Mendocino or Carmel/Monterey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a California trip where we will be flying into SF and spending time in SF, Sonoma and maybe Napa, and then trying to decide if Mendocino or Carmel/Monterey would be a better option. We have 8 total days. What is there to do in these 2 locations and how do they differ? We are looking for some good food, wine, beaches, relaxation and scenery! Please advise. Thanks so much.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:40 AM

You'll find plenty to keep you busy in Carmel/Monterey and will tell all your friends that they should vacation there.
You'll fall in love with Mendocino but will want to keep it just your little secret.

What time of year?

If you decide on the northern option, for good food and relaxation check out www.storres.com

For a good feel of the area up north check out photos and info at www.gualala.com
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

We will be going from Aug 4-12 so soon! Now which area would you recommend? Is Mendocino very quaint... we do like some liveliness. We are both 30. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I am a fan of both areas. but i think they do have different energy is some ways. Mendocino area is much less crowded.

I think MOnterey is probably more of interest for a younger set in search of some night life.

Also, if you go to Monterey you can drive down to big sur, which is a a gift you should give yourself.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I would recommend Carmel/Monterey for you. Especially if you are looking for some liveliness (Monterey), along with quaintness and beauty (Carmel/Big Sur).

You will have an amazing time with either! Happy travels!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM

If your'e going to either, but Carmel especially, you'd better book accomodations like NOW if it's on weekend nights....they may even be full already.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM

From Santa Rosa (roughly the geographic center of Sonoma's wine region) Mendocino is a 100 mile drive while Carmel is closer to 200 miles. Both choices offer similar coastline, but Carmel/Monterey "benefits" from more infrastructure - allowing suburban sprawl, crowds, tour buses, etc. Mendo has great wine, a nice beach where the river opens into the ocean, and plenty of restaurants to choose from. If you want more of a nightlife there is a fun nightclub called Caspar Inn just a mile out of town. Check out their website:
www.casparinn.com

Monterey does have a wonderful acquarium, but it simply isn't worth the very long drive back through the Bay Area and beyond when you are already so close to Mendocino. Those 8 days will pass by too quickly.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM

It sounds as if Mendocino might be a bit introspective for your tastes. I go up to Mendocino to be more or less alone - the town is NOT "lively" on the same scale as Carmel, unless there is a festival of some sort on. That's a good thing for me - maybe not for you. I tend to spend my time in Mendocino exploring the back roads through the hills, walking on the numerous local beaches, maybe booking a massage. I'd go to Carmel and Monterey this time. Next trip, take a few days for the wine country, with an overnight to Mendocino and the Anderson Valley (a lesser-known wine region in Mendocino County).