Buenos Aires

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Debbie

Buenos Aires

My husband and I will be spending 2 full days and one night in BA on the way to Antartica. We need suggestions as to how to best use our limited time in BA. Is a ferry ride to Colonia, Jruguay advisable?

Also, would you suggest a personal guide? If so, any recommendations.

Thanks,
Debbie

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Andy

Debbie:

If you have two days in Buenos Aires, I would see the following:

-Plaza de Mayo (Casa Rosada)
-The Tortoni café/bar is nearby on Avda. de Mayo
-La Recoleta (nice on the weekend because there are art/craft fairs)
-San Telmo (nice on Sundays because of the antiques fair - this is also where you can see tango shows - La Ventanta is a good place)
-Plaza San Martín
-Palermo chico (there are beautiful homes/emabassies here - near the intersection of Ortiz de Ocampo and Figueroa Alcorta)
-Puerto Madero offers nice dining alternatives
-I would skip La Boca. It's out of the way and the famous painted street isn't that impressive.

If you only have 2 days, I would stay in BA. Colonia is nice for a day, but only if you've already spent 4+ days in BA.

I wouldn't suggest a guide. If you have a good guide book you can see the city just fine by walking. The subway is completely safe and quite convenient.

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Debbie, I agree with Andy. Buenos Aires is a big city and you need at least four days to see it.
Pitty you cannot stay longer, if so a one day trip to Colonia is a good option.THis is a tiny place with some quaint little Colonial streets, great wool hand work items are offeren by local artisans.
Yhere are many fine Hotels in Buenos Aires, I loved the Four seasons, they offer a great package with the Four seasons in Carmelo , URuguay. same owner I believe.
Service in these hotels is outstanding and both are charming in their own personal styles.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Debbie, you do not need a personal guide. If you?re staying for only two days, these are the must sees:
- City tour. It will take you only 2 hours, and will give you a good idea of BA.
- San Telmo on Sunday, with the market on Defensa and the antiques shops. Here you see the tango danced in the streets. If you won?t be here on a Sunday, go only if you?re interested in antiques at very low prices.
- The cemetery in Recoleta, with Eva Peron's grave. Best on Saturdays, but all the area is great on any day. Walk, walk and walk. Have lunch on any of the great caffes on Ortiz street just across the cemetery. Victoria is a good choice.
- Walk Alvear Avenue, and enjoy the French buildings among the Armani kind shops.
- Skip the day trip to Colonia in Uruguay and skip La Boca.
- take time to do some shopping. I would suggest malls other than Patio Bullrich, but since you will be in Recoleta and you will not want to spend your little time on taxis, go shopping there.

Have dinner in Piegari in Recoleta (ask your hotel to make reservations for you), or Cabaña Las Lilas in Puerto Madero. Restaurants are one of the highlights in BA, I would give you a long list but you have only one night.

Tell us about your trip to Antrctica when you return.

Enjoy your trip, and welcome to Argentina.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:45 PM

I don´t want to disagree with Martha, but I´m afraid a two hour city tour won´t be much. It all depends on whether you are just interested in the main spots or you´d rather get to know BA a bit more. I took a private guide for my trip and I´m happy I did it because she showed me the Buenos Aires that tourists hardly ever see and it made my trip really memorable. Whether a ride to Coloni is feasible I don´t know, but I suggest you ask Cinthia. I hired her for my trip and I strongly recommend her (i´m not the only one though!)