Search

5 days near Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days near Philadelphia

Hi Fodorites:
I'm likely going to be in Philidelphia at the start of August for a conference, and I'm considering adding 5-7 days to the itinerary either before or after the conference.

I've never been to the eastern US and I'm quite interested in seeing as much as possible on a budget. Looking at the map, it seems that Washington and New York aren't that far off.

I can arrange for a rental car but if I don't need one, that's money saved for something else.

I just bought a house so money's a little tight, but this is a chance to see an area that I never have before.

If anyone has any ideas of an itinerary or must-sees, or any other advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
Tyler
[email protected]
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM

you can definately connect to the ne corridor train line in philly and go into nyc for the day. it will be about 1.5 to 2 hours each way, but you aren't driving. check out amtrak and njtransit, pa's speedline (all trains)

if you are in reasonable shape, you can get to most of the ny things to see by walking. although taxis are easy in the city just $$.

In Philly go to the historic sites and great museums or the philly zoo. take an evening stroll on South St.
eat at the cosmopolitan (and i suppose Pat's cheesesteaks - please no debates on the best, i just can't remember the other guy)

you can also catch the train to dc. this will be about 2 plus hours. again the NE corridor. metroliner, amtrak

Union STation is within walking distance of the capitol and the mall area where you can go to the smithsonian and the monuments.

again since you are not driving, you can have a good but long day.

Old May 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Amtrak to either NYC or DC is easy - and trains run almost hourly. However I certainly would not travel back and forth.

If possible fly into Philly and out of either NYC (for preference in August - not SO hot) or DC. Then just stay a few days in each place.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM

I have an idea. Check out musikfest.org. The Lehigh Valley has a huge music festival that runs August 5th-14th. Huge. 15 stages indoor and outdoor. Features headline performers. Most stages provide free entertainment. Everything from classical to jazz to polka bands to folk to rock to alternative to you name it! And the performers are top knotch. Only the finest get to play the festival. And the food!!! Anything and everything. Something for everyone. It gets crowded and parking is a pain but you could easily spend the whole day there and it is enjoyable. Street performers galore. Check out the website...there are actually quite a few. Its about 1 hour north of Philly.
And I agree....NY my favorite city is a must! But it can get pricey.....
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:13 PM

I like nytraveler's idea of flying into DC and out of New York or visa versa. You could consider doing one city for a few days, attending your conference, and then finishing in the other city as one is north and the other south of Philadelphia. Train travel is easy and you won't want a car in those cities. Check the destinations section here for suggested must-sees. Unfortunately, August is very warm, but, if you're like me, I'd rather see these areas in August than not see them at all!

A few NY highlights: Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Empire State Building, the Met, Central Park, Broadway plays, shopping... the list is endless. Washington DC: the capitol, White House, Smithsonian museums, monuments, Arlington cemetery, etc., etc.

Have fun starting your planning!