Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 days/3 nts. in the Monterey area... what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking a trip to Monterey (from MJ) this weekend. We'll be there from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon.

I'm planning a whale watch trip on Saturday morning... and golfing at Spanish Bay on Sunday morning. Sunday is his 30th birthday too

Would you be so kind to tell me what you would do in this timeframe? Must see sights... restaurants... etc?

I would REALLY appreciate it--want to make my hubby's 30th amazing!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:52 AM

To see: The Monterey Aquarium, Point Lobos.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:26 PM

I really love the Santa Cruz pier. Hanging out along the water in Monterey, Carmel because it really is so different from the east coast, a couple of wineries [I know they are there but do not know names].
Also went to a restaurant in Monterey, at the end of Cannery Row but North of it by a couple of streets.... Restored Old mansion, wine cellar in basement, great antique look,drawing a blank for name but interesting and fun too.....any locals? had to climb a lot of steps in the front which was all terraced and planted.Enjoy!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM

I loved Seventeen Mile Drive. The scenery was amazing and we saw sea otters.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:43 PM

A drive down spectacular HW1 as far as Nepenthe Restaurant or Ventana Inn (restaurant, too) to turn back would give you one of the most outstanding views of California!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:44 PM

Don't miss Point Lobos - it is truly one of the most beautiful places I've been in California.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:23 PM

Definately head down Highway one through Big Sur! Absolutely beautiful.I would second Nepenthe's for a meal, and maybe a stop in Julia Phieffer Burns state park for a look at the breathtaking waterfall! The Monterey bay aquarium is really nice. Have a great time wale watching. I went last month and saw 3 kinds of whales. They are amazing creatures! Have a great time.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM

Great way to end the day golfing at Spanish Bay is to get a drink on the back patio and enjoy the bagpiper that plays every day at sundown for 1 hour as he walks the course.

Restaurant: FANDANGOS in Pacific Grove is about 10 minutes from Spanish Bay. Locals and visiting celebrities love it.

ROYS at Spanish Bay is also good. Watch the piper and then into Roy's for dinner. Get a reservation now.

Drive Hwy 1 as above poster suggested. If you do not make it to Nepenthe a closer stop is ROCKY POINT RESTAURANT about 12 miles south of Carmel. They have an outdoor deck overlooking the ocean and Bixby Bridge that is great spot for a beer in the afternoon or dinner in the evening. You will see the large sign on your right driving south on Hwy 1.

Aquarium is a must for first time visitors. Magnificient place.

Drive the coastal area from the Aquarium around Pacific Grove. It is free and as good of views as 17 Mile.

For great golf try Pacific Grove municipal. Poor man's Pebble Beach as Golf Digest called it. $42.00 for 18 holes and 9 of them face the ocean. Spanish Bay is a little more than that.

Enjoy the area. We live here and ain't gonna leave!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:44 PM

Depending on your budget, you could make it truly memorable with dinner at the Post Ranch Inn - plus having a big hole in your wallet

Second Nepenthe as a much less expensive place to look into.

yes, Point Lobos.

Stay in Carmel, possibly at the Doris Day property, the Cypress Inn.

Or if you want to stay in Monterey, try one of the B&B along the coast. Seven Gables comes to mind.

Another property to check is the Pebble Beach Lodge.

So many places, so little time! Have a great trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:05 PM

With a long weekend, you will have more than enough to keep you busy in the Monterey-Carmel-Big Sur area. If you still need another Northern California destination, I would suggest going to San Francisco, not San Jose.

As far as San Jose is concerned, in a paraphrase of the words of Gertrude Stein: "There is no there there." i.e., nada, null, niente, nothingburger.

And San Francisco, again Gertrude Stein put it best: "A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose."
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips! I can't wait.

Now what about restaurants... what are the best ones in Carmel?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:12 AM

We just got back from that area a couple of weeks ago and went on the whale watching cruise. Be sure you take Bonine for the motion sickness (even if you never experienced motion sickness before). I would have to say that at least 1/2 of the people on the cruise were getting sick. Also, be sure to dress VERY warm as it is FREEZING out there. I would also recommend going to the Julia Pfeiffer State Park to check out the waterfall. It's beautiful! And a drink & appetizers at the Rocky Point Restaurant is a must!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:17 PM

I grew up in Monterey and think just driving around is an adventure, but...you could take the 17 mile drive, but there are similar views just heading down Hwy 1 towards Big Sur (another poster mentioned Nepenthe which is worth one trip if you have never been just for the history (filmed the Sandpipers movie there). Walking around Carmel to visit the galleries, shops, pubs, etc is fun and you can also stroll Carmel beach at the bottom of the hill on Ocean Avenue. The Monterey Aquarium would work for a few hours one afternoon, however, I suggest calling ahead or going online to buy your tickets ahead of time to avoid the lines that form to get in on week-ends (you just pick them up at the window and go right in). It is a wonderful aquarium. The restaurant "Fresh Cream" is fantastic and we always hit "The Sandbar" restaurant on Wharf #2 in Monterey - for lunch or dinner (no alot of tourists know about it). You can sit right over the water and watch the otters frollic. Have fun!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
E

I have mixed feelings about 17 Mile Drive and Fisherman's Wharf, but for a first-time visitor I'd say they're worth some time. Note also that the Monterey Bay Aquarium sits at the end of historic Cannery Row; it's a rather sad strip of T-shirt shops now, but if you've read Steinbeck...
I second (or third?) Point Lobos. Try Rio Grill in the Carmel Highlands Center for a meal, it's just down the road from Point Lobos. You could also check out Carmel Mission for a bit of history.
Other restaurant ideas: Monterey's Fish House and Montrio, both in Monterey. Gianni's Pizza in new Monterey makes a great, garlicky pie if you're in the mood for something more casual.
Have fun!