Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Santiago or Buenos Aires for 19 year old US female semester in SA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter is going to spend July-Dec 2010 in some South American country for study abroad semester - college arranges host-family stay and she will enroll in regular university classes - total immersion in language and culture (she is almost fluent in Spanish at this point). We are from Boston.

She has narrowed it down to Chile or Argentina and most opinion has been towards Buenos Aires. She has heard various opinions about language and accents - college teaches Spanish as spoken in Spain and she has heard that accent in SA countries will make it difficult for her. As the Mom I am concerned about safety, health care, whether she will fall in love with the country or some young man and never leave. But we both want it to be a fun and educational experience.

Comments, suggestions?
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Based on the two cities alone, Buenos Aires by a wide margin. Buenos Aires is a great place to live, study and play.

However, where she lives and studies in these locations will make a huge difference. All neighborhoods and universities are not the same.

The Spanish spoken in Buenos Aires is Italian accented and uses distinctive verb forms...but Spanish is Spanish and understanding and being understood should not be a problem.

Sorry, mom, neither the college nor you can control a young girl's heart.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM

DrDawggy's answer is perfect, as he often brings college students to BA, which makes him excepcionally qualified to reply.

A young girl's heart is a "many splendored thing" and "what will be, will be", or "que será, será", as the songs tell you, Mom Gail.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:42 AM

www.saexplorers.org

good info for you

BsAs is the more interesting city
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM

so send her to Santiago

she will probably less likely to stay.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM

The world-famous drdawggy, the undisputed TOP Internet expert on Argentina, has e-mailed me pointing out my spelling mistake when I said above he was "excepCionally qualified to reply" to Mom Gail's question.

I humbly apologize. My lame excuse: I was in a hurry.

In case someone wonders what is going on, we are just kidding. LOL!!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I enjoyed my time studying abroad in Chile about 2 years ago. Both Santiago and Buenos Aires are big cities, so I would suggest having your daughter speak to other students who went there through the university to make sure their living location and classes will suffice. She's get spanish in either city.

I spent 2 months in Santiago and 4 days in BA. I needed more time to truly experience BA, and I think I could have seen the main parts in Santiago in about 4 days, so based on that, I'd go with BsAs.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Gail, my 20 year old daughter is currently in Buenos Aires for an immersion program, semester abroad at Universidad Belgrano. She is having a great experience. We will be visiting her in November. I studied in Madrid 30 + years ago for 2 years abroad and loved it! She checked out a lot of programs in several countries and chose BA. Good luck with your decision.