligation to honor your ticket.