Search

30 days in NYC--stay in Brooklyn?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 days in NYC--stay in Brooklyn?

Hello all,

Since my previous posts and all your help, I continue to look for an apartment on the UWS for our trip Dec. 18 thru Jan. 15. Today, though, a friend of a friend offered me a one bedroom condo on the 18th floor of this Brooklyn hi-rise: http://www.orocondos.com/#/building/design/ . He will charge me way under market as a favor to his friend, so price is not my concern.

I'm really wondering what the gang here thinks about the feasibility of taking the train to Midtown and Lincoln Center for our many shows (ten or eleven over the thirty days). I assume that we wouldn't be heading back midday--once we're out, we're out until we retire at night. I'm afraid it might make for very long days.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM

hopstop.com or maps.google.com will give you directions and estimated travel time between this address and wherever you want to go. I think in order to best advise you we'd need to know what exactly you will be charged and how that compares to whatever other options you've found. To my knowledge you haven't actually posted about any other tangible options.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM

I would contact Executive Plaza and Worldwide Plaza, both condos on the theater district in Manhattan that may have monthly rentals available.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM

I didn't know people were living in the Oro already! It's a brand new building right on top of busy Flatbush Avenue in downtown Brooklyn. One advantage to its location is that it is very near the A/C/F station at Jay Street Borough Hall, as well as the R station at Lawrence Street. There's not much in the way of amenities nearby, though the DUMBO neighborhood is within walking distance, as is the Manhattan Bridge, who's footpath provides nice views of the Brooklyn Bridge/Lower Manhattan and places you in Chinatown at the other end...

As far as Brooklyn goes, the commute between that part of downtown and Times Square is about as good as it gets at 40 minutes - more than feasible in my book. But you're right that you would plan your days differently, likely without a "home" break in between.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 03:19 AM

If I were in NYC for work (as you describe it) I wouldn;t want to be 40 minutes away - esp since at night - after a concert it will take longer to get home - since the trains don't run as often then.

Also, if the building is brand new I would confirm that it is completely open and functioning (It seems kind of odd that someone would give up an apartment they have just moved into.)
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Definitely agree w/nytraveler. If you're interested, Curbed has some postings about Oro; I guess it finally reached 50% sold sometime this summer, but I know they had a lot of difficulty getting tenants at first...
http://ny.curbed.com/tags/oro

(IMO at least part of the problem is that it's billed as "Manhattan-style living" in downtown Brooklyn, a.k.a. its new acronym DoBro. But Brooklynites like Brooklyn for Brooklyn, and Manhattanites - current or aspiring - who want this kind of building would, umm, rather live in Manhattan! Certainly not in the "DoBro" area they've put it in...)
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:05 AM

My guess is your friend's friend is having a hard time renting this apt. and you're actually doing THEM a favor if you take it. Would you please post what you've been quoted for rent. What's your budget? Have you contacted any apt/hotels in Manhattan? If Lincoln Center is a big part of your trip, I'd contact milburnhotel.com and beaconhotel.com to see what they might offer.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:35 AM

Yes, I'm not usually one to ask what people pay for rent, but in this case it would be good to know what they're quoting you is "way under market", especially in a building that to my knowledge doesn't have other rentals on which you could base your comparisons.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM

badWaddy, Are you comfortable taking subways late in the evening? Do you what the NY subway is like? Are you street smart? Have you been to that part of town? Is the rent so cheap that it can make up for taxis rides and more?
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM

The subway is about a quarter of a mile away from the building. For your travel dates, it will feel like a long cold walk. I personally wouldn't walk to that bldg at night from the subway.

You'll have to cross a very busy street (Flatbush extension) and deal with traffic going onto and off of the Manhattan Bridge and the BQE.

The area is not well populated. Gas stations, car washes, Long Island University campus, Chase building across the street, some new construction apartments that are still partially filled.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM

Umm, while I agree that it's not great crossing busy Flatbush (as I mentioned before), the walk to the subway is only 3 blocks to the R and 4 blocks to the A/C/F - hardly a hardship in NYC. And while Flatbush Ave itself is more commercial than residential, north of it along Myrtle Avenue is certainly well populated and residential - just maybe not the type of residences tourists in the city want to encounter.