New York City by Train

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City by Train

Considering train to NY from Wash DC. Drive from NC to DC, park car and train in to NY city. Spending 2 nights at Millennium Hotel. Wife and I are both in our seventies so thought this might be a good option.
Would spend a day or two in DC on return trip from NY. Have been to NY but years ago. Visited DC a couple of times in past 10 years or so.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:48 AM

I take Amtrak from Phila. to NYC, and think it's the best way to travel there.

Not sure what other info you are looking for, so let us know.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where in NC? I live in NC and often take the train if I want to go to DC. It is a long day to take it all the way to NY, although should be easier than driving part way, but for NY I usually fly Jet Blue out of RDU.

Where would you park the car in DC? Since I usually sleep in Crystal City I get off the train at Alexandria and take the metro from there, otherwise you get on/off at Union Station.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Is there a reason why you would not fly from NC to NYC?
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not take the #80 Carolinian from High Point? Another option is to drive to Staples Road (Richmond) and take one of the Northeast Regionals from there. Don't drive into Washington DC and expect to park anywhere near Union station.
I understand not flying into any of the New York airports and getting a taxi to the hotel. The last time I was in NYC was in October 2001 about 5 weeks after 9/11. If I ever go back it will be by train.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:01 AM

Not sure of your time frame or desires but I usually take the train from the BWI (Baltimore Washington) station north. They have ample parking (not free). BWI and Union Station are about equidistant from my home.

Will your D.C. hotel have free parking for you? DH and I used to stay at a Holiday Inn near the airport when we had early flight. The hotel had "free" parking and a shuttle to the airport. Maybe double check HI's in D.C. and see if you could leave your car there for the duration of your trip.

Please report back about what you end up doing and how it worked out.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:19 AM

I understand not flying into any of the New York airports and getting a taxi to the hotel.
Jet Blue flies into JFK, from which I take the Air Tran and metro. Taking a taxi is (a) expensive and (b) liable to get you stuck in traffic. I did once take the Shuttle, and it took ages.

Why not take the #80 Carolinian from High Point?
Need to know where in NC the OP lives.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
East of I-85, drive to Richmond (Staples Mill Road). West of I-85 Park in High Point or Greensboro take the Carolinian.
The airports I might try are BWI or EWR (Newark). They each have an Amtrak station to get on a Northeast Regional into Penn Station.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 02:51 PM

I live west of I-95 in NC and I certainly wouldn't drive to High Point! I have three Amtrak stations within less than a 30 minute drive, none of which are High Point or Greensboro.