14 Nights in Argentina

Search

14 Nights in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 Nights in Argentina

Hey guys. A friend and I are traveling to Argentina in February and currently working on a rough itinerary. Wanted to get any thoughts/feedback from those of you that have been there or live there. We definitely want to spend the majority of the time in BA - but want to explore elsewhere as well.

So our initial thoughts on plan is below... let me know if you think this is enough time in each location (or too much). Also if you have any accommodation or 'must-see/must-do' recommendations in the below towns - that would be appreciated!

3 nights: BA
3 nights: Mendoza (is late feb a good time of year for the vineyards there?)
2 nights: Iguazu
6 nights: BA

Also potentially thinking about adding a day (or night) trip to Colonia to check out the Uruguay beaches.

Thanks! Look forward to the feedback.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Ok and one other question.... if we're picking a city outside of BA to go to - is Mendoza the one to see or would you recommend a different one. I keep reading a lot about Salta...
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Haven't been to Mendoza, but I loved the NW. There is a lot more to c in the NW then just Salta and u would need more than 3 days to see it. Some people seem to spend 4 days in the NW and are fine with tht. I prefer more time.
But maybe where u go depends upon what u r looking 2 do.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM

The itinerary looks pretty good. Two nights is plenty in Iguazu. I haven't been to Mendoza, but I have been to Salta and it is good for 3 nights. There are also supposed to be some nice beach resorts a few hours drive from BA that you may want to look in to (Mar del Plata?).

Also, spend some time checking on the internal flights-- it is tough to get anywhere without going back thru BA which adds a lot of time and cost to the equation.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There are direct flights from IF to Salta now.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Much as I love the place, I think you have allocated too much time to BA. If wine is one of your main interests then Mendoza is the place to go and visit the vineyards, otherwise it would not be high on my list of places to visit. The town is pleasant enough but it just didn't enthral me us much as many other parts of the country.

Iguazu is amazing and definitely worth a 2 night stay. I would strongly recommend visiting both the Argentine and Brazilian sides of the falls as each provides a totally different perspective.

The top choice for me would be to visit Salta but rather than just stay in the town, rent a car and drive a circuit of the region, stopping off at places like Cachi, Cafayate, Purmamarca, Tilcara, Salineras Grande, Chicoana etc. Fantastic and varied scenery, lovely people and great food (and, another renowned wine producing region). A link to our blog with some photos etc. of these places:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

We loved Colonia and spent around 4-5 days there. A UNESCO world heritage site it is very pretty and photogenic and definitely worth an overnight stay if only to eat at one of the great restaurants there. However, I would not visit just for the beaches. There are beaches and they are close to the town, but it is a river estuary and they are not the best beaches I have visited.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM

We're currently in Mendoza amd it's a really nice place to visit, but the grapes don't really come out until January apparently.

Do bear in mind though that if you're travelling by bus, it's 38 hours from Iguazu to Mendoza; we did it and it's a very, very long journey. Salta on the way is supposed to be great and there are other places where you can break the trip up so it's definitely worth considering.

You can hop over to Montevideo or Colonia very easily from BA on the Buquebus ferry, it's pretty cheap, is regular and comfortable and is probably more fun than a second night in Montevideo!

Iguazu is great. Really stunning. If you have the option then see the Brazilian side first, it only takes a couple of hours but gives you a relly good panorama of the whole place; then the Argentinean side is up-close and personal and wet!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:12 PM

To the OP....
Keep searching about SALTA and you will not regret if you chose it. If you want to see wines... we have a lot here in the NW and really good quality. WE have torrontes, considered a unique type of wine, white, young and delicious. The landscapes are incredible with colourful mountains and rock formations.
I can suggest the following itinerary for four days... I suggest not less than that
SALTA - Cafayate
Cafayate - Salta
Salta - Purmamarca - Salinas Grandes (overnight in Purmamarca)
Purmamarca - Uquia - Humahuaca - Tilcara - Salta
I have also to say that you have the chances to take a direct flight from Iguazu and gain time and money.
You can maximise your time in Argentina with a good coordination.
Do not miss the NW and become a fan as all the ones who have been here.
The food in the NW is another issue for you to get caught by SALTA and JUJUY. And the only thing I can say is YOU wil not regret.
Warm regards,
Flintstones
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much! From reading this I think we add a night in Uruguay (not just a day trip)... maybe 2 nights and then need to decide between Mendoza and the NW. We could extend that portion to 4 nights potentially.

My friend and I love a good mix of adventure, city life, and scenery/relaxation when we travel, but ultimately just try to mix in and truly experience the culture while we're there (hence the long stay in BA). And Mendoza was particularly appealing because of our wine addiction. But if the NW has good vineyards too... that is definitely not ruled out.

Will keep doing our research and appreciate any additional feedback along the way!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Culture you said?? The mix of Indian culture and the brought by Spaniards in the 1600 ... Salt aitself is a misture of these two cultures and the sceneries are impressive.
If wine is your interest, ou should try our wines. I love the torrontes as I can drink it with whatever delicatessen we find in the NW as our empanadas, but you can also get malbec, tannat, merlot and the best blends of any winery.
Also the rose wines are of a delicious smell and a (even better) taste in throat!
I am not trying to convince you, just telling what you are going to miss
My pictures are not making any justice to the place, but just have a look..
http://cid-a339c36202dfbfd3.photos.l...x?sa=484007746
Four days in the area (or five) are necessary to get a good idea of the area.
Salta - Cafayate in two days and two other days for Purmamarca, Humahuaca and the Salt flats...
Flintstones
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM

If you are into wine at all, visit Mendoza, by all means. There are so many wineries, you head could spin.

We spent 3 nights there at the end of our trip (flying out of Mendoza through Cile). We thought it wasn't enough time to begin to approach the region. Reasonably speaking, you can't visit more than 2, maybe 3 wineries a day, not including a lunch which could (shoule) be at a winery. I would have liked to stay at least a week, in retrospect.

We were there last year in March, so it sould work for you. We stayed south of the town of Mendoza, in Chacras de Corias (sp?), about a half hour south. Most of the wineries are there. Fees are minimal or more, depending on what you want you want. You'll learn to love Malbec wine. Practice before you go so you know the general taste.

You MUST make reservations for wine tours as almost all wineries are gated. If you're late, no problem, just be there the same day.

CAVEAT: As the Argentine currency is steadily declining, you can save 10% on just about everything you do if you pay cash in U.S. dollars. On the bigger ticket items, such as lodging, I always paid cash. There are many, very disorganized, Citibank branches in BA, so that you can get cash in dollars from the bank.

If you decide to go that way, write a topic about the wine country and I will be glad to help. I live within 10 miles of a winery and less than 2 hours to Sonoma or Napa valleys.

Given all of that, we drink Malbec at least weekly.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Hi, Rastaguytoday!

When should we expect you back?
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM

In my opinion alot depends on what time of year you are travelling. If its in the Argentine summer then the southern regions are preferable. I think the Glacier Region (point of entry of El Chalten) and the Perito Moreno Glacier is out of this world. In Buenos Aires I highly recommend La Cabrera restaurant and El Obrero in La Boca for lunch. Also Cafe San Juan. I followed advice on this site and had a great time
http://www.argentinadiscovered.com
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 07:01 PM

We are heading back this month for our third trip to argentina. I would definitely keep Mendoza on the itinerary. This will be our third trip back to Mendoza (as well as BA). If you want a guided wine tour I woud highly recommend www.tastingmendoza.com. Dolores is great and we are using her company for the third time. I would highly recommend lunch at the vineyard Ruca Malen and you