Air conditioning necessary in Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Kauai for the first time in early-mid April. The condo we are considering is in Poipu and does not have A/C, but does claim to be right on the water & has ceiling fans. Do you think that would be OK that time of year or is A/C a "must"? We like it cool at night to sleep but will probably be at the beach or exploring the island during the day so the temp in the condo won't matter much during that time.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM

I've been to Poipu several times in condos---with AC and without at various times of year. Since I like it cool and non-humid at night for sleeping, I much prefer the units with AC winter or summer. However, many people are perfectly happy without AC, letting the trade winds blow through the open windows plus ceiling fans. It's all a matter of personal preference. If you like AC at home when the weather is in the 80's and moderately humid, you might like the same in Kauai.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM

It is totally a function of personal preference. We have been staying in different condos, and different times of the year, in Poipu for the last 25 years and never felt the need for AC. The ceiling fans and trade winds do the trick.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:01 PM

I would not be in a room without a/c in Poipu. We only travel during school vacation months in summer though. You come back from the beach and it is hot and humid and worse for sleeping. A ceiling fan only blows hot air around. Perhaps April is cooler than summer months.

Perhaps if you come from an area where you are used to heat and humidity you will take it better.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I used to really panic about not having air conditioning but have really come around to a different thinking for Kauai. I would never consider living without at home, but on Kauai, I'm not dressing for work or a fancy night out. I know I'll be uncomfortable for about a day and then I just sort of mellow and warm humid air is part of the vibe I love so much about Kauai. One night, when it rained so badly that we had to close all windows, I was uncomfortable and had trouble sleeping, but otherwise it really does work out.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<We like it cool at night to sleep>

i think you might appreciate AC then?

It depends how strong your preference, how cool at night you need it to be comfortable. Or if you can get used to and sleep with it warm, windows open, fans going, hopefully some natural breezes. I haven't been to Kauai but know I sleep better in Hawaii in a hotel room w/ AC. I'm sure if I am ever lucky enough to live there, then I'd get used to local style instead.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Never had it, never needed it. I can't imagine wanting to be sealed up, windows closed, a/c on, in Hawaii. But apparently others do so I guess it's personal preference.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I have to have it (have tried both ways). I sleep with the windows open in winter at home (temperate California climate), so obviously I like it cool at night. Fans don't cool it off enough for me, and actually, I dislike the air movement.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Spent 4 fairly rainy/stormy days in Kaapa in Feb a few years back and would have had trouble sleeping without A/C. It wasn't overly warm, but the 100% humidity made it uncomfortable. And the stormy weather we experienced would not have allowed for fully opened windows anyway.

If you want to be cool at night, I'd recommend getting it. Then use it if you need it, don't if you don't. One less thing to worry about.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Which condo complex are you considering? Some have better exposure than others.

The trade winds blow from the east generally, so if your unit has a good exposure to the winds and decent flow through you w
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM

ill be more comfortabele.