Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A nice relaxing trip to New York, possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided that our next adventure is going to be stateside. Our daughter HAS to see New York or she will DIE. So this fall we are planning a trip to the Big Apple. However, after our trip to Europe I want to make sure a few things are covered before we go so my husband is comfortable.
1. A nice place in New York that is not super crowded, ( I know, I should probably just leave him at home right! ha!)
2. Suggestions for places to visit that a 16 year old would love to see.
3. Excellent restaurant suggestions
That is it for now, thanks for the help!
gypsygurl
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM

1. All of NYC is probably more crowded than your husband would prefer, but you might choose a more residential area (Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, Soho) rather than midtown to lessen the frenzy.

2. What does your 16-year-old like to see at home? Some like fashion, art, or sports. Some hate fashion art, or sports.

3. There are excellent restaurants everywhere. What is your budget? Any cuisine preferences?
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM

All of the tourist areas of NYC are crowded (althouhg there are some far residential areas that are green and peacful - but there's noting to do and it would take an hour to get into the city) but some are busy and some are frantic. If you want to stay out of crowds avoid Times Square and spend at little time in midtown (50th St donw to 34th or 23rd - which is one of the main business districts. The other main business district is Wall Street area downtown - superbusy in work hours and deserted other wise. For something more peaceful stay on the upper west side which is mid to upscale residential, has shops and restaurants on the avenues but the side streets are primarily residential. You are right near Central Park - big enough to be uncrowded except for special events and easy access to many major museums.

As for what a 16 year old would like - it depends on her. What are her interests? - there is something - and usually something great for everyone. Mine at that age were both interested in dance and fashion but one loved marine biology and the other was a budding attorney/historian - so a lot of different interests.

As for restaurants - there are dozens of great ones and hundreds of good ones. What it your budget and what types of food do you like or dislike?
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:39 PM

When you say a "place" in new York that isn't crowded, what'd you mean? A hotel? A tourist site? If you are talking NYC, it's pretty crowded but you can avoid the worst. As some one mentioned, Upper West Side, Grenwich village - these aren't really crowded. And GV is my favorite area. However if u want to make a 16 year old happy, you MUST go to see a Broadway show and that area is crowded. Maybe your husband can skip that?

Years ago (approx 2003) my DH and DD and I went to NYC. It was their first time. DH was like yours: didn't want the crowds, feared muggings, etc. He ended up having one of the best times of his life and loved NYC.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Okay, good start!! I guess I should have given you a budget, that would have helped immensely. Our budget for two weeks will be 10,000. Our budget for restaurants will be one or two splurges, (200.00 dollar dinner) but other than that we would like to eat at local places that are good for about 25-30 dollars.

My daughter is into photography, music, art. She loved Italy and all the statues she saw there. She loves to write and is enamored by the fact that New York has an underground city. (at least in her mind it does)

Can you recommend some nice places to stay in Upper West Side and Greenwich Village that would fit our budget?
Thank you~
Gypsygurl
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM

In Upper West Side, Excelsior hotel could be a good choice.
Nice rooms and suites, some with view on the natural history museum.
Staff was sometimes rude, but it's now 6 years we have not been there(our courant adress is Flatotel).
There is a subway line near, corner 81st and Central park West.
Some restaurants with a teenager(adress which have the favor of our teenager...) :
Oyster bar at Grand Central,
Ocean Grill in Upper west side,
Grimaldi's at dumbo,
Bridge cafe near southstreet seaport,
Virgil BBQ near Times square,
a steakhouse(Gallagher's or ben benson's or Uncle jack)
a burger at Jackson hole(the one in upper east side)
peking duck in Chinatown,
Aureole and Gramercy tavern for an excellent meal.

Some musicals,
some museums with particulary the museum at FIT(fashion institute), the international center of photography, the police museum,moma and met(depending/expositions).
Natural history museum(future expo on luminescent oirganisms, vegetal and animal...), museum of the city of NY.

and evidently, shoping and shoping...

Walk is not a problem while in NY since there is always something to see.

Some other ideas : a walk in Rockfeller center to find all the patios and fountains...
an ethologic day(Ellis Island on the morning and then lower east side with the tenement museum...).
A day in Chelsea, Soho,...for the galleries and mode...
Erik
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM

My daughter is into photography, music, art.

Go on-line to Time Out NY, that has the what is occuring in NY that week and is designed for the downtown/Brooklyn under 35 set.
http://newyork.timeout.com/

There will be extensive lisiting for music and art. Also if she likes writing there are all sorts of reading and poetry slams, which I am positiive she will love.

As noted above The International Center for Photography has a wonderful permanent collection and MoMA is the best modern art museum in the world.

For restaurants I would suggest:

Katz's, have her get her own sandwich and slip the guy a buck for a thicker sandwich

Motorino-could be the best pizza in town

Veniero's-great, great but inexpensive Italian pastries

Chinatown-Big Wong or NY Noodletown or fro dim sum-Nom Wah, Jing Fong or Golden Unicorn and a must stop at the Chinatown Ice Cream factory.

I am not sure what she imagines as an underground city besides the subway. But if you take the Number 6 Lexington local downtown to Brooklyn Bridge do not get off when they tell you and the train will pass a closed station that was one of the first in the system and come around on the uptown side. Also go to the first car on any subway and look at the window of the front door and see where the train is headed.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM

For a very nice - relatively "quiet" area - Greenwich Village has tree lined streets and mostly 4 story high buildings, - and my favorite, inexpensive - European style Hotel (with a good continental breakfast) is The Larchmont. Yes, the rooms are small - and the shower and WC are down the hall - but it works for me, especially at around $100 a night - $20 more on Fri/Sat nights.
http://www.larchmonthotel.com/

Now if my wife is along - there are also some other - more upscale hotels in the area - such as the Washington Park Hotel.

The Chelsea area on the West side is also like that, and the Chelsea Lodge offers some bargain accommodations, with showers in the room and the WC in the hallway. http://www.chelsealodge.com/ There are also more upscale hotels in the area if you so choose.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Also - if you want an authentic French Bistro meal - especially for the price - it's hard to beat Tout Va Bien - on West 51st is it - and see my review in here - under the New York State page.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:05 AM

For art there are loads of private galleries in the SOHO area. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a world class don't miss experiance. Next to the Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of New York is one that is often overlooked but well worthwhile with a very nice art collection.

One restaurant we always enjoy is a French Country place called Les Sans Culottes located on the west side of 2nd ave just north of 57th st. www.lessansculottes.com
The place is a hoot, the food very good and the prices reasonable. If you like French Country Sausage it is the place to go in NYC. You get a large rack of different varietes and whack off as much as you want, together with a basket of raw veggies and crock of pate before your entree arrives - all included in the entree or prix fixe price.

As nice as Lincoln Center is as a music venue, it is hard to beat the history of Carnegie Hall. For a music lover, it is a must visit.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM

1) You give a hotel budget but don't say for how long or when. Hotel prices do fluctuate by date (rule of supply and demand) and the fall tends to be pricey.

Beaconhotel.com is the nicest place on the upper west side and you will all love it. It's more like serviced apartments. You can get a 1 or 2 bedroom suite there (you have to email or phone about rates for the 2 bedroom) with small kitchen. There are also a few lovely b & b's in that area that might accommodate the 3 of you. www.wymanhouse.com is probably the nicest.

There aren't many hotels in Greenwich Village. wshotel.com is in a great location but is a pretty basic European style hotel. west-eleventh.com is a b & b that has some larger apts.

Further south in Tribeca, the Canal Park Inn has a nice suite with outdoor terrace. http://www.thecanalparkinn.com/about.asp

Be aware that most private apartment rentals are considered illegal in NYC so stick to suite hotels or b & b's. Affinia.com is a group of suite hotels mostly in midtown. Their Affinia Dumont and Affinia Shelburne are somewhat less hectic locations. Also, the Best Western Hospitality is a really nice smaller suite hotel in midtown east (a bit more residential) that has some 2 bedroom suites and includes breakfast.

2) There's loads of photography to see in various museums and galleries (including the International Center for Photography). She can even take a course on how to take better photos if she wants.
http://www.photowalkabouts.com/

3) "Excellent" is different things for different people. What's excellent food/restaurants for YOU?
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM

When in fall are you coming. That's high season for NYC - and the rates climb higher as yuo get towards Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Agree on the upper west side to look at the Beacon (fro choice), Lucern, Excelsior and On the Ave.

For a splurge meal we figure about $125 to $150 per person. Dinner in a decent neighborhood place is $80 or so for 2 people - assume $100 for 3 since you daughter won;t be having wine. Obviusly you can go more budget - esp for lunch - and if you stick to a lot of ethnic places. Upper west side has a ton of good, inexpensive neighborhood places.

Also don;t know what your daughter means by an underround city. Besides the subway there are some underground passages - with shops and restaurants under park of Rock Center - but certainly not large parts o fthe city.

For discount broadway shows go to broadwaybox.com about 3 months out and order tickets to be held at the box office. This will give you beter options than waiting until you get here and wasting time on line at the TKTS booth - and better chance for sets for 3 people together.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM

I suggest that your daughter do some research so that you know what it is that she really wants to do and see.

I am thrilled to say that Peter and the Star Catchers is coming to Broadway this spring. I saw its last off Broadway performance and I hope it runs forever. It is the beginning of a 6 book prequel to Peter Pan that is not the story that was on the SyFy channel.

Closer to your dates, do check my blog. I may be heading to out of the way places that your husband will appreciate.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM

I agree that the Larchmont is cheap, but I would never recommend it, especially if your husband wants to avoid crowds. The rooms are small and bathrooms shared. My bathroom was old, rusty, with a nasty shower/bath. Your daughter would never forgive you
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Have you bought your guidebooks yet?
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM

My kids really enjoyed visiting the United Nations. You can take a tour and see the General Assembly room and get a lot of great information.