1 day side trip from Santa Fe

Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

1 day side trip from Santa Fe

Need advice - We will be in Santa Fe for the weekend and would like to take one of the days to do a side trip. We can either go to Bandelier National Monument and then maybe on up to Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch area or take low river road up to Taos and to Taos Pueblo and then the High Road back down to Santa Fe stopping in Truchas and Chimayo. Need to know if the Taos trip is really worth the drive or not. We don't want to waste time if this is not worth it. I have read posts on both areas and a travel book but can't make up my mind which to do. Would really appreciate hearing from someone who maybe has done both and which one you enjoyed the best. Thanks!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM

We did only Bandelier but thought that very, very interesting.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM

Do you like Mexican food? Chimayo has a restaurant with delicious food. I've spent a great deal of time in that area as we have a vacation home in Red River - we drive back & forth from Albuquerque, spending time in Santa Fe & Taos on the way. I hesitate to recommend if anything is "worth the drive" or not. If you're interested in lunch in Taos, the Apple Tree is also yummy. Will you have children along? That would make a difference on your decision. Happy travels!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:20 PM

Either trip would be great. Bandelier requires a bit of walking to really appreciate. Taos scenery is gorgeous.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. No, we will not have kids with us. Just want to see some beautiful scenery and yes we LOVE Mexican food!! As far as the high road to Taos - is the whole route (the 70 miles or so) extremely winding and steep. Should we just take Highway 68 instead? Would love to go there one way and come back the other as long as the roads are not too curvy and steep all the way. Please advise on that also. It sounds like we should go to Taos instead of Bandelier and Abiquiu but would still love to hear from anyone who has done both. Thanks again - every little bit helps!!!!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
annieladd

The high road to Taos isn't so scary at all, just pretty mountain driving. Have lunch at Haciendo de Chimayo, and visit the sanctuario, where you can be healed of various maladies. Near Taos, we really enjoyed the Milicent Rogers Museum. Once you get to Taos, you can take the highway back down to SF fairly quickly.

Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:06 PM

I think, if I were you, I'd take the circular route to provide a variety. I've only done the high road/Chimayo once but I don't remember it being terribly windy or steep. Be sure to go in the church where the healing dirt and crutches are - I believe it's just across the street from the Mexican food restaurant. I enjoy the shops in Taos - art & an antique shop that has every kind of medical antiquity you can imagine. We went to the Taos Pueblo when our son was young - I wouldn't return or recommend going there. Hope this helps somewhat...if I remember correctly, there's a fun sheepskin store north of Taos where I've bought goodies. It's large on the right side of the road but I can't remember if it's before or after the turnoff you'll need to go west. It's worth a stop if you pass it.
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM

FYI folks. Its hard to find "Mexican food" in New Mexico. "New Mexican" cooking is more chile based and different than what you will find in Mexico and your local Chi Chi junk.
Frankly, I might suggest you do something else around SF. One day to drive to Taos stopping along the way to see the sites and visiting Taos with all the sites and things to do there is not enough time. You will defintiely feel rushed and probably miss what you really should see. THe high road itself takes a long time to wind through the hills and valleys. If you just want to say you been to Taos I would suggest you take the low, more direct route(which is very beautiful) both ways. It will save you alot of time which you will need to explore Taos.If I were staying a couple days in Taos then I would suggest you come back on the high road but for just a day trip you are biteing off way to much.
The drive out to Ghost Ranch(highly recommended) would be more of a day trip.
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Do the Taos route . It's nice.Paul
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I'm torn because I enjoy all of the choices you have listed. However, if you only have one day I'd do Bandelier. But make sure you understand that to really see it, you'll need to do some walking. And you'll need to climb up some steep ladders to get to the neatest places. Luckily, this time of year it won't be as packed as it is in the summertime.
The drive to Bandelier, though not as super as the drive to Taos, is very scenic.
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM
E

If you decide to go through Chimayo, there's a great weaving shop there called Ortega's--beautiful blankets, rugs, etc., and they also take custom orders. IMHO, a day out at Bandelier and Ghost Ranch is about scenery and hiking; the other day trip offers a more varied mix of scenery, architecture, culture, shopping and dining. It's a very tough choice--good luck!
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM

We love Taos, and also recommend lunch at the Apple Tree.

dorkforcemom- The sheepskin store is called Overland, and we've stopped there several times over the years.

In July when we stopped by, there was a nice home furnishings and accessories store next door called Mountain Comfort.

Byrd