Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leaving in 4 days for 20th anniversary trip to Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur. Looking for last minute info.

Search

Leaving in 4 days for 20th anniversary trip to Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur. Looking for last minute info.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big thanks to everyone who has posted on this area in the past months. It has made our planning painless!!

We arrive in SF on Oct 7, and will be driving down the coast via Hwy 1 landing at Tickle Pink Inn that evening.

Any suggestions of not to miss stops along the way? Where would be a good place for lunch and/or dinner on our way to Carmel? We're in no hurry!!!

I've noted that many of the fodorites favorite restaurants in this area require advance reservations. I am curious, do we need to reserve more than 6 hours in advance for most of the busier places?

Also, we'd like to visit some wineries... what would be some "not to miss" ?

We plan to have a leisurely time exploring Pt. Lobos, and some of the State Parks like Julia Pfieffer sp?, cruising down Big Sur...

Also plan on enjoying Carmel by the Sea, the Carmel Mission, Monterey... the Aquarium & Cannery Row, Pacific Grove, and possibly 17 mile drive.

We have 6 nights at the Tickle Pink, so I think we'll have plenty of time to explore.

Our last 2 days, October 11 & 12, the 10th Annual Old Monterey Seafood & Music Festival will be in Monterey, so we're looking forward to that as well. Has anyone experienced this? It sounds like great fun.

Any last minute suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Muchos mahalos.

Lisa

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:38 AM

Hi, Lisa!

You are arrving OCTOBER SEVENTH??!!!

Nobody will be working that day. We'll all be lined up trying to get our vote in for the next governor of this wild and wacky state!!!!

Just kidding!

If you are coming down the coast, try the Shadowbrook Restaurant in Capitola (near Santa Cruz). The restaurant is set steplike in several tiers down a small hill and ends at the banks of a river. You need to take the little cable car up and down (fun!) or there are some steps, if you feel like hiking up and down. Very popular place, reservations advisable. Great location, nice food.

There are plenty of recommendations on restaurants in Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Monterey in the Fodors postings. Check them out!

Have a great time and welcome to California!
Jason
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM

I think Santa Cruz is an excellent place to stop for lunch. In addition to the Shadowbrook, there is the wharf which has several restaurants and some great views. I like Stagnaros myself, which is down towards the end. Gilberts and Riva are good too. Down by the yacht harbor is the Crow's Nest, which is also a good restaurant. If you like Mexican food, El Palomar on Pacific Ave is good. It's downtown on the Pacific Garden Mall - some people love downtown, other's not so much. There are plenty of hippies and street musicians hanging around.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:35 AM

Wow - that will be an historic day to arrive in CA the day of the "election." I wonder if Ahhnold will be whippin' or feelin' up anyone special for the occasion? lol
Have a great time in one of my favorite cities - Carmel. Lunch at Pebble Beach while doing the 17-Mile Drive is always nice.
Paul
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:26 AM

If you arrive in SF around lunch and are going to switch over to Hwy 1 at that point you may want to eat at the RITZ CARLTON in Half Moon Bay. This hotel has been there only about 2 years and built in the style of the old East Coast hotels. Great views of the ocean and would be about a 45 minute drive from SFO. Then you leave there and continue on down HWY 1 to the Monterey Peninsula.

Another nice place for weekend lunch is Clint Eastwood's MISSION RANCH located behind the Carmel Mission. More great views of pasture and ocean.

Have a great trip! Weather has been fantastic the last few days.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:38 AM

From the airport, 92 to Hwy 1, please enjoy Half Moon Bay, see the Ritz Carlton, Duarte's for artichoke soup and across the street market for hot fresh bread and snacks to have in your room, up the road in Pescadero the redwoods in Memorial park, Pull over to see the beaches and views. Costanoa is a unique idea to see for lodge to tent options in one resort. Take your time and really enjoy the drive. Have you been here before, and may I ask what state you are from? Don't want you to miss your favorite interests. Lots of good explorers in this forum to customize your trip to what would most delight you. And do take lots of pictures, many of us will be most interested in your report on Tickel Pink!
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

Agree with all of J_Correa's recommendations if you're going to be in Santa Cruz. Downtown SC is fine, it's packed with lots of people who seem to hold their own (and hold their purses close) against the throngs of dirty hippies. Lots of funky boutiques, eateries, and some chain stores.

love
roxy
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 02:44 AM

I LOVE Tickle Pink....Have great memories and pictures.
Hope you do report on your visit there!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your insight!!

