Search

Santiago or Buenos Aries??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santiago or Buenos Aries??

We are booked on a wine related tour that starts in Santiago on March 1 and makes it way over to Mendoza. The tour does not include a trip to BA and the time actually in Santiago is limited to a day. We have booked our flights to actually arrive in Santiago (due to routing we must fly to Santiago, cannot fly directly to BA) on Feb 25th so we have about 3 extra full days before the tour starts. We were thinking of connecting to BA and spending the extra days there rather than Santiago. Is this a good idea or would we best served to spend the extra days in Santiago or nearby to it? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have never been to Santiago, but BA is a wonderful city. There is a lot to see, some nice musuems, great architecture, beautiful parks, interesting shopping and fabulous food. The people are really welcoming and warm. You can't go wrong visiting BA.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

i feel there is much more to do in Buenos Aires than Santiago. Not that Santiago is not a nice place to live, but Buenos Aires is a huge city with an active cultural life , in a way more like an European city, I would definitely choose Buenos Aires.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Been to both places.

Spend some extra time in Buenos Aires if you have the chance.

You can do the Old Town of Santiago in one full day, this will give you a flavour of the City.

Better still get a private tour guide and this way you will see more in your limited time in Santiago
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM

I dont know if money is an issue but you will have to pay an entry fee of $134. to visit Argentina come the new year. I have never been to Chile but I have been 5 times to Argentina and love it, love it, love it. I am curious about Santiago and would like to go there but I always seem to head back to BA. Mostly what you read from posters who have been to both cities report that BA is the prefered destination. I'll get to Santiago one day.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Ba is a far superior city to SCL, no question about it.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:43 AM

I am not clear on whether you would have to return from BA to start the tour from Santiago or whether you would join the tour in Mendoza from BA if you went there. If you would need to return, I would price the flights and see what the added cost would be.
Also monitor the reciprocity fee which may or may not come into place in Argentina from January 1st. Citizens of certain countries must pay a reciprocity fee when entering Chile at the international airport (only) in Santiago. For US citizens it is US$131 good for the life of the passport. If Argentina brings in a similar fee and only charges it entering via the international airport at BA, you would need to add that to the cost. At the moment it is unclear whether they will go ahead with the charge and at what points of entry they will charge it.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Let us hope they do not impose this new visa tax . The moment could not be worse but who knows this Argentine Government does not seem to get anything
right.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments. The tour we are on does start and end in Santiago so if we go to BA we would still have to fly back to Santiago in time for the tour. Based on all of your comments, it looks like we will go to BA. Thanks again!!