Search

May in NM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May in NM

Am fine tuning our upcoming Anniversary trip
1st night is Hyatt Tamaya for our May 8th celebration! Then nights 2-4 will be Homewood Suites N. Santa FE. Staying 7 mights total. Leaving last 2 nights unplanned to better determine our favoritess after getting our taste of areas. Will drive from Tamaya via Jemez Springs to Homewood and use it as our "home base" for most side trips. Will want to drive Turquoise Trail and do Sandis Tram at some point. Logistically where best to fit those in? How long is drive time from Hyatt to Homewood via Hwy 4?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Ideas anyone? Time grows short! LO
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Weekends is a slow time. Top this thread again Monday and you'll probably get some response.

It's not that far from the Tamaya to Santa Fe. The first time I went, I drove up one trail and down the other and even all around in just one day and was back in Albuquerque by nightfall.

Good idea to home base in Santa Fe and do a leisurely exploration of the surrounding areas. There's plenty to do and see in Santa Fe. I especially like wandering the downtown area.

I'd suggest you do the Sandia Tram one day while still in Albuquerque.

I love the desert! Have a great trip! I'm certain some of the NMers will respond with more detailed information.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Go to Teseque (I'll be there on May 7-8) and stop in at the little grocery right on the road, have a sandwich, go to the 'foundry' on the back road, and drive up to Los Alamos...where they perfected the automic bomb, drive up to Taos, taking the high road, go to the Pueblo, etc., etc. Lots to do.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Happy anniversary!

Like Easytraveler said, do the tram while you're in Albuquerque.

Drive the Turquoise Trail on your way back to Albuquerque from Santa Fe.

Lee Ann
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Los Alamos & the Bradbury are slated for Sat 5/12 as have the high school friend of DH's parents who was actually on the team and helped build the bomb as our private tour guide! We look forward to his first hand perspective! Friday 5/11 will drag DH through as many free museums as we can manage. Not many I'm guessing, as he's the type to read nearly everything.
Which museums are the not to be missed?
Thanks again to all who take their valuable time to assist others in maximizing thier own trips and posting here! Thurs is Taos day and I hate targeting daily schedules, but without it might miss the most important "to do's". Am trying to leave some time each day for impromtu lingering where warranted. God Bless and happy "tripping" to all! LO
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Museum Hill in Santa Fe has lots to choose from; I guess your personal preferences can guide you, but mine is International Folk Art.

http://www.museumhill.org/

The only free museum on the hill is Wheelwright. There are 2 museums ticket packages though.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Just found this -

"The Palace of the Governors and the Museum of Fine Art are open Friday evenings 5-8pm free of charge"

Other museums in Santa Fe:

http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/sfmud.html

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Great choice, Debi. Leora, you could do that along with the Canyon Road gallery walk as well. How fun!

Anxious to hear about your Hyatt Tamaya stay. We will be in Santa Fe 12-20th so I wonder if we'll cross paths!
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Post script...just got back from NM. IT was awesome, as usual. Air was clear, views were spectacular, grandkid was so cute, food and wine hit the spot, no traffic on highways, and everything was just as I remembered it, except the haunting feeling that I was born here in another life.