Argentina Itinerary Help

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina Itinerary Help

Hello!
We are 2 women in our mid 30’s planning 2 weeks in Argentina at the end of October. We are planning the trip ourselves and are in need of itinerary advice. We know we will spend several days in BA, not sure how many yet. We are planning 2 nights in Iguazu and 3 nights in Mendoza (wine tasting is a must).

Here are the questions:
1.How much time would be needed in the Northwest (ie. Salta)? If we only have 2 or 3 days, is it worth the expense of getting there?
2.Which town should we visit to see a glacier? El Calafate? El Chalten? Somewhere else? How many days do we need?

We are pretty easygoing travelers (as evidenced by the last minute planning). Input is much appreciated!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think one needs at least 4 preferably more days to visit the NW which should include more than just Salta. I would not think it would be worth it to fly there just for Salta which u could visit in 2 or 3 days.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM

I much preferred Salta and the NW to Mendoza. It does have some great wines there, notably Torrentes and there are lots of vineyards to visit offering tastings but not to the extent of Mendoza which I quite like but I fail to get the hype surrounding the place. I agree with yestravel re Salta. The town is good for a couple of days but the real reason for going there is to get out into the surrounding region. a link to our blog

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html
Entries 75 onwards cover the Salta region

Iguazu should not me missed but with the right flights, could be done with one overnight stay unless you plan on seeing the Brazilian side (highly recommended) in which case 2 nights are required.

We did not manage to make it to the glaciers in Argentina but did look at some prearranged tours to El Calafate from BA which looked good, if expensive. They all seemed to be 2 nights and 3 days. getting there by air from BA would definitely be the best option as most flights seem to be routed via BA
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM

Please read my post under "flying internally in Argentina". my husband and 25 yr old son were just mugged in BA! My husband travels all over the world and said his associates that live there say the crime, gangs, drugs are really taking over and they won't even live in the city. They were mugged during the morning on a busy touristy street and residents saw it and did nothing! There are too many beautiful, friendly places to visit.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM

Please read my question in the Flying Internally in Argentina thread.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM

I suggest to take at least five days to see the NW. Take two days for Purmamarca, the salt flats, Humauaca and Tilcara and two days or three for Cafayate and Amaicha or just Cafayate and wine tasting...
Or a day for Salta twon which also deserves your attention.
You will, for sure, love the area and hope have a great time. Salta is a nice town with a lot to offer to visitors. As you see,... many people who took the advice to come did not regret!
Enjoy your stay,
Flintstones