Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 Nights In & Around Charleston - then 4 Nights in New York - need help deciding on adding Atlanta

Search

4 Nights In & Around Charleston - then 4 Nights in New York - need help deciding on adding Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are planning a trip to Charleston this June for a wedding and then are planning to do a visit to New York from there. We are coming from the West Coast and it will be my wifes first trip east.

So far we are planning 3-4 nights in Charleston with a full day trip to Savannah. Then we are thinking of either flying straight to New York for the final 4 nights, or as an alternative going to Atlanta for 1 night.

We can do Atlanta in between the 2 stops and we aren't totally opposed to the drive, especially if we do it after we visit Savannah for the day. I have visited all of the towns at one point or another (don't rembember Charleston at all - since I was a wee little one!).

Just wondering what others ideas might be - we may not make it back to the east coast for some time and those the South and New York are our only focus.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've lived here all my life.
I love living here.
But, if I had your travel plans, I'd spend my time in Charleston/ Savannah and then NYC rather than spending time in Atlanta (especially in June).
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I agree. I've lived in Atlanta for many years now and I love it here -- but don't skip a night in Charleston or NYC for a night in Atlanta. It's not worth the trip for just 1 night and those other places are more tourist friendly.

If you're going to spend the night somewhere other than Charleston or NYC, add it in Savannah. That seems like a long day trip to me and I'd spend at least one night.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips - I am pretty much leaning towards skipping Atlanta - 4+4 with the possibility of Savannah for one of the nights looks like what we will settle on. It will probably save us money as well.

Thanks again!
Will post more questions once we get the details more in focus...
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I love living here too, but I would never recommend Atlanta as a tourist destination. Enjoy Charleston and New York.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM

If you need another vote, I'd skip Atlanta too.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
But, if business or other travel brings you to Atlanta, we'll help you have fun in Atlanta.

Just don't lose a day from a Charleston/Savannah combo and NYC