Favorite Restaurants of Buenos Aires

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Restaurants of Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires enjoys a plethora of restaurants, from simple cafes to haute cuisine. The Fodors guide covers many of the more established eateries...but there are so many more that I thought it might be good to start a thread dedicated to restaurant "finds" in BA........Here are a few of my personal choices:

ValleRio. A small cafe on the corner of Lavalle & Esmeralda. You will pass by tables heaping with fresh baked pasteries on your way to a table in this busy downtown eatery. A good place to rest your feet & enjoy a break from shopping or to visit before/after visiting one the nearby movie complexes on Lavalle, a pedestrian mall.

Liquados, milk based fruit drinks, are excellent here...many flavors are available. My favorite is the Tuti Fruiti, a mix of several fruits....also available with a water base. If you are hungrier, a small steak with a side dish and half-bottle of excellent house wine can be had for 20 pesos (about 7.50USD).
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Hello DrDawggy,
This is just the kind of info that comes in handy when visiting a place for the first time. I hope other posters will chime in with their faves

Debbie
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:44 PM

Great suggestion, drdawggy! And if you go to Belgrano district (subway: line D, get off at Congreso de Tucuman station) don't miss LA FAROLA DE CABILDO. This is a restaurant/cafe where you can try the largest milanesa (breaded veal cutlet) you'll ever have. All the servings are huge. It's on Cabildo Avenue, just one block from the subway station. And they also have delicious medialunas (croissants) for breakfast!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Debbie, thanks for the reminder that many readers here are first time visitors to BA....With you and other first timers in mind, may I offer an overview of Buenos Aires in various districts:

Puerto Madero. Fodors and other guide books do a good job of describing Puerto Madero: old warehouses along the river that have been converted to a row of restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc. Lots of great restaurants here, including the venerable steak house, Cabana las Lilas.

Recoleta. Again, most guidebooks do a good job of describing this area....a plethora of outdoor cafes and elegent restaurants in the area around the Recoleta cemetary.

But Buenos Aires has many other areas with great restaurants:

La Recova (Posadas and Cerrito). In this district you will find parillas, tapas, and a seafood restaurant. El Mirasol and Piegari are two fine choices for upscale dining.

San Critobal (Venezuela and San Jose). Good Italian and Spanish restaurants are found here. Prosciutto and Campo dei Fiori are good choices.

Las Canitas, near the Polo Field in Palermo, sports Thai,and German restaurants along with lots of parillas and pasta houses.

Palermo Viejo near La Placita has many trendy ethnic restaurants, including Mexican, VietNamese, and, of course, Argentine....

enjoy....

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi again, DrDawggy,
I'm soaking up every bit of info I can about the places I'll visit--which to to a travel addict like myself is half the fun of going away ;-)

Thanks for posting--when I get back, I plan to add my recs too!

Debbie
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Is it safe to drink the water in Buenos Aires?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the water is considered safe...although I usually drink bottled water anyway....using the better-safe-than-sorry theory....why travel half-way round the world to risk spending much of your time in the toilet (pardon my directness)
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM

As an American now living in BA, I can tell you the cuisine is fabulous. Some of my favorites include: Cabanas Las Lilas-one of the premier parilla/steakhouses in BA, Gran Bar Danzon for Sushi, Primmi Piatti for Italian, Broccolino's for Italian, Romario's for Pizza, Lotus Thai-self explanatory, Maria Fulo's for Brazilian, And a great Mexican place on the corner of Thames and Honduras.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Where is the Hard Rock Cafe in BA?? I collect the pins.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:23 PM

I think that the great mexican place you are talking about is CIELITO LINDO, on the corner of Thames and El Salvador. Another good place for mexican food is XALAPA (El Salvador and Gurruchaga).
For ThinGorjus, Hard Rock Cafe is in Recoleta area. The address is Pueyrredon 2501. Next to the cemetery you will find a pink building (this the Recoleta cultural center) and next to it, you will see a yellow building (this is Buenos Aires Design). Walk along its terrace and at the end of it you will find Hard Rock Cafe.
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

CH Fenton....could you post the addresses of the restaurants you mention? Some are new to me, and I would love to try them....gracias
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Cintia, I went to the Hard Rock Cafe website 2 days ago to find the address and they listed the HRC in Buenos Aires as CLOSED. Too bad, I have about 27 pins from all over the world.
Old May 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Hey Dr dawg, I'd be glad to give you directions forgive me for being too lazy to look them up but this should do.

Cabanas Las Lilas- Puerto madero on the water- about the third warehouse down.

Danzon Libertad about a half block down from Santa Fe.

Primi Piatti- the corner of French and Bustamante

Broccolino's- Corner of Esmerelda and Cordoba.

Romario's - there are several our's is corner of Cabello and Ugarteche

Lotus Thai-Las Cantitas (can't remember the street)

Maria Fulo- On Honduras in Palermo Viejo. Hope this helps-Enjoy

BTW unless it happened really recently the Hard Rock was open as of two weeks ago.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM

I hope chfenton doesn't mind my helping a little bit:

- Gran Bar Danzon: Libertad 1161.
- Romario: in Barrio Norte (Juncal 2862), in Recoleta (Montevideo 1655 and Vicente Lopez 2102)www.romario.com.ar
- Lotus Neo Tai: Ortega y Gasset 1782.
There is a Lotus Downtown on Tres Sargentos 427.
- Maria Fulo: Honduras 4795.

!Buen provecho!