Reload this Page >

Sunscreen and Insect Repellent in One?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:06 AM
iceeu2

Do they make this? Yesterday, as I was lathering up with the sunscreen in our 80 degree weather, I had to do bug spray on top of that (the bugs love me!)..surely some of you savvy ones know who makes this and where to purchase!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avon has a variation of Skin-so-soft that is called Bug Guard Plus -- an insect repellant and sunscreen (SPF 30 and SPF 15). I know SOS's insect-repelling abilities have been debated, but we've had pretty good luck with this product.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM

I might try that myself. I am so tired of putting all these chemicals on my skin to be able to go outside!
Yesterday, while gardening, a red ant bit me
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM
iceeu2

Thanks...I will check that out.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:08 AM
lvk

There's also a brand called "Repel" that we picked up last year at Target. We brought it on our trip to Costa Rica, and it worked well.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Try a sporting goods store like REI. There are several products on the market, made for hikers, etc. Can't remember the brand names offhand.

While there, check into the insect-repellent spray that you can spray on your clothes. It'll stay on a week through several washings. It's made especially for people who can't stand having "stuff" on their skin.

Get as much of this spray as you can before summer arrives! Last time my REI store ran out because so much of this spray is being shipping to our troops in Iraq.

Have fun in the sun without scratching!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM

There is a product called Cactus Juice that has both sunscreen and an insect repellent derived from prickly pear cactus. I have not tried it yet, but plan to this summer. I am one of those people who WILL get bitten if there is a mosquito within a mile. I hate to use DEET if I can avoid it. You can read about it at www.catcusjuicetm.com
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Oh, and Skin-so-soft does not work at all for me.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Is your skin soft though ?

I got the OFF spray that smells like Tropical Flowers...more like rotten Tropical fruit so I would advise against it
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM

This is going to sound crazy, but we use Amber Romance spray from Victoria's Secret for bugs. My bf's brother read about it in a hunting/fishing magazine so we tried it and it works. Of course, anything with deet is best and recommended, but sometimes I just can't take the smell!
We went fishing this weekend and it's still funny for the guys to smell so sweet, but much better than the alternatives!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM

LOL, neworleanslady, that is funny I can just picture some of these Macho Fodor boys trying something like Amber Romance LOL, do you think they would admit it to us?
Wonder if it repels men too or just bugs
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I have a horse with sweet itch (allergy to midge bites) and Avon's Skin So Soft works pretty well for him! So much so that I just bought some to take away with me to Arizona - I reckon if I use the SsS bath oil I'll get well marinated and then I can top up with the Avon Bronze sun lotion which has insect repellent. I'll smell like I've arrived from a house of ill repute but if it stops the little buggers biting me then who cares!

ps - the horse smells nice too!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Scarlett,
Think of the guy who wrote the article and had to sign his name to it! The article said he & his wife were fishing together & no bugs were biting her and they decided it was because of the VS spray so he tried it and it worked.
My BF's brother is not a small guy so it is pretty funny to see him - in his fishing attire - spraying sweet smelling perfume on his body! Trust me, if it didn't work - he'd have given it up LONG ago!!