Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Air conditioning on south shore Kauai in July?

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Is it true that ac is not necessary when staying in Kauai (poipu) in July? The temps are supposedly upper 80's daytime and 70's night time. I am planning a trip and can't seem to find condos on the oceanfront with AC? I've read comments about the tradewinds, but are they consistent and does the condo have to face a particular direction for them to cool sufficiently? Can someone shed some light on this?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM

The 3 condo places I've stayed at Poipu were all built to take advantage of ocean breezes, and I've not seen air conditioning. I've never been there in the summer, but you should have no problem if nighttime temps are in the 70s.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I have been to Kauai a few times in the summer and A/C is most likely needed. It can get very humid. Both times I stayed in the Lihue area, which is not far from Poipu. We were on the ocean, but near the Lihue Bay, so maybe we didn't get those tradewinds
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I think you are going to have a hard time finding condos with a/c on Kaua'i. The only ones that I know of are at Hanalei Bay Resort up on the north shore and a unit or two at the Cliffs. Auntie?
-Bill
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Ag3046

I would heartily encourage you to find a place with A/C. I stayed at the Hyatt Poipu in July and really needed the A/C.

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I agree with Ag. Breezes that lower temps. into the 70s - if you're lucky - don't cut it with me. I like to be cool while I sleep.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:52 PM

I have stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu each visit, and could not be without A/C. It is so humid in the summer. They have a ceiling fan there too, but we only use it in the early morning. Have to sleep with the air on.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM

We stayed in a condo @ Kiahuna Plantation last July and found there was no need for air conditioning. If we had been back here on the East Coast we would have been desperate for it but those trade winds are amazing.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM

I have never felt I needed AC anywhere I've stayed in Hawaii. The majority of the condos in Poipu weren't built with AC and since the cost of electricity is among the highest, owners aren't rushing to add AC. It is pretty standard for condos to have ceiling fans and that along with trade winds and cooler evening temperatures keep me cool to sleep.

If you are dead set on AC then look for the newer condos such as Regency or spend time asking around.

Alan
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM

AC is absolutely necessary of you want to spend any time at all inside during the day. Otherwise you're brain like your computer will cease to work when overheated.

If you are a hardy sort you may be able to get through the nights with an overhead fan but I'd recommend AC for tourists in general.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Sorry to butt in about our stay, Catherinee, but we are planning to be at Anini Beach on the north side early to mid June. Of course, no a/c, but from what I understood from the owners from the rental house that it was not needed. Hope we didn't make a mistake because my husband does not do well in heat and humidity. Thoughts?
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM

This is a highly individual thing. My husband and I sleep at 65 degrees and have for MANY years. Therefore, if I get more warm than that I have a miserable nightmarey night. Others are used to sleeping at warmer temps. and don't mind doing so. When I'm on vacation, I expect to be comfortable! I'm not willing to gamble on temperatures. If there's A/C then I have control. If I don't have to use it, which is extremely rare, then great! If you typically sleep comfortably at 75 degrees, I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM

"""This is a highly individual thing"""

You are so right, crazy4. For me, at 65 degrees I would have to wear a down parka to bed.
8-)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Kauai can be very hot starting in May and on through September in the upper 80's and 90's.

October to April is the reverse with lows possible in the high 40's and 50's when you might want to use some heat or an extra blanket.

In addition, you can get these kinds of extremes anytime but the season guide above is fairly predictable. Here is the Weather Channel average temperatures and record temperatures for Lihue, Kauai.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USHI0060

The tourist industry usually quotes average temperatures.

When you throw Kona winds and trade winds in there, leeward or windward side of the island, add rain, differences of elevation and you are talking about a more unpredictable climate than most people imagine.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Please note:

On the weather channel site, you'll have to check the boxes at the top for record temps to show the extremes for the year.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. I will now start looking for an a/c condo. I know it won't be easy. we're from Chicago and are somewhat used to hot humid summers--but we also have our air on june - sept. nonstop. Its partly the luck of the weather during the particular week we'll be there--big differene between low 80s and upper. My responses were pretty split down the middle, so yes, it is an individual thing. If anybody knows of a condo with a/c let me know. I've looked at a few which are already booked for mid July.