Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help! Last minute trip to Buenos Aires in 10 days..........

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (husband,myself and two kids-21 and 24) are trying to get a very last minute trip together to Buenos Aires for the first week of January. We do not speak any Spanish(real glad that we all took French in high school?)but want to spend about 6 days/5 nights down there.Is it doable to go down there without trying to do Patagonia,falls,etc.?We enjoy history,shopping and interesting dining.We are using our miles for one last quickie trip as a family. I understand that we won't be doing any justice to that area but it is one of the places that everyone always has wanted to visit. So-if you had just a few days down there what would be your must sees? Would one of those tango shows be fun even for the 24 year old son? Thanks for any help on this!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM

Trying to see Patagonia in that time will be pretty difficult.
We were there for 2 weeks and never left the city.
For a nice/charming day out of the city, take a ferry to Colonia, Uruguay .. World Heritage site, beautiful, charming..
As long as you are within the City Center, there will be someone who will speak English, at least a tiny bit. But get some phrases down , you know, Where is ..., Thank you, etc.
History, Shopping and Intersting history are all easily found within the city of Buenos Aires.
Get a guide book right away!
Cafe Tortoni , which is very nice during the day, is also where you can see Tango, or you can go to one of the many big beautiful and more expensive Tango Shows, Senor Tango for one. Esquina Carlos Gardell for another..
Hope this helps, but really, get books and start reading!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM

dutyfree,
I second Scarlett's comments. I would add a day trip to the Tigre delta (1 hour North of BA), with boat tour and lunch included. Check with a local travel agent (a couple of them have been repeatedly praised in these forums).
Also, the Palermo Viejo area around Plaza Serrano, at night, will be a great outing for your kids (my boys loved it when they went last February), and a soccer game if available (season's over, but you may catch a "friendly" game).
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:12 PM

It should be a good time to enjoy the city, but agree that a guide book would be very helpful to plan out what you want to do in this wonderful city. It has everything from art museums, tourist sites, architecture, shopping, historic museums and cemetaries, distinct neighborhoods, great food and wonderful wine for very little expense. Check earlier posts here for other ideas, but the biggest caution is to ONLY use radio taxis in the city if you use taxis to get around. Many areas/sites are very easy to walk to and the weather should be wonderful for being outside. It is not difficult to get around without Spanish skills, but for the convenience of the taxis driver, always have an address written down since the only time we had a language problem was in a cab when he didn't understand our "accent". It would be easy to spend all 6 days enjoying various things in the city, and that way you wouldn't lose time in additional travel. Tango shows are typically on the must see list, but it depends on your likes.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Six nights is perfect for most of the Buenos Aires must see and do's. If you enjoy history, there are loads of them around, in the buildings, the people, the streets, the music. BA is a city of contrasts, where the key word is "mix", "hybrid": people, music, architecture, everything is made of several components. For a cultural approach of the city while seeing it for the first time I suggest you take a tour with a historian from Eternautas, an agency that specializes in thematic historical trips (www.eternautas.com).

For dinning check dr Dawggy post on the best restaurants in Buenos Aires at Trip Advisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

Allow me to add to that list two personal recommendations in two specialities of Buenos Aires: Doughy Pizza at Las Cuartetas (Corrientes Avenue) or Juicy Empanadas at La Americana (Callao avenue)

Carlos Gardel's tango show is excellent but it might be a little too long for a 21 year old (if he's not a tango fan. Another option is go to a Milonga (tango club) and wathc local and foreigners tangoing while you have a drink. Of course this is less spectacular than a show with professional tango dancers...

There are several big malls in Buenos Aires (good prices in Abasto) but for leather got to Murillo Street to get bargains.

I hope it was useful,

All the best.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

WE had Lonely Planet Argentina, but felt we needed a bit more information and bought Lonely Planet Buenos Aires. If you just staying in the city, I would recommend the Buenos Aires one. We used it all the time, but get it in the states. We found it in English, but it took a while and it was several dollars more there.

