Romantic things to do in Philly in January

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic things to do in Philly in January

Hello, everyone.

This is my first time posting, so if I come across as a bit naive, bear with me (!).

I just booked a romantic getaway to Philadelphia with my wife of 14 years. We'll be staying at the Courtyard Downtown Marriott on 21 Juniper Street this month, over Martin Luther King Weekend. I don't know Philly well. The hotel is about 1/2 mile away from Independence Hall, the Sheraton Society Hill, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions about what I might plan to do with her over the weekend, of a romantic nature? Perhaps the women on this forum might have some suggestions of places to go or things to do?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM

What do you like to do? Define romantic. I could certainly recommend some excellent restaurants. I'm particularily fond of the Continental in Old City, but I don't know if anyone but my husband and myself find it romantic.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM

I lived in Philly for two years and yet, beyond romantic dinners, I'm stumped for a good answer. I was going to suggest the opera, but it doesn't appear that the Opera Company of Philadelphia has any performaces in January (bad luck, it's a lovely experience): http://www.operaphilly.com/

If you are interested in classical music, maybe a performace at the Kimmel Theater would appeal: http://www.kimmelcenter.org/

Both venues are an easy walk from your hotel. In fact, you are situated in the very center of the city (next to City Hall), so there is very little that isn't within walking distance for you!

How about a horse-drawn carriage ride? Seinfeld ruined the romance of this for me, but I'm sure many women would enjoy it! More details can be found here:

http://www.phillytour.com/category.asp?ID=1

On second though, perhaps a carriage ride in January isn't the smartest idea!

Ok, onward. Tea at the Ritz? It's just on the other side of City Hall from your hotel. I've heard that it is served in the rotunda and is a fun experience...though maybe more geared towards little old ladies and therefore not romantic. Either I'm really bad on romance or Philly is...I'm not sure which is the case. Philly is good for dining though so maybe this is where you should focus your attentions! Tangerine is often mentioned as romantic though I've never tried it. I'm partial to The White Dog (in West Philadelphia, near UPenn campus), and it would be romantic especially if you requested to be in one of the smaller rooms (reservations recommended).

I'll keep thinking and will post again if I have any brainstorms. I hope you have a wonderful trip though, I'm sure your wife is going to enjoy it no matter what you plan.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:07 AM
stevefrat

The Philadelphia Museum of Art schedules events after hours (or during hours). Check the schedule of events on their site: http://www.philamuseum.org/

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Again, it depends on what you find "romantic." The best bet is to go to this URL:

http://www.gophila.com/Phila/EventsC...r/default.aspx

put in your start and end dates, choose "Center City" as your location, select Keywords or Categories of your choice, and then click [Search].

When I did a general search for Jan 18 to Jan 22, I found the Beatles tribute band "Rain" is at the Academy of Music, a Bernstein festival is at the Kimmel, a viola virtuoso at Curtis, Sleeping Beauty at the Arden, etc.

You can stroll the Italian Market, or the Diamond District, or general Center City for shopping.

I always recommend nearby Longwood Gardens, even in the dead of winter -- its Conservatory always has beauty.

The history and art in the city will be available no matter what the weather.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Cassandra

I love Longwood Gardens -- even in January, because there are several indoor gardens, courts, etc. You'll need transportation out there, but worth it for a floral stroll -- esp. nice if it's cold and mizzuble outside.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
mei

Longwood gardens is really nice and nearby is Simon Pearce...a glassblowing place with a beautiful restaurant. But you may want to stay in the city. I think Tangerine (Old City)is romantic and I like Brasserie Perrier too and I love the bar/lounge at Barclay Prime....very cozy. When my husband and I eat in Old City, we always take a long walk aroung the neighborhoods there. If you go to the art museum you could eat at The Waterworks. I was just there for lunch and really enjoyed it and it seems romantic to me...it would be really pretty at night overlooking the lights on boathouse row. I love the Continental, but I do not think it's romantic....very loud and that's where we take our kids.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions! Thanks to everyone. I'm in the midst of following up on several of them, but given that my wife also reads this site, I'm not going to divulge them lest I ruin the surprise (she'll probably figure it out anyway..she always does).

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Anything can be romantic...I think my wife finds it romantic when I go shopping with her.

Anyway, I think a great restaurant to fit your bill is Lacroix (pronounced something like "lakwa"). It is fantastic and overlooks Rittenhouse Square. You could eat there and then walk through the park, window shop on Walnut Street and stop for drinks at one of the great spots along Walnut Street.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
emd

I'm a woman, married 21 yrs, I'll chime in as we love Philly. I think the Italian Market is romantic and fun, all those barrels of pickles, big salamis hanging from the ceilings, and huge wheels of cheeses and great breads, and just strolling from market to market, stop and have a glass of wine, smell the great smells, walk some more. Also, the BEST pepperoni sticks I have ever found are there...

I also think the Mummers museum is romantic! It's unusual, very colorful, and fun. A fun place to explore together.

We like Chinatown too, some good inexpensive vietnamese and chinese food there. It doesn't have to be real pricey to be romantic. We liek discovering the lesser known gems, that is romantic for us.

At the Courtyard you are close to Reading Market, another romantic place! Lots of color, good food, flowers, unusual things, and friednly people there.

All those things make me want to run back to the hotel and snuggle up and stay warm! Very romantic stuff.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM

dmt16: I second the recommendation for Reading Terminal. It's my very favorite spot in Philly. On Friday and Saturday, Amish and Mennonite vendors will be there, but any day of the week you can enjoy the food, flowers and spectacle. It's a block east of your hotel and definitely worth at least one visit. If memory serves, the Courtyard doesn't serve breakfast so it would be a great place to go for either breakfast or lunch.

I hope you'll let us know what you decided upon when you are back from your trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Amy

You will be very close to the Naked Chocolate Cafe, at 1317 Walnut Street. Get some of the European style hot chocolate (I like the bittersweet) and a pastry and sit for a while in the cafe...mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Sensory bliss.

(and you could buy her some wonderful smelling soaps and such at duross and langel, close by.)

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

The Naked Chocolate Cafe...Sounds very intriguing....
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Amy

Well, actually, you can clothe the choc with whipped cream if you like, but, well, let's put it this way: 14 years, 14 minutes, doesn't matter; if he takes me to Naked Chocolate...(fill in the blanks here.)

www.nakedchocolatecafe.com
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM

I'd definately go with the Museum of Art but make sure it's a night when there is live music. Tour as much of the museum as you want but then make sure you get a drink and sit on the steps (not at a table). I was there on my own but just know that my partner would have loved it. Then when you are ready to leave choose the exit behind where the musicians are and soak in a fabulous view of the city. Have to say I missed any romance at reading market