Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

N. California - SF, Wine Country or Carmel.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Andy

Hello, I have been to the bay area once before and saw most of the sights around the city, Marrin County and was in the Napa Valley for 2 days. I will be in Berkeley Oct. 2 and 3, but I am wondering where I should spend the weekend with my wife (we are in our late 20's). Should we stay in the City or Napa Valley, which we really enjoyed before, or is Carmel that outstanding that we should spend our weekend down there? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!
Andy

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:31 PM
David

Andy,

Definitely go to Carmel www.carmelbythesea.com The Central Coast of Cailfornia in the Monterey Bay Area www.monterey.com is spectacular. Whil;e you are there check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium, 17 Mile Drive, and Fisherman's Wharf. Carmel is a quaint town with many cafes and small shops. Accomodations in Carmel are expensive. You may want to look into staying in either Monterey or nearby Pacific Grove.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM
just

On a vacation a few years ago, my husband and I went to San Fran, Napa and Monterey/Carmel. Although I thought Monterey/Carmel was very nice, I preferred Napa significantly. It was one of the most beautiful places i have been, and you have so many vineyards and great restaurants to choose from.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:36 PM
J Correa

Since you've been to SF and Marin County, I would suggest the Monterey area.

In October, the weather on the coast should still be really nice. We sometimes get a little rain in October, but usually not much to speak of until November.

Carmel is a quaint, upscale village with lots of shops and art galeries.

Monterey is more diverse, some upscale things, some casual things. There is more night life and more attractions than in Carmel.

Pacific Grove is also nice, lots of B&Bs, more of a hometown feeling.

Big Sur is rustic and woodsy. There are a couple inns, lodges, and resorts with cabins.

North of Monterey is Santa Cruz, which is a beach town filled with all sorts of different people. The Santa Cruz mountains have several state and county parks if you want to tour the redwoods or do some hiking.

There is plenty in the area to keep a couple people busy for a weekend, it just depends on what types of things you would like to do.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM
kath

I would try Carmel/Monterey area this time. They also have winetasting and the Ocean views are very nice especially in Pacific Grove area, but it depends on where you live, maybe you live at the beach and waves crashing on rocks do not do anything for you. October is a nice time to be in the wine country (but busy).

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Andy

Thanks for the info, I think we will try Carmel/Monterey, since we have not seen the area before. Thanks again!