How fun to be arriving on the BIG ELECTION DAY. BTW... I'm blonde, what is lol?? I've read it a hundred times and I'm still trying to figure it out!

I'm re-thinking our afternoon on the day we arrive.... I'm feeling like we just need to spend a little time in SF, especially to get some photos of the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe from Baker's beach. I've been to CA many times as a young girl visiting family in Sacramento & have been to SF a few times, but not as an adult.

So, instead of heading south from the airport, We're thinking of heading north to the city, maybe do lunch there, & enjoying a few hours exploring.

So, that in mind, 2-3 hours in SF w/ a rental car, what not to miss? I'm a photographer, so most photographic spots will be calling my name.

Then I think we will head down the coast via Hwy 1 (just have to do the coastal drive - ie my screen name) at a leisurely rate. I think stopping in Santa Cruz is a great idea J_Correa. It might be a great time for pu pu's & a cocktail. I love hippies, musicians, and the whole funky thing ... we grew up in the 70's.

Bodi, we definitely will stop at Duarte's for sure - must try the artichoke soup ! Also, have plenty of film, 30+ rolls should be enough

We live 50 miles north of Chicago...
& our dream trip has always been to drive the Pacific Coast Hwy on a motorcycle. We're settling for a convertible this time around, but maybe someday we'll have 3 weeks to do the whole thing !!!

I'll post a report after.

Again, muchos mahalos! Lisa

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM

With several hours in San Francisco and with a car

and wanting to take photographs

I would recommend that you take the 49 mile Scenic Trail. You can type in "San Francisco Scenic Trail" on a search engine and get plenty of information on the trail.

Download a map and, while on the surface streets, there are Scenic Trail signs with a big "49" on them.

Enjoy! And again, welcome to California!

Jason
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Fabulous! Looking forward to your report! Do you have any of your photography online?

http://community.webshots.com/user/mrskbg
Ps. be sure to dress in layers, ready for anything.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the scenic info, Jason. Sounds interesting!

Bodi, I don't have any of my photography online... I'm a talented amateur (so people say), but will try to post some pics after this trip. I'm addicted to film, just can't make the digital jump (YET)

I'm understanding that the weather should be wonderful. Debating wether to bring a lightweight ski jacket or not. Otherwise, we've got the whole layer thing covered

Thanks so much, Lisa
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Makai1: bring your lightweight ski jacket. It's been relatively cool this last week. You never know. It can get pretty cold in SF, especially after the fog rolls in.

Enjoy!
Jason
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Duarte's usually has two soups -- artichoke and green chile. Many people ask for a half&half combo for more flavor!

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Ahhh...Duarte's artichoke soup followed by their blackberry pie. Heaven for sure. If you like oysters, don't miss their baked oysters on the half shell. Haven't been there for a while, so I'm not sure if they're still on the menu.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

lol...lot's of laughs??!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM

LOL - laughing out loud.

Another recommendation for Duartes in Pescadero. The soup is excellent and the ollalieberry pie is great - not as good as my mom's, but it holds it's own You can also buy the jam and syrup at the restaurant. We always pick up one or the other when we are there.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

J_Correa,

Laughing out loud.... OF COURSE! ;()

Thanks for the info on Duarte's... I must ask, what is ollalieberry ?? I have never heard of it. I will certainly give it a try.

I love to bring back jams & things like that for souvies...

Thanks again!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:30 PM

So you are in the know, I mispronounced Duarte's of years, it is Dew-Arts. Lol
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Bodi,

OH! Thanks so much... I would've said
Du-art-aaa's all day. No kidding, lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -