December Peru itinerary help

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December Peru itinerary help

We(2 adults in mid 20's) are traveling to Peru this Dec.
It is both our first time in South America.
We will be in Lima Dec 25 to spend 3 nights in Miraflores.
Plan to book tickets to Cusco on Dec 28th until Jan 3. We have not booked the LIM-CUS flights yet.
Can someone please suggest a good itinerary from what we have so far.
My gf has lung problems that is why we are choosing to stay in Ollantaytambo first.
Here is what we have so far.

Dec 25-Lima
Dec 26-city tour of Lima
Dec 27-shopping/sightseeing in Lima
Dec 28-morning flight to Cusco, taxi to Ollantaytambo to acclimatize to elevation, sightseeing around Ollantaytambo, night in Ollantaytambo
Dec 29-sightseeing around Ollantaytambo, train to Aguas Calientes at 3pm. night in AC
Dec 30-Machu Picchu, spend night in AC
Dec 31-morning train back to Ollantaytambo, taxi to Cusco, visit sites along the way.
Jan 1-Cusco city tour, night in Cusco
Jan 2-Cusco, horseback riding
Jan 3-morning flight to Lima

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM

It looks good the only thing I would caution is that if you are also flying internationally I fly Cusco Lima on the day prior to your international flight. There is a chance that ALL of the flights on a day can be cancelled because of weather either in Lima or Cusco.

So either do two days in Lima at the start and one at the end, or just come back on January 2.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM

nice itinerary you can stay in Mirafloes , hostals or hotels try. Eiffel, La Castellana, La Hacienda Best Western, Antigua miraflores, Sonesta Posada del Inca, most of the hotels offer fpick up service form Lima Airport
for fly. www.lanperu.com, www.starperu.com, www.taca.com
Taxi Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo try. [email protected]
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 11:58 PM

You may want to consider re-thinking your horseriding in Cusco. I magine that this will involve a longish drive out of town which would eat into your time there (and there is a lot to see). There are a couple of good horseriding places right on the main square and they run rides out along the valley in both directions so you could perhaps incorporate the riding into the sightseeing (much better views from horseback!).
Re your gf's lung problem. You may want to check that the hotels you ae staying at in Olly and Cusco have oxygen on site. Altitude sickness can happen to anyone. I have no med problems and am reasonably fit but I was badly affected on our first few days in Cusco and the oxygen really helped. An existing condition COULD make matters worse. Styaing in Olly first will definitely help aclimatisation.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We may change our itinerary altogether, staying in Cusco/MP first for 5 days then Lima for 4 days over the New Year period.
The problem we are having is finding a flight from Lima to Cusco the same day we arrive on Dec 25 at 4pm. Should we stay in Lima overnight and fly out to Cusco the next day(airfare is $100 more per/person) or just stay in Lima for 4 days once we are there then fly to Cusco and stay there for New Years. Help!
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM

There are no afternoon flights Lima-Cusco. I would just spend one night in Lima and then go the next morning to Cusco. Don't expect to get too much done, you could go out to dinner and perhaps the evening fountain spectacle and a nighttime ride around the center.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Still not sure which itinerary to pick, what city would be cooler to spend New Year's Eve in? I imagine Cusco is more intimate than spending it a big city like Lima, but then again Lima may offer more options.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I would opt for Cusco. Personally, I found Lima to be my least favourite city in South America and not somewhere I would contemplate spending NYE. Cusco, on the other hand is very much a party type town and there is usually something going on somewhere. I imagine NYE will be really something special especially in and around the Plaza.