Search

Puerto Varas Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Varas Hotel

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good hotel in Puerto Varas for $300 or less. We will be staying there for 2 nights following the lake crossing from Bariloche. We would like to stay in town so that we do not need a car/taxi to get around. I looked at Trip Advisor but there are several recommended with high ratings so I was hoping I could get some help from the Fodorites. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:44 AM

Hi, we were there a few years ago so I am sure there must be many new good options. We stayed in hotel by the lake, which except for the view was nothing remarkable.

May I give you a few tips, the bus from the Cruce de lAgos leaveas you at the hotel door which is good, 2) beware of taxis , sometimes they wish to overcharge ,3) to go to Puerto Mont there are wonderful public vans that take you there really fast for one dollar ticket.( may be a bit more now)
Good luck
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Is it best to have the hotel secure us a taxi to get to Puerto Montt? We are traveling with our daughter and her car seat so the vans probably won't work for us.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved Puerto Varas but did not like our hotel , Cabanas del Lago. Although on the lakefront, it was dated, dingy and over run with tour bus groups, terrible breakfast. There were several other nice looking hotels in town as well as several more under construction( March 2009.)I would look at Tripadvisor hotels reviews for Puerto Varas to finnd one.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM

Hotel Cumbres Patagónicas, open about a year and a half, is top price for PV but very good. Solace is also very good. I believe it has an ownership link to Cumbres.
If you have transport, the Yankee Way Lodge has lovely grounds on the lake and good food. But out of the way if you don't have your own car and a bit of time to enjoy it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM

I think our hotel was also Cabanas del lago, same feeling as HappyTrvir. If you are taveling with your small daughter the vans are not for you . sorry. Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Cumbres and Solace were the 2 I was leaning towards based on Trip Advisor reviews so I will see if they have availability. Do any of you have restaurant recs for Puerto Varas?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM

This is in regards to an earlier question about skorpios cruise. We just returned from a Skorpios II cruise and highly recommend it. We were treated royally, food was very good and interesting. The San Raphael glacier is amazing. Be sure to pack warm clothes as we were there in Feb. and it was cold. They are experiencing an cool summer.