COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Texas!

Old Feb 18th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Texas!

I'm going to an event in Houston next year and as I've never been to Texas before (I'm from Ohio), I was hoping to visit Dallas, Austin and San Antonio while I was there. I've probably got a max of 7 days to do it all. My hope was to fly into one city and drive to the others before flying back from whichever city was my last destination. What order makes the most logistical sense and is this a trip I could actually get done in 7 days if I drive from place to place? I want time to enjoy each city, not just spend all my time in the car and have to rush through.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:15 AM

What month is the event? Do you go to the event in Houston first or last? Is this a solo trip? Budget?
Are you OK with a car drop off fee?
If the event is last, try flying to DFW and seeing Dallas then Austin then San Antonio ending in Houson.
If the event is first, just reverse flying into Houston and back from Dallas.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM

I would not recommend trying to visit those 4 cities in 7 days. I would skip the "outlier", Dallas, and focus on Houston, San Antonio and Austin. You will find more than enough to do in those 3 places for a week. (Heck, you could spend a whole week in just San Antonio, Austin and the Hill Country.) So fly into Houston and out of Austin (or vice versa).

If you will have already done your Houston sightseeing before your road trip, you could see San Antonio, Austin and Dallas in 7 days.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The event is in early May and I'm going with a friend. I was thinking we'd do Houston first and then head to SA and Austin but it doesn't have to be that way. I pretty much figured we'd have to ax Dallas, considering its in the opposite direction.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 07:06 AM

I also would skip Dallas and have more time in three cities and less windshield time.

In San Antonio get a hotel on or within a couple blocks of the Riverwalk. Shop early. SAT gets big conventions that can drive up prices.

There is river rafting and tubing on the rivers from New Braunfels east of San Antonio.

Port Aransas, a beach community between Houston and SAT is a popular fishing on the Gulf destination.

You will have Astros in Houston and AAA ball in Round Rock, just north of Austin.

When your dates are firm, do your research on music in Austin for your nights. Don't miss.

Houston has Johnson Space Center, SAT has the Alamo, Austin has the bat cave to name just a few touristy points of interest.

Texas cuisine could fill a magazine article. Do your restaurant research around BBQ, TexMex, Gulf seafood, and you can fill your week with great meals.

If you are into local beers, both Houston and Austin have good product and brew pubs.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM

>

This is true for the whole state. Texas's recent relaxation of outdated booze laws created a huge microbrew and microdistill economy - there are tons of Texas-made beers and plenty of Texan liquors.

If you're not going to Dallas, then loop back to Houston for your return flight. Texas has two major airports (DFW, IAH) and various minor ones even though Austin and San Antonio (and FW for that matter, but it's covered by DFW) are far larger cities than Detroit, Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami or Boston - each of which have larger airports.