Places to eat Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Buenos Aires for 5 total nights. Top restaurants for the locals that we can't miss would be? Someone recommended La Cabrera, Casa Saltshaker and Amici Miei, thoughts?

Also plan on taking the ferry to Colonia and doing a Tango Show while we are there. What about some great places to go at night, trendy bar or night club?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 11:56 PM

A few years ago now but we ate at La Cabrera. It was very nice and a little different but I saw mostly tourists rather than locals there. We spent a month in Palermo and just wandered the streets to find somewhere that looked good. As a rule of thumb we found that the smaller, less impressive looking places, often served the best food.

Fervor is one well known place that springs to mind. We were taken there by the renowned avrooster and my wife still remembers the salmon there very fondly!

Colonia is great but don't go at the weekend when it will be full of porteños escaping BA.

For our tango fix we went to Cafe Tortoni and had a great time with seats right in front of the stage.

A few photos of each of these places on our blog @
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html Entrie 85-87

Sorry, can't help with nightclubs - my clubbing days are well behind me
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 01:13 AM

For a better reply, you need to tell us what you are looking for. Kind of food, cost, touristy versus mostly locals, that kind of thing.

Great advice above from TOP poster crellston: "As a rule of thumb we found that the smaller, less impressive looking places, often served the best food." But that may or may not be what you want, as, in the places you mention, locals will probably be totally absent, particularly in Casa Saltshaker.

Anyway, you'll have a great time in my town.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Cost isn't really the focus, mainly a great meal and authentic food experience for the area. A tango dinner show, an amazing steak with great wine and stuff like that.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM

It has been a while but Amici Miei was one of our favorite restaurants. I celebrated a birthday there one year .. lovely place and wonderful food.

It has a great atmosphere, not touristy and not too posh and not too casual but the service is perfecto.

We never ate there but La Cabrera is very popular with everyone, visitors and locals.

Casa Saltshaker is totally a different animal.
They are not an actual regular restaurant .. it is in his home, they are called "Closed Door restaurants" .. I like Dan a lot but his restaurant is not in the same category as the others mentioned.

There is a place , right off of 9 de Julio .. Juana M ... really good food.
And you don't have to eat steak if you don't want it.

Palermo Soho has more restaurants than you can count .. chic, funky, trendy .. you should wander around and get a look during the days so you know more about the place before deciding to go there for dinner.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

This tango show was recommended, thoughts?

http://www.esquinacarlosgardel.com.ar/
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Scarlett, Amici Miei and La Cabrera I will add to the list, along with Juana M.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Never been to Amici Miei.

La Cabrera is as touristy as it gets.

Esquina Carlos Gardel has a reasonably good reputation, but I wouldn't eat at ANY tango show except perhaps the one at the Faena Hotel, called Rojo Tango. Never been to any of them. As a local, I listen to Carlos Gardel on my computer.

Juana M serves pre-cooked steaks. My advice: Abstain.

Have a great time in my country and be sure to bring your CC.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM

avrooster brings up a good point .. I don't eat red meat so if you are in it for the steak, you might not want to pay attention to my recommendation.
I can vouch for good pasta/fish etc just not red meat : )

How do they pre-cook a steak ? is there even such a thing ?
lol ...
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM

It sounded so wacky I looked it up and it makes sense ..
restaurants everywhere pre cook steak, to get a seared outside that locks in the juice. So you get a tender juicy steak.
So it isn't so much as pre cooked as seared ..
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 04:50 PM

In Palermo I loved Don Julio's (which I went to with the esteemed avrooster) and El Calden de Soho. I had a Saltshaker res but canceled when they told me that I'd be the only guest. Now I regret it.

Here is my trip report with other recs, including a bike tour and tango tour:

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...m#last-comment
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Hi, crosscheck! Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 06:30 AM

We went to La Cabrera on our first visit to BA and found the steaks good and huge, but really - it was soooo touristy we never went back. Ferver in Receleta has wonderful food - steaks and a seafood platter that is totally wonderful.

Chila is one of our favourite restaurants I prefer Chila for lunch, the atmosphere is different and in my view nicer at lunch time. Their food is outstanding, and has been at every meal. Their desserts, are a must.

One of my favorite dinner restaurants is El Mirasol in La Recove (near recoleta)....comfortably elegant and oh so delicious food.

Then there is Pena and those wonderful new finds in Belgrano recommended by serious a foodie...search on TA. Then there is El Estrebe at a lower price point, but not lower in taste.

For lunch, don't miss either Cumana or El Sanjuanino...casual, authentic and yum !

I totally agree that just meandering around and seeing where the locals eat is a good bet for good food. HOWEVER *** know that Argentines generally prefer their meat rather more well-done than visitors do...so be sure to order, and emphasize, that you want your meat Jugosos if you want med. rare or jugoso, jugoso (even blu) if you want it rare.

For Tango, the Cafe Tortoni (upstairs if you don't speak Spanish) is a wonderful place to be and the Tango show is fine...but for a really good show with OK food (we usually get just an antepasta and drinks, but the food is pretty good) we like La Ventana...best of all the shows we have seen. The show at the Faena Hotel is very well received, albeit more costly, but if budget is no problem, that would be my recommendation.

So, you see, there are a gazzillion choices...in several barrios...and serverl price points...you can fill up on just reading about them. ENJOY your VISIT and Ben Probecio !
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Oh, I forgot one of my favorite, not fancy, mostly for locals - with a good menu, old-timey waiters and tasty food..RODI BAR on Vicente López 1900 in Recoleta.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Marnie
I miss those waiters. When we moved to Buenos Aires, we lived on Ayacucho so Rodi Bar was The place to eat for us .. It was one of the last places we had dinner before we left and moved back to the US.
I miss that place and the waiters ... I miss BA : )
Rodi Bar is old time in many ways so visitors should not expect anything posh or fancy .. it is old time service and menu and just comfortable and good.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Quick question...are there any decent restaurants in Puerto Madero just by the water? By decent I mean not tourist traps/really overpriced? Looking for Argentinian/Italian food if possible.
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Mirasol also makes wonderful fish dishes. Our realtor took us there , the first time, to celebrate our buying our home in Buenos Aires : )
What a happy day that was ... so of course my memories of the restaurant are good.
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Clementine: Puerto Madero is touristy - but it is also a place that Argentine's live and go to dine by the water, in fine restaurants. Many are at a high price point, but some are easy on the budget - for casual lunch for example. While there, if in the day, check out the Fortabat Museum...modern and very cool inside, so, nice for a respite from the heat, too.
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM

I can't remember the name of the place we would go to .. we sat outside and had a bite .. there is a Mexican restaurant there ( or was) and that also was good for sitting outside .. watch out for the margaritas .. I remember going there for Sunday Brunch .. I remember sitting outside .. I don't remember anything else LOL
The restaurant might have been called DF ..
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 01:08 AM

In puerto madero we really enjoyed http://www.sigalavaca.com/en/index.html -
it is an all you can eat parrilla place. Not haute cuisine but an excellent place to sample the many varied argentine beef cuts as they literally use every part of the cow! make sure you go there hungry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -