Lodging/Dinning in Monterey Area

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging/Dinning in Monterey Area

Hi All we plan on going to Monterey the beginning of October. I would like to know where a good place to stay in the Monterey area. (checked trip advisor but it wasn't helpful reviews where very mixed)I would like an oceanview room. I would also like everyones suggestion on where to eat. Also if there are things to do off the beaten path I would be most interested. Thanks for you help.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Pretty broad questions.

Check the MONTEREY PLAZA HOTEL. It has rooms on the water and offers special rates sometimes. October may be tough as it is always a great month there.

Go to pacificgrove.org. They will list all the places in Pacific Grove. Better ocean views there than Monterey. The GREEN GABLE INN or the SEVEN GABLE INN are both located on the Monterey Bay with Bay views.

Dining: Click on my traveldawg name. You will pick up a lot of my comments on various places to dine in this area. It has about 1 million so it is hard to find a bad one. CASANOVA'S is great for lunch on dinner. Located downtown Carmel...Mission at 5th street.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Agree with the Plaza, it's a really nice place to stay. If you want something a little less expensive, check out the BW Beach Resort. It's located right on the beach and about a five minute drive to Monterey.

Casanova in Carmel is great as is Bouchee in downtown Carmel. In Monterey, we like the Whaling Station for really good steaks. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Spindrift Inn...awesome prices...wood burning stoves in the rooms, feather down comforters and beds...incredible staff....wine and cheese in the afternoon....
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Almost forgot, here are somethings from my trip this year...loved Monterey....the aquarium is a MUST

CARMEL

 Running 12 miles inland to the east of Carmel-by-the-Sea, the valley is an unincorporated township of sprawling ranches, rolling countryside and vineyards.
 Carmel Village & Carmel Valley Village is just a few miles east of Carmel off Carmel Valley Road. Locals and visitors enjoy the shops, restaurants, lodgings and wine-tasting rooms in the village.

MONTEREY

17 mile drive

Pebble beach

Cannery Row

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Fisherman’s Wharf

o Seafood restaurants, fish markets, and candy shops fill the air with delicious smells.

Historic Monterey
o Located at the southernmost curve of the beautiful Monterey Bay. Walking the streets of Monterey on the Path of History is a journey back through time.

Pacific Grove
o Point Piños Lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast. Open to the public Thursday through Sunday from 1-4 pm, its steady light continues to guide sailors safely through the bay.
o Butterfly Town, USA: From October to February, between 40,000 and 60,000 Monarch butterflies visit Pacific Grove on their annual migration to Canada.

A Taste of Monterey Wine Tasting Centers
700 Cannery Row, Monterey

 Come taste the wines of more than 60 local wineries, in two comfortable and convenient locations. Both feature winery maps and information, gifts and souvenirs with a Monterey or Wine Country theme, and of course, fine Monterey County wines ? for tasting and purchase. The Monterey location (open daily 11am-6pm) has a stunning view over the Bay; the Salinas center (open daily 11am-5pm) is opposite the National Steinbeck Center.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM

We ate at a sports bar in the Cannery Row area (I think) about 9 years ago. I know that's a long time ago, but does anyone know if it's still there. This sports bar was in an area that had 2 or 3 stories, enclosed shops, quaint, walking distance from the aquarium. If it's still there, the food was very good and very reasonable.
We stayed at the Green Gables Inn and a nice touch was that they had bicycles for the use of their guests. We rode all over Montery!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone that really helps. My son will just love the butterflies. He's 2yrs old. Look it's only August and I'm already giddy about this vacation Thanks again.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Your two year old will love the aquarium as well, especially the Splash Zone!