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM

You will have a great time, try to find a hotel with a pool is possible, the American Towers in calle Libertad has one, and it is not expensive. The Sheraton, Four Seasons all of them have pools . The Home Hotel has one. Many others but check if it is outdoors or not, you want outdoors I guess in January and how big it is, you do not wish a tiny pool.

You will have a wonderful time pool or not pool, it is not a must, but because January is hot and you are going with two kids I thought it might be a good idea.
You will have a blast, have a nice travel guide and enjoy. you will see what a great feeling is to find everything so inexpensive and affordable. At least for me it is a plus. Food is delicious, buy the daily English newspaper The Herald to have an idea what is going on. I believe there is a travel agency specialized in taking you to a soccer match, that should be interesting and fun for the family. But you need to go with the experts, because you have to do it right. May be other sports shows or matches are going on too.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM

I forgot your family can surely enjoy a lot a day at a nearby Estancia, I recommend www.estancialosdoshermanos.com.ar
Lots or horse riding, or carriage riding, grreat asado, lots of fun and there is a pool too.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:14 PM

sorry it is www.estancialosdoshermanos.com
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM

sorry again and I shall be out for good, I meant get a good travel book...
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM

We used the subte lots and walked even more in BsAs.
We thought the trip to Colonia, UR a total waste of time and money (the fast ferry is $209. + $10. tax AR pesos).
Not the least bit interesting from our perspective here in colonial Mexico, but the comida at Meson de la Plaza was very good.
The Bellas Artes Museum is not to be missed.
On Saturday, I would visit the Recoleta Cemetery and adjacent fair/mercado.
On Sunday, I would take the subte to Plaza de Mayo; walk to the antiques market in San Telmo along Calle Defensa(to plaza Dorrego), then take a taxi to Il Matterello in La Boca for Comida (Martin Rodriguez #517).
Don't miss Juana M (parrilla) Carlos Pelligrini 1535 (basement) - closed for lunch on Sat.
M (from el pueblo magico - SMdA, Gto.)
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Why has dutyfree not come back to her thread ?
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM

As a frequent poster like you well knows, it happens. LOL!!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Hi Scarlett and avrooster I guess this is a perfect time to wish you both Merry Christmas and a happy NEw Year, I guess that sometimes people like dutyfree ask a question and then either they cannot find their own post or forget about it.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Thank you and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for you too, Graziella!
About the other thing, as I said before, it happens.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Sorry but my son has been sick including a visit to the emergency room and the past two nights I have tried to post and it will never go through?Yes, I definitely appreciate any help you are all generous to offer and please accept my apologies for not getting back sooner! Anyway, we are still trying to go sometime in the next week in a half if everyone is healthy and doing alright? Does anyone else have any inexpensive hotels to offer to stay for four in B.A.? I really don't want to do the renting the apartment thing so if anyone could suggest something in the range of $100 or under a night-that would be great. I have gone to the library and gotten out some of the travel guides and am in the process of trying to get my act together. Thanks again for all your tips!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Okay-now this trip is down to 3 people(myself,24 year old son and 21 year old daughter). Any suggestions in Buenos Aires for a triple type room that would be centrally located for use of metro and walking. We plan on leaving around the 4th/5th of January. Son who is a soccer freak said that it is VERY dangerous for us to see a soccer game down there as we would stick out. He bases this on his living in Torino, Italy and Prague with the problems of being robbed at games and being accosted(because of rooting for Juventus?).Daughter is interested in tango evening as I am-son isn't so sure.Any places we could go for a drink without hooking up with a tour for a whole evening? I promise I will stay on this board everyday to check-I have just had some problems with our internet getting to Fodors over the holiday. Appreciate all your efforts!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM

No worries about soccer because I believe the Aventura is on Summer break through January, so you wouldn't have a chance anyway. Maybe you can still tour Boca Juniors' stadium to get him his fix.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:26 AM

I believe the Loi Suites Recoleta offers accomodations for a triple. It is very well located.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM

dutyfree, I posted on your new thread about hotels..in case you can't find it.