From Savannah to Charleston

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

From Savannah to Charleston

My boyfriend and I are planning a 5-6 day trip for mid July and have been thinking about flying to Savannah for a few days, driving to Charleston for a few days and then flying home. Any ideas on whether this is a good idea? If so, does anyone know of good accomodations and itinerary for either or both cities? We don't want to break the bank and love little inns.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:53 PM
dln

Of course it's a good idea! The two cities aren't really that far apart. Take the road that hugs the coast, not the highway, and stop off at the charming town of Beaufort, which is midway between the two. Alot a few hours to stroll around Beaufort on the main street, and look in at the church and cemetary. It's very historic and beautiful.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. I checked Beaufort out online and it looks lovely. I actually had dinner with a friend last night who gasped when I mentioned it and informed me that she loved Beaufort when she was there, so thanks again for the suggestion!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:43 AM
bonniebroad

Lawyergirl, that's a wonderful idea. Love both cities, and you will have a great time if you don't mind a little heat and humidity. Just do your strenuous stuff early a.m., and see the A/C'd things in the afternoons. If you do a search on here for both cities, you will get a wealth of info. We were all just giving tips to Scarlett for Savannah. Maybe you'd like to do a search, then come back with any questions? And what's your dollar per night limits for lodging? (Where are you coming from?)

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Bonniebraod - thanks for your reply. I have to check out the tips for both cities you mentioned, but besides that, I think that we would like to try and spend under $125 per night with maybe one splurge. We are coming from New York so I was hoping to fly into Savannah and stay for 2 days, drive to Beaufort and either stay over night or just spend the day and finish up with 3 nights in Charleston before flying home. So many people have mentioned that they love both cities and that the hotels and B&B's are great and that Beaufort is gorgeous, but no one has told me the best hotel and B&B in any of those places. I would like something centrally located in Charleston, something on the water in Beaufort and something with a hammock under a tree in Savannah! Any advice would be great. I'll also check the threads for the Savannah and Charleston tips and come up with more specific questions. Thanks again! By the way, has anyone ever been to the water festival in Beaufort - is it worth planning to be there while it's going on? Also, since we are flexible with dates, does anyone know of any particular even in Charleston OR Savannah in the month of July that I should plan my trip around?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:49 AM
GoTravel

The best and highest rated B&B in Charleston is the Wentworth Inn. The best and most centrally located inn is The Planters Inn Charleston's only Relais & Chateaux. Charleston House is by far the nicest hotel.

Since July is low season, you should be able to get some of the nicest places in Charleston around your benchmark price of $125.

In Beaufort, The Beaufort Inn is the nicest place to stay and has the nicest restaurant. Fripp Island is also nice but you may have a hard time renting something on Fripp for under 7 nights.

As far as Savannah goes, I love both the Westin and the Hyatt but neither are B&Bs. Savannah is a little eccentric but it is one of my favorite cities.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I stayed at the President's Quarters in Savannah and loved it! It's located in the historic district, right off one of the squares (can't remember which right now). It's a lovely home that's really more of a small hotel than a typical B&B. You can have breakfast delivered to your room each morning, rather than having to eat with strangers (that was a plus to my husband and me). Each room is named after a different president, and they are all lovely. I believe the website is www.presidentsquarters.com and you can view different rooms on-line and even request the one you'd like. The prices were lower than some of the other B&B's in town and the location made it easy to walk to various squares and the river area. Be sure to eat at The Lady and Sons while you're in Savannah--it's delicious! Just make sure you make reservations b/c it is a busy place.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Lawyergirl:
We did the exact same trip as you are doing this past May. We had a great time. He also spent an afternoon in Beaufort.

Try this place in Savannah. It is the nicest place we have stayed, and it was cheaper than any other place we checked in Savannah.
http://www.zeiglerhousesavannah.com/

We stayed at a inn in Charleston also that we liked, that was very reasonable given Charleston's prices, and a great location. Here's that web site also.
http://www.governorshouse.com/

I can give you ideas on places to eat, etc. if you want - just let me know. You'll have a great time.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 01:38 AM
lyb

Another vote for President's Quarters. I stayed there 3 years ago and really liked it. Also a vote for Beaufort!

I did the similar trip as you are planning 3 years ago, but the opposite, we flew into Charleston, then went to Savannah, but we did go back to Charleston to fly back out of that city.

I'll take my journal and photo album out and gave you some details of what we did. My friend and I really loved, we liked Charleston a bit more than Savannah, but both cities are very interesting and the people were very friendly. I don't know where you live now, but if you're not used to humidity, be prepared! Also, I suggest you get bug spray, those little tiny bugs called, noseeums (sp?) really love to get you!

I'll be write more tomorrow with the details.

Lynn
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 07:11 AM

lawyergirl:
I'm one of those who liked Savannah better than Charleston. Just a laid back real Southern city with charm and great people.

We liked Charleston too, but found it very large in comparison, busy, busy, busy, commercial, and the people a bit uppity. We spent 3 days in Savannah and 4 in Charleston, and wish we had done the reverse.

The inn we stayed in in Savannah was great - you won't have a hammock, but you will have your own private patio to relax on with water fountains, flowers, wicker furniture, candles, etc. In fact it is really a whole "apartment" - combo bedroom, living room, bath with jacuzzi, and small kitchen, with the patio leading off that. It also had a private entrance. We found it super relaxing to get up, shower, put on the robes left for us, put on a pot of coffee, and retire to the back porch for an hour or so.

The inn is on the "prettiest street in Savannah" right in the middle of the Historic Distict. We had a car, but walked to everything. Everything's so close in Savannah and a pretty walk with all the different squares.

In Charleston, if you like Italian food, we love a place call Bocci's. We ate there again and again. Really nice intimate atmosphere, great food, but prices were unbelievably reasonable.

The Governor's House Inn that we stayed at we like alot also. Very, very nice inn, again in a great spot. They served a true gourmet breakfast each morning on this huge side porch. We didn't even need lunch! We also had the cheapest room - St. Michael's and were surprised how large and comfortable it was.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM

You may want to stop at Hilton Head on yor way to Charleston. Check www.biddingfortravel.com and www.Priceline.com for hotels.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM

Charleston:The Meeting Street Inn is quaint and a very central location to "the market" and many small shops and oodles of restaurants. The Roberts Mills House is nice also. Try High Cotton, Tristan, Henry's, Magnolia's, Poogan's Porch or 82 Queen for just scrumptious cuisine and a little history in some (you may dine with a ghost at Poogan's Porch, Poogan was a dog, by the way)http://www.poogansporch.com/
A sweetgrass basket is a "must have" souvenir while there, though you will find them much more expensive in the market, find them on some side roads on your way in or out of Charleston.
Hubby and I live about an hour away and go very frequently, if you want some more info let me know, though I'm leaving for Ireland next week!
Please, enjoy our fine state!
Jeri
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM

It's hard to beat the previous comments but if it's not too late, consider a midweek nite(s) at Sea Pines in Hilton Head. Both The Inn at Sea Pines and The South Beach Village Inn have current promotions. Both feel like they are off the beaten track & easily accesible to both cities. On the way to Beaufort consider a brief stop at Parris Island (graduation day parades are great). Ignore the heat-everything has AC!