Search

Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help

Hello!

We are spending about 15 days in Argentina and I wanted to get some feedback about our itinerary:

Glaciers (end of winter) – 3 days
Northwest territory – 3 days
Mendoza – 2 days
Buenos Aires – 4 days

We will be there the first couple of weeks of November. What are typically the flight costs between areas? Should I rearrange the way we visit these areas to minimize the time we are flying to and from each area?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Hello,

The flights to these areas range from $280 to $350 as the distances vary... you should book sooner rather than later to get cheaper flights, but anyway you would have to fly in and out of BA each time so it wont actually make much diference if you change your route! You can get cheap domestic flights through an agent called bsas4u, they're v.friendly and give excellent info!

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Internal flights with all the taxes etc are $USD 280 rt. I would try to book on lan.com. It is a far better airline than Aerolina Argentina. We travelled to Argentina last November and did the Mare Australis cruise leaving from Ushaia and returning to Punta Arenas, Chile. This year we are doing Iguazu, both sides Brazil and Argentina; and Mendoza- the wineries and than driving to the Chilean border. There is a trip report on here about the drive. We were going to go to the glacier and El Calafete, but my travelling companions thought it was a bit much for a two week journey.
I would maybe skip the Northwest and extend Mendoza and travel through the area west of Mendoza if it's the Andes you are interested in. Or go to the falls. There are some excellent B&B's throughout Argentina that are more interesting and comfortable than box hotels and cost approximately $100 a night. The staffs of the B&B give you great advice.
Also most flights connect in BA and you will need one day for each turn around. (ie BA-Iguaza-BA-Mendoza) (ie BA-El Calafete-BA- Mendoza). Here's my suggestion:

BA - 4-5days (incl day of arrival and day or departure)you may want to take the hydrofoil to Uraguay for a day.
Glaciers - 3 days
Igauaza - 2-3 days
Mendoza - 4 days (Wineries, driving to Chilean Border)
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM

The advantage of coming to the NW area is that you have direct fligts from IGUAZU and save a lot of time and money.
Come to the NW, we also have great wines, and also the unique torrontes, we have also mountains, but in addition we have empanadas, typical flk music, salt flats, more colourful mountains... Mendoza is wonderful place but you will loose alot of time at the airports, that is agood reason to choose the NW, mayeb add one more day... three days will be too tight at the end, I feel.
Wamr regads,
Flintsotnes{
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think u r trying to see too much in the timeframe u have. I love the NW, but I don't think 3 days there will give u much of a sense of it. I agree that Iguazu Falls is a not to be missed place. Perhaps u could go from BA to IF for 1 night,2 days, fly to NW from IF and stay 4 days in the NW and then to Mendoza? Not sure what the transportation options r between NW and Mendoza. Flintsones will know (Hi Angie!)
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Two days for Purmamarca, the salt flats and TIlcara and one day for Cafyate would be ok
Flitnstones
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:12 AM

Just so you know... despite Aerolineas Argentinas having a bad reputation I went with them last year to and from Bariloche and to and from Puerto Madryn and didnt have any problems! It could have been luck and perhaps for international flights there's more of a risk, but I wouldnt rule them out for domestic flights...!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM

sorrt to jump on the thread

Bsasexpert how much did your flight to Puerto madryn cost If thats not too rude a question??

And how often are their flights?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM

dm066

Your questions about air rates in PESOS ARGENTINOS

Buenos Aires - Madryn $arg 465p/p (3 times a week)
if you idea is to head for Calafate the return has to be;
Trelew - Calafate $arg 679 p/p every day
Calafate - Bariloche $arg 733 p/p
Bariloche - Buenos Aires $arg 698 p/p

Iguazu - Salta OR Salta - Iguazu is possible (2 days a week) Both are the most visited areas at the moment.
Iguazu one night is needed, times of the flight are good and make it possible.
Salta takes more time.Dont know how Flinstone does it but she really knows how to make the trip really profitable.

Buenos Aires Salta Iguazu Buenso Aires $ARG 1645 p/p

Good luck
milla
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks for that Milla,

I have posted our planned Itenary on my honeymood thread would love to know what you think, and perhaps anybody else who may think we are trying too much
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Hello,
dm066 - the flight to Trelew (then I got the bus to Puerto Madryn) was around $320, but that was low season... you have to remember its practically the end of the world! The flight is 3 hours, there's even an hour time difference! But its WELL worth it... dont be put off!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Milla is right, take more than three days in teh NW you need two dayd for JUJUY province and two days for Cafayate in SALTA probably three if you want to include Cachi. And at the end you will feel you should have stayed longer. Well, that happens with all the paradises!!!!
Wamr regards,
Flintstones
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks for that Bsasexpert, just to book the flights so good to know others experiences