Search

A/C in Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C in Kauai

I noticed that most condos in Kauai have no air-conditioning, just ceiling fans, and no daily maid service. Isn't air-conditioning needed in the summer? Also, if any of you know which condo units have air-conditioning, I would appreciate the room numbers. Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

We live on the north shore -- and use our ceiling fans most afternoons in summer, but rarely need to use our bedroom A/C. The tradewinds are usually consistent at 10-20 mph, and the temperatures always go down to the mid- to upper-70s by bedtime.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, auntiemaria. It seems like the beautiful north shore would be cooler anyway. It would be lovely to stay there part of the time.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM

BUT...what about security and noise? This REALLY concerns me , not to mention that I live in a high humidity/hot state and have heard MANY people say the same about HI.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM

The noise! You know it! That damn ocean keeps breaking all night long, and then before you know it, you have to listen to birds singing outside. I'd much rather listen to the constant drone of of an air conditioning unit.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Truly you don't need the AC 96% of the time because of the strong breezes that are usually adequately flowing through the condos that we stayed in. Of course you could hit a very calm hot period in Kauai, but we were there over the 4th of July a few years back and found the temperature as perfect as you can get, and being from the hot/humid midwest in the summer it was quite a awesome positive shock to us.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Let me lay your concerns to rest - there is no comparison between Hawaii and the South!

The average mean temperature on Kauai is never above 85 or below 80 in any given month. The only noise that ever bothered me was a rooster (chickens were scattered around the island by Hurricane Iniki in 1992 – and they have been “multiplying” ever since!) crowing a little too early in the morning. I think there is a grand total of 5 big trucks on the island, not counting the 4x4’s with oversized tires favored by local surfers.

We had a/c in my unit at Hanalei Bay Resort, but we never turned it on. Of course, HBR is on the north shore as well. I also spent a month with family from July to August on the islands interior [near Wailua – which is about center] and we never used a/c there either. It was definitely noticeably hotter in the summer, but never came close to the kind of heat I suffered through in Alabama!

Security? I never felt unsafe for even a minute on Kauai. One thing I will say is this; plan on leaving your car doors unlocked – that way you don’t leave anything in your vehicle worth taking. I’m not saying that car break-ins are common, but they can happen in more secluded spots. If you leave the doors unlocked, they’ll be able to see for themselves that you didn’t leave the Hope Diamond in the back seat and wont need to break any windows finding out. ;o)

It’s not as though you have to worry too much about car theft…

All the best and aloha!

Yates
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the reassurrances. I just know that my sis was in TEARS of dissatisfation at her B&B on Kaui a couple years ago...part of it being no A/C...but when she called ahead to the BI, the B&B there actually obtained/installed a window unit for her! Now she has ALWAYS been A/C addicted, so that was part of it, I'm sure.

BUT, I have also been a safety nut for years...& had a bad experience one time with the windows up at night. (Not tragic, just scary).

In addition, I also am aware of increased reports of violence/invasion on some islands in the carribean, which were previously thought to be so 'safe'.

And, you joke. but being from AL, childhood memories of grandma's house with the roosters crowing at 5 AM, and the same scene on STT not long ago, makes it a real concern to me! Oh yeah, we have birds here too! (Ha!).

I have always been a light sleeper, what can I say? I even use earplugs AND light obliterating drapes in my bedroom! OK, now for all the freaky AL jokes!...Belle
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

I understand that a/c may not be necessary because of the trade winds, but alas, we're not going in December or even April. We are going in August, which I'm told is the hottest time of the year in Kauai. So it my concern is it may be the one week in Kauai when a/c would be nice!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:10 PM

We stay on Poipu every year in the summer in a condo with no air. Instead there are wooden louvers so saftey isn't an issue (you could also request a 2nd floor unit). Occasionally we've asked for a floor fan on a very hot day but we've never wanted a/c.