Search

Buenos Aires Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires Advice

Hi, Have a 7 day trip to Buenos Aires, leaving on Nov. 10th, and would love some advice:
1) We're staying at the Loisuites Recoleta-- hoping that's a good choice?
2) Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants and bars that are not to be missed?
3) Are there any absolute must-sees/must-dos that I may not necessarily know about from reading BA travel books?
4) Should we take a day trip, maybe to Tigre or Colonia?
5) Should we be at all worried about crime (ranging from petty to kidnappings)? By the way, we're a blond couple from New York City.
Thanks in advance for the help! We're really looking forward to our trip, and would greatly appreciate any advice!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM

We will be there from 11/9 to 11/16--our third trip in three years. You will have a wonderful time. Just take the same precautions you do in any large city. Be sure to go to the Tango show. Go to the one offered at El viejo almacen--well worth the money and authentic; price is now about $50. US for dinner and show. Unless you like a slick show that caters specifically to tourists, avoid the Carlos Gardel Tango show

Go to the Barranca Antique Market on Sat or Sun via the coastal train that you get at the Retiro station. Also, on Sat. you can go to the Tigre (station is Delta) via the same train.

Be sure to get to the Colon Opera House and take the $5.00 tour.

There are many wonderful restaurants and great prices. Read the menus. Have your hotel call a radio taxi for you. Most times, it costs $1. US to get to your destination at night. Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 01:53 AM

1)LoiSuites Recoleta. Location cannot be beat, just around the corner from the heart of Recoleta's tourist area--Cines, restaurants, bars galore. It is the only new hotel in this area, a 4 star rating...tastefully decorated. Rooms a bit small, but not by NYC standards.

2) Restaurants/Bars. The three most popular kinds of cuisine in Buenos Aires are: Argentine (read:beef, beef and more beef), Italian, and Spanish. There are also some excellent seafood and Sushi restaurants. If you are looking for good Mexican food, you are out of luck.

Outside of Recoleta, there are several zones that have high concentrations of night life/restaurants--Las Canitas, Palermo Viejo/Hollywood, Puerto Madero and San Telmo. I would suggest you try to visit each area for at least one drink or meal to get an overview of the variety of Porteno life......

A few of my favorites:

Gran Bar Danzon. on Libertad between Arenales and Santa Fe. Trendy wine bar in Barrio Norte/Recoleta. Sushi is good here.

1880 Parrilla. Defensa 1665, San Telmo. Excellent grilled steaks and a very good flan with dulce de leche (you have to try something with dulce de leche at least once).

La Bisteca or Porteno Gourmet. A great way to be introduced to Argentine food. Upscale all-you-can-eat.....in Puerto Madero near the Cines of Puerto Madero.
Aample the Cheeses, olives, cured hams and other interesting appetizers....huge dessert bar in Porteno Gourmet or off the menu at Bisteca....For your main course, you can have your pasta or beef cooked to order or choose from a steam table.

Crime...take the usual precautions. I have been mugged in NYC but never in BA....

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice! Tojoany, could you please provide the location of the Barranca Antique Market? I unfortunately haven't been able to find any info on it in my BA books. Also drdawggy, what do think about a day trip to Tigre or Colonia? Thanks again for the help!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Apart from the typical visit to Colonia, Uruguay there is another way to spend the day now that the temperature is nice. See the different options, bed and breakfasts which are inexpensive in Tigre. Some of them are beautiful houses run by their owners with swimming pools They are not expensive and it is another way to enjoy Buenos Aires but far from the noise and the smog. Prices are affordable, transport: take the train of the coast and get off in Tigre.(peanuts) pleasant journey. take a boat even more pleasant, and relax near the river till the following morning.
enjoy it.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:04 PM

we were almost mugged (teenage boys physically acosted my husband and me, attempting to get his watch and my camera) in BA last year (2 blondes) but were idiots because we were standing on a main street as a very VERY very large celebratory crowd was passing by us after the Boca Juniors beat AC Milan. I had a bad feeling (woman's intuition) but my husband thought we would be OK. LEsson: LISTEN TO YOUR GUT!!!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice! We just got back this morning and had the most amazing time. The Argentinian people were so incredibly nice, and the Loisuites Recoleta could not have been better! The rooms were amazing and everyone on staff was so friendly and helpful. We ended up doing both Tigre and Colonia. Both were interesting, but we really loved Colonia. We also had some really great dinners at Cabanas Las Lilas, Olsen, Tomo Uno and Lomo. As for bars, we really loved Milion, Mundo Bizarro and Gran Bar Danzon. In terms of sights, the highlights were the Recoleta Cemetery (got some great artisanal dulche de leche at the street market outside the cemetery), La Boca, tour of the Colon opera house, and the trip to Colonia. We also really enjoyed the zoo, MALBA, riding the A line on the subway and shopping in Palermo Viejo/Hollywood. Buenos Aires was great, and we certainly hope to return at some point in the future!