Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 week in Texas - Houston, Austin and San Antonio. Where do we start?

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are visiting Texas March 12 - 19th, flying into Houston and we plan on visiting Austin and San Antonio. Besides NASA and Riverwalk, what else is there to do in these 3 cities?
My husband was in basic training at Lackland AF base some 40 years ago and he'd like to revisit the place. Are there tours?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM

As far as Houston, be sure to fit in the Kemah Boardwalk, as well as the uptown Galleria area if you are into shopping. Galveston areas such as Moody Gardens and The Strand also make nice side trips.

In Austin, 6th Street is great for nightlife.

In San Antonio, don't forget the Alamo, as well as the market place.

I know there are tons more options of things to see in those cities, but these are just a few. More posters will weigh in to give great advice.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Austin will be a happening place during your visit:
http://2005.sxsw.com/
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Austin is *way* more fun (I live here now) than Houston (I lived there) and San Antonio (visit there often). In Austin, be sure to visit the Bob Bullock Texas history museum, the newly refurbished State Capitol, take a run or bike ride around town lake, see the bats of the Congress street bridge, eat the best TexMex in the world at Chuy's restaurant, listen to great live music on 6th street or the warehouse district, catch a Univeristy of Texas basketball or baseball game (if you're a Longhorn), play golf, sail on Lake Travis,... there is lot's to see and do in a very small-town atmosphere. San Antoio and Houston are large, sprawling and well traveled. Enjoy... P.S. Neue Braunsville and Greene Texas are also very fun places to visit... The Nimitz Museum in Fredricksberg is also an "off the beaten path" destination
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Be sure to stop in for some awesome BBQ at The Saltlick just south of Austin in Dripping Springs. The building looks like it's about to fall down and it's in the middle of nowhere, but the food is unbeatable. Definitely an authentic Texas experience.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Oops, sorry--the Salt Lick is in Driftwood not Dripping Springs!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Houston: Space Center (stay in Webster if that is the only site you are going to); San Jacinto Monument.

Austin: Capitol, Bullock Museum, Governors Mansion, LBJ Presidential Library, UT Tower.

SA: Riverwalk, Observation Tower, National Park Mission Trail, Yanaguana boat ride on the River, Alamo.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I would minimize my time in Houston. Have been there multiple times and it is not really a touristy place. Galleria is a huge shopping mall. The Space Center is cool, and it is a pretty city from the highway -- looks like OZ with all its glass skyscrapers. Austin and San Antonio are more geered to tourism, I think. Both are a lot of fun.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I didn't even think about it, but you will be in Houston for the annual Livestock Show and Rodeo, which is one of the biggest yearly events in the city. If you want more info on go to the following link.

http://www.houston-spacecityusa.com/

The museum and theatre districts also have a lot to offer.

http://www.houston-spacecityusa.com/...asp?pageid=261
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:19 AM
dcespedes

Hi carmar, re: San Antonio, in addition to the Riverwalk downtown you could visit the Alamo, La Villita, the Missions, King William district, HemisFair Park where you'll find the Tower of the Americas and Inistitue of Texas Cultures. There are wonderful art museums near downtown--the San Antonio Museum of Art, the McNay and Blue Star Art Space. On the north side of town Sea World and Fiesta Texas will be open. Re: tours of Lackland AFB try calling 210-671-3133--this is the ticket / tour office for Lackland. I hope you enjoy a great trip!

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:22 AM
dcespedes

Sorry, inistitue should read Institute.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I've lived in all three cities. Spring is a great time to visit. The weather is mild -- highs in the mid 70s, lows in the 60s, low humidity. If possible, get a convertible.

Rodeo Houston is a grand spectacle you should go to. It is the largest indoor rodeo in the world. A tribute to rural western life, ironic since Houston is neither. There is plenty to do other than watching rodeo cowboys compete. Entertainment during your time you are here includes Martina McBride, The Steve Miller Band and Brad Paisley.

Other things to do while in Houiston include the Museum of Printing History, the Museum of Medical Science and History and The Forbidden Gardens.

The drive from Houston to Austin should be very nice, as the bluebonnets will have just started to blossom. Make sure to pick up food at Eatzi's or Central Market and have a picnic on your drive. Also, consider a tour at the Blue Bell Creamery.

Austin highlights have been listed. Austin may be crowded that week because of South by Southwest, a large music industry conference. Be sure you have rooms in Austin already booked.

Places to visit while driving between Austin and San Antonio. The Outlet Mall in San Marcos. Not really a tourist site, but it is huge. Gruene Texas, cute little town. State of Texas has designated it as a "Historic Town." Has one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. In New Braunfels, tour the Dry Comal Creek Vineyards. There is winemaking in Texas. Not California, but serviceable.

Consider taking a driving tour of the Mission Trail in San Antonio.

Driving between San Antonio and Houston, tour the Shiner brewery in Shiner, Texas. One of the oldest breweries in the state.

If you want to go out of your way a little bit, visit Goliad. It is the site of one of the most infamous massacres during the Texas Revolution.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

How can I ever thank all of you for such great advise. Now I'm starting to get excited about seeing a part of the country that is new to us.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Hello carmar! Welcome to Austin!

Ever been to the rodeo? Well, pardner, put on your boots and mosey on over to the Star of Texas Rodeo, beginning the week you arrive! There's calf-roping, bull riding, etc. followed by a concert featuring the likes of the Charlie Daniels Band, Brad Paisley, and others during the time you're here. Tickets just went on sale last weekend, so if you're interested, I'm sure there's lots of good seats left -- check out staroftexas.org.

One poster mentioned the bats -- it might be too early. I think they usually come back in April. But if they're here, it's awesome watching the couple million fly each night.

So much more, but you've been given some good suggestions. Just don't forget -- in Austin, we eat bbq with our fingers -- no sauce, just smoke!!

Welcome...and Happy Travels!!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM
abp

The Salt Lick is BYOB!!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:25 AM

carmar, your question was perfect for me because we were driving from Houston (where my son is graduating college) to Austin (where he will be working) and we had the same questions. The info I got from the responses you got made our trip extra nice.
Crash Daddy, Chuy's restaurant was great! The food...the service...the drinks (I now know what a Texas Martini tastes like!). We toured the State Capitol which was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. And, the bats of the Congress Street bridge were unbelievable! There must have been over a million! What an experience!!
Julie304, The Saltlick was fantastic! You were right.....an authentic Texas experienc!
LDLee, the bluebonnets were incredible! Why don't we have them in Florida?
Thanks everyone! What a great website!