ONLY! 1 1/2 Days in Buenos Aires.

Oct 4th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

ONLY! 1 1/2 Days in Buenos Aires.

4 friends returning to USA from Buenos Aires next April. Flying from Iguazu Falls to BA and arriving early afternoon. Flights back to US next night starting at 8pm. That gives us 1 1/2 days - 1 night - to get a taste of BA. Plan on eating at Don Julio Parrilla and staying Miravida Soho. Likes -- history, nature, wines, architecture. Have never visited Argentina before and probably won't again.

Plan on using a guide or tours to maximize the short visit. Have emailed Buenos Aires Tours (Liz). Presume at least 1/2 day tour of city highlights -- QUESTION what are the best options for the full day (before heading to airport that night). Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts!
Oct 4th, 2016, 07:39 AM

Don Julio is an excellent choice. We ate there a couple of weeks ago and it by far the best parrilla we have tried in BA (and there have been more than a few!). Make sure you book a table or expect to wait a long time for a table.

A friend of ours runs a tapas/ wine bar in Palermo called Trova which is also excellent for sampling a few Argentine wines.

Day time look at Recoleta cemetery, Centro and La Boca (although the latter is very touristy, it does have some fun architecture!)

Can't help with guides.
Oct 4th, 2016, 08:38 AM

I most respectfully beg to disagree with foodie and top poster Crellston:

This is what my "alter ego" said about Don Julio, in the final part of a review, over two years ago:

"So, the way I see it, Don Julio is a touristy, crowded, noisy and overpriced restaurant, which serves just average steaks. I agree with critical reviewers about the service, which is the main reason why I'm rating it as 'Poor' .

Don Julio has a problem:

For some reason or other, tourists LOVE it and are willing to wait outside for HOURS to get a table. So, they have more customers than they can handle and that makes them feel they can get away with ANYTHING.

Do yourself a favor: avoid this restaurant and try to find a place which locals (like yours truly) go to."

Have a great time in my town.
Oct 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Well, I'm sort of in between the other two posters regarding Don Julio. I thought the food and service were good (I may have lucked out with a really friendly waiter and I didn't have to wait for a table at all) and I would go back, but I've been to better parrillas in BA. I really liked the food in El Pobre Luis (I think that's the name) in Belgrano and have had very good food in countless little neighborhood places.

I second the recommendation for Trova (what a small world!) I go there fairly often and really like the atmosphere and wines on offer. Prices are quite reasonable too.

I would check out the Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada, Cathedral and Cabillo, which are all in the same place in the Microcentro. That super wide avenue is fun to cross, too, and you can get the classic tourist photo of the Obelisk. I would also recommend a few hours in Palermo, perhaps going to the MALBA if you're into modern art and for a walk around the lovely parks there.
Oct 4th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for opinions and suggestions. Will start looking at more dining options.

QUESTION
Tigre Delta Navigaton River -- is that a worthwhile trip? Would take better part of our free day.
Oct 4th, 2016, 02:35 PM

I was going to recommend Tigre, but thought better of it because of your limited time in BA. I personally really liked the boat trip and relaxing by the river, and it doesn't take that long to get there by train (I wouldn't bother with the Tren de la Costa - I found it very overrated and dull - I'd just take the normal train) but then I'm a much more outdoors person than a city person and I don't really enjoy walking around churches and museums. That said, just half a day in BA really doesn't give you time to get a feel for the place at all. Whenever I've spent that little time in a city, I've left with virtually no memories of it at all and might as well have not bothered. So it really depends on what your main objective is. Sorry if that's not helpful! If you do go to Tigre, don't forget your insect repellent. I got eaten alive last time I went.
Oct 4th, 2016, 07:23 PM

MALBA..even if you like contemporary art..overrated... But then there isn't much else on offer.
Oct 4th, 2016, 11:25 PM

The exhibitions on the top floor of the MALBA are sometimes brilliant. I still remember every detail of the one I saw 18 months ago. That said, I found the current Yoko Ono one quite disappointing. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but if I were going to the nearby park, I'd pop in for an hour or so.
Oct 5th, 2016, 06:08 AM

The Reserva Ecologiva Costanera Sur is good for walking and birdwatchinhg.
Oct 5th, 2016, 06:29 AM

My DH and I like Tigre trips very much...B U T I think you would be making a mistake to spend your very limited time getting to and fro and missing out on the sites and feel of BsAs itself.

We have had both excellent and just fair meals at Don Julio - not sure what made the difference (feed lot ?) and, FWIW, I agree with Clementine as to the MALBA.
Oct 6th, 2016, 09:18 AM

Is it possible to extend your time in Buenos Aires? It seems a shame to travel so far and barely visit this beautiful city.
Oct 6th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr -- I am on your side on this, however, BA stop was mostly to catch flights back to USA. We are starting this trip in Santiago -- then Puerto Varas -- Bariloche -- Iguazu Falls -- BA to catch planes home. Traveling is my love and Cavalier breeding is hers. I stretched this trip as long as my marriage would allow -- and we have been married 33 years.