Santa Fe daytrip: Taos or Bandelier?

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe daytrip: Taos or Bandelier?

We're doing a long weekend in Santa Fe in early October (flying into ABQ Friday afternoon, out Monday afternoon, all nights in Santa Fe). We figure on spending Sunday doing a day trip and have narrowed it down to Taos and Bandelier National Monument. Both seem great.

I've talked to people who said that Taos is not-to-be-missed. Another person said Taos over-rated and Bandelier is the not-to-be-missed spot.

Unfortunately, Puye Cliff Dwellings (which could be easily combined in a trip to Bandelier) are still closed. We figured to combine Bandelier with Los Alamos and/or one of the pueblos in the area, such as Santa Clara or San Ildefonso.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM
SAB

If I had to chose I would take Bandelier and a trip to a pueblo. Nothing against Taos but I would take the opportunity to see cliff dwellings.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Although the drive to Taos (on the high road) is stunning, I'm afraid that Taos itself is not that memorable. Everything in the town of Taos can be found in Santa Fe.

Bandelier in October will be great, what with crisp weather and much smaller crowds. If you have some extra time, drive over to Abiquiu. Spledid scenery out that way.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Sunnyboy

I agree with the others, the drive to Taos will give you great views but once you are there, all you get are shops - fine if you have the shopping gene a big bore if you don't. Go to Bandelier it's much more memorable.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM
mei

I have been Taos many times and love it, but I agree also with going to Bandelier and if you are a hiker, Bandelier is an all day trip.

Have fun Santa Fe and do not miss Ten Thousand Waves Spa...it is awesome. I also love the Shidoni Sculpture Garden, O'Keefe Museum, The Shed for food and The Rainbow Man for quality items to buy.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. You folks are unanimous!

BTW, I had already penciled in 10,000 Waves Spa for a massage and a hot-tub soak under the stars when we get back from our day-trip. Perfect if we're going to be hiking around Bandelier all day!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:23 PM

Glad you decided on Bandelier. Just wanted to post to ask you to please do a trip report when you get back. I haven't been to Bandelier in 30 years, and reading a great trip report about it may be just the thing to spark my husband's interest.