Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon: fiancee not as adventurous. Need ideas. HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi internet! I'm currently planning my honeymoon to Europe and am about to go blue in the face googling. I've been to Europe several times, but he has yet to leave the country. That being said, he's not the most adventurous of fellas out there. I love the process of travelling--the airports, the people watching, even the getting lost. I love it! He, on the other hand, gets frustrated waiting in line for a domestic flight. I'm trying to expand his horizons but also want to do it with regards to his feelings--anyone been in this predicament before? He has expressed interest in France so I was thinking Paris for 4 nights and then flying to Naples and frolicking along the Almafi Coast for some relaxation. I want to feed my need for adventure, but be conscious of his dislike for the process of traveling. In the past, every time I've introduced him to something new, he ends up loving it. Any suggestions from the crowd? First I thought we should go somewhere in the US but that's really not what I want at all. I'm basically trying to plan a tame European honeymoon. If it was up to be we'd be doing a mixture of cities, but I think keeping it at 2 cities is fair to both of us. First I thought Paris to the French Riviera. Then I thought Paris to San Sebastian. Then I thought Paris to Positano. Then I thought the Greek Islands. Eek! ANyone have ideas??
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM

I figure something brit will at least keep the language mostly familiar.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would just do Paris for the entire time (or maybe Paris/London or Paris/Amsterdam) That's pretty tame and easy for anyone to do without being intimidated.

Naples, French Piviera, Greek Islands, etc. all seem like they could be a bit much for your finance. You want to have a nice honeymoon that focuses on the two of you, not stressing out about moving around Europe.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keeping it to one cou try - one language - might be less stressful. Paris and Nice, maybe. But it depends on what time of year. I love Nice in April, wouldn't want to be there in August.

Also, you'll get more replies on the Europe board
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 05:48 PM

When are you going? How long will the total trip be?
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM

Oh, what kinds of activities does he enjoy - hiking, golf, swimming, museums, cities, countryside, great food, cooking, etc?
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM

Since you say he doesn't like the process of travel - waiting in line even for a domestic flight, etc. - I would definitely go for the SLOW method of travel. Pick 1 country (2 neighboring ones at the most) so that you don't have to travel around a lot. Since he has expressed an interest in France, go there. Spend a week in Paris. Then head out to the countryside - see some small towns, the Mediterranean, whatever, but keep it slow paced. And when you do move cities, take the train. Don't fly. You may totally win him over this way once he sees that travel can be relaxing and fun - it doesn't have to be a hectic go-go-go, wait-wait-wait type of experience.

Remember, this is your honeymoon - the beginning of your marriage. If all goes according to plan and you can get him to catch the travel bug, you will have DECADES of travel ahead of you as a married couple. You don't have to see everything this time around. There will be plenty of other opportunities.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with nov_moon, to make it nice for him too... keep it simple.

If you want to go to the Greek Islands, just go there only (don't tack it on to a bunch of other cities of Europe). If you want to go to the Amalfi coast, just go there. You get the idea.

What stresses most people out about "travel" is the moving around part, especially if you're rushing place to place. Stress not so much from just being in a new place and hanging around doing things at a leisurely pace.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 08:30 AM

What about Iceland? It's a short flight, everybody speaks English, it's super easy to get around, tons of tours if you want that, great scenery, fun, walkable city... Can you tell I like Iceland? Icelandair.com has tons of cheap package tours!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Sorry but I read you want him to travel 'your way'. Why don't you travel 'his way'?
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP hasn't returned -- maybe she broke up w/ he BF because he's a stick in the mud

But I agree w/ you MisGreen . . .
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in a response! I was on a long stretch of working nights (I'm a nurse) which means I essentially fall off the face of the earth. Thank you all for you input. Sassafras, he loves the water (boats--but he specifially said no cruises), as well as cooking and trying new foods--which is what kind of led me interested in San Sebastian. I do agree with above posters that 2 cities are the max we should do. As for time, we plan on about 11-14 nights and will be going in September 2014. I also do love Nice, but it seemed a little crowded when I want and besides Paris, think we should try something sleepier. Hobbert, Iceland never even crossed my mind so I will have to look into that. And yes november_moon, you're right that we will have our whole lives to travel. Thanks guys!
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM

I understand liking boats but not cruises I toss around the idea of going on a cruise every once in awhile, but then we never end up doing it - just doesn't seem like "us". Someday we may try it, who knows? But, a day of sailing, canoeing, whale watching, island hopping by motor boat - bring it on.

So, with the interest in boats and France, you could maybe do something like - Paris, French countryside, and Marseille or a smaller town on the Mediterranean. I don't think this is too much for a 2 week trip.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Yea that's what I'm leaning towards november moon! Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 09:10 PM

I've been to both San Sebastian and the Amalfi coast, and I think either would be wonderful honeymoon destinations. I actually spent a few days in San Sebastian and Bilbao for my honeymoon in May. It rains a lot there, which didn't bother us, because the food was so absolutely amazing! I think logistically, traveling to San Sebastian may be less stressful. You can fly into the one runway airport, and walk around most of the town. Flying into Naples and taking the train to the Amalfi is a bit more involved. You'd also need to take trains/busses from town to town, and the busses can get quite crowded during peak season. Of course the scenery is spectacular and weather may be better there in Italy.