Where to Stay in NYC

Search

Where to Stay in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Stay in NYC

I travel to NYC for business somewhat frequently and usually stay in Midtown. Thinking of bringing my wife up for a weekend after a conference (in Midtown) in April. We've stayed in Midtown for weekends before, but usually find ourselves on the train to other parts of the city most of the time.

We're mid 30's, enjoy walking cool neighborhoods, hitting a few bars and good meals out, though generally go for smaller, local restarants over expense account places, and prefer trendy to "historic" and "landmark" restaurants. We will not be seeing a show.

If you were us, what neighborhood would you focus on, and do you have any favorite hotels there? As this is on our dime, we'd like to keep the cost down (say, $250) but will go over that for a great place. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
QC

The Lower East Side sounds like a good match.

Try:

The Hotel on Rivington
107 Rivington St
New York, NY 10002
(212) 475-2600

There are tons of super-trendy bars, shops, and restaurants a short walk away.

Be aware that your idea of trendy may be really different from their idea of trendy. A little more information would be helpful.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM

Another option is the upper west side. Incredibly diverse, tons of wonderful moderate and inepensive restaurants (of every possible ethnicity), cafes and bars - plus close to Central Park and a bunch of the uptown museums. And there's great transport to other parts of the city - two subway lines and a bunch of buses - plus it's usually easy to get a cab.

The Lucerne always gets good reviews and is in a perfet location for transit and museums.

Not so trendy as downtown - but completely different than midtown.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM

it seems wherever we stay we are going to other parts of the city....instead of just staying where we are....but if you do end up not finding what you want in one of the neighborhoods, for non-business and being there, we like the MIchelangelo Hotel - quiet, lovely inside, and we've gotten great webs on their web site before-
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

Although it is midtown, I loved the Blakely when I last visited and it seems to fit within your budget. It is the former Goreham Hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:52 AM

The challenge is to find ANY hotel in one of the neighborhoods you're talking about and then, to have it be affordable. Soho is an option although don't know about price. The Soho Grand, the Mercer and 60 Thompson are the good options in that area.

Agree the Rivington is another idea, but the area is still a bit rough around the edges.

Staying in the village could be fun but not too many choices. Maybe look at Abingdon Guest House or West 11th St. Townhouse if you don't mind a non-traditional place. The Washington Square has a terrific location but doesn't get great reviews on tripadvisor.

Chelsea could be fun. The Hampton Inn Chelsea or the Four Points Sheraton are in decent locations although certainly not fancy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM

For what you are describing, I enjoy the UWS. Can't help with hotel ideas - I stay with friends. Maybe take a look at the Priceline zone map to see what comes up at www.betterbidding.com. If they are putting rooms on Priceline, maybe they offer deals as well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:23 AM

The Cosmopolitan Hotel on Chambers Street in Tribeca is way below your price limit, although it may be too basic for you. You can check it on on Trip Advisor. Good location as you can walk to much of downtown Manhattan from there including lots of bars and places to eat.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:28 AM

Because you travel to NYC frequently, you might consider staying somewhere other than Manhattan to try a new atmosphere. It sounds like you might really enjoy Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope. There is a Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge- perhaps someone can provide more info/opinions on that?
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/NYCBK

Brooklyn Heights is a quick hop into Manhattan on the A train, but has plenty of charm and interest on its own- beautiful views, great food (try Grimaldi's for pizza and the Ice Cream Factory), and really pretty streets. In addition, you're close to Park Slope (one of my favorite neighborhoods), where you can visit Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens (which will be beautiful in April!) and walk through the lovely brownstone-lined streets. There are also some nice restaurants there.

Just an option to consider!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Red Roof Inn is a good place. It's in "Korea town" several blocks from Penn Station. Great area and very accessible. Great price for a great hotel!

http://www.epinions.com/content_194346126980
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM

a second vote for the Lucerne in the upper west side. very nice.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Red Roof Inn is reasonably priced and is modern/clean.

Here's my review:
http://www.epinions.com/content_194346126980
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM

I always plot our seeing, doing, dining, show tickets, on a map, then decide where to stay.

If we have show tickets, Midtown is just so convenient for walking to the theaters and restaurants.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I would second the suggestion for The Blakely Hotel on 55th between 6th and 7th. My husband and I just returned from our stay there, and we really enjoyed its location. Away from the intense crowds in Times Square, yet a great central location for walking to lots of restaurants, Central Park, Lincoln Center; Upper West and East Sides, also, easy access to subway at Columbus Circle to get to Greenich Village, etc. The Museum of Modern Art is right around the corner (on 53rd), and it's also within a reasonable walking distance to the Met. Some good restaurants right around there (and I'm sure there are many others): Red Eye Grill on 7th and 57th (trendy), Bar Americain on 52nd (trendy), Angelos on 57th for great NYC-style pizza.

It's a small boutique hotel, with really nice rooms at reasonable rates -- good linens, nice bathroom with whirlpool tub, wetbar area with refrigerator, microwave. We will definitely be staying there again.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
GoTravel

I love staying downtown in the Financial District and partying and dining in the East Village (Alphabet City), Chelsea, SoHo and Murray Hill.

www.DowntownNY.com

Hotels are less expensive.

It is so much quieter at night downtown and gives you more of a NYC 'feel' than Midtown.

By accident (I wasn't paying attention) I recently bid on a hotel room in any area of Manhattan and ended up with the Milford Plaza. While the hotel was fine, the location drove me insane; West 45th Street! Yikes! I had to fight my way through 100,000 screaming kids at MTV's TRL in the middle of Times Square.

Never, ever, ever again.