Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How early do I need to be to the Philly airport to catch a plane?

Jun 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I will be departing Philadelphia on July 6th at 8:15 a.m. for a flight to Omaha through Minneapolis (NWA).

Would 7:15 a.m. airport arrival be early enough? I am staying at an airport hotel that night before so just planning my sleep time!!!
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I would check with your airline - but you don;t seem to be leaving much time for getting through security. Do you have checked luggage?
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Northwest is not a major hub in Philadelphia--and it shares a terminal with other airlines. But arrival time depends on if you're checking luggage, and perhaps if you're a Northwest frequent flyer who can get into a special line. It also depends on if you can check luggage at a kiosk or if you need to wait in a line of fellow travelers.

Most luggage has to be checked by 45 minutes before the flight to have a good chance of being on the plane. Considering that it's summer travel season, I'd get to the NW terminal no later than 7 a.m. and have breakfast at the airport. Security lines can be long at that time of day due to the number of travelers. And if there was any type of weather event the day before that caused flight cancellations, I'd arrive even earlier.
Jun 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM

The airline and airport websites will give you info on wait times/ security lines, etc.

I would get there 2 hours early. I'd get to any airport with more than a few gates 2 hours early.
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Security lines can be long at PHL. Check with Northwest - but USAir in Phila. has a one hour time limit for checking baggage - if you do not check your luggage before that hour - you do not get on the plane. I was in line when someone was booted from a plane b/c they had waited in a long check-in line only to find out that b/c it was then less than hour, they had to be re-booked on another flight.

One hour before your flight at PHL is not enough.
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Jed

For accurate checkpoint wait times, check out http://www.airports.com/PHL.

Of course, this is only one part of your wait.
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:25 AM

I had an early morning flight out of PHL a couple of weeks ago. The security lines were long. I would allow 1 1/2 hours. Err on the side of caution.
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM

With the 6th being a Friday and following a holiday, I'd try to be at baggage check-in by 6:30 (assuming you have baggage).
Jun 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Just go to bed early on this one night.
Jun 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I agree it's a tossup.. if it's usair and you are not a preferred member or first class 1 hr. 15 mins.. but most other airlines I have only left 1 hour
Jun 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
LG2

We flew out of Philly last week. Don't know what the morning would be like, but I also would try to check in no less than an hour and a half early. A bigger unknown is your transportation to the airport. That afternoon I was arriving at the airport and decided to leave to gas up my rental. It took me 45 minutes to get back to the terminal and I never did get the gas. Better to arrive earlier, eat breakfast at the airport and relax ....
Jun 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I always get to Phila. airport at least two hours before my flight. Even if you're not flying USAir with the long check in lines, several airlines share the same security area and lines can be VERY LONG!!
Jun 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I usually depart Philly going west in the afternoons, and it's never ever been busy that I can recall (except for Christmas, which wasn't actually that bad either). I've never needed more than an hour that I can recall, but I hear the airport is much busier in the AM, so I'd probably arrive a minimum of 90 minutes before flight departure.

There's always the option of an airport hotel at PHL with Priceline, by the way...
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.. I do have checked luggage. I will try to be there about 6:45 to 7:00 a.m. ugh..!

Looking forward to my first trip to Philadelphia, so I guess getting up a bit early on the way home won't kill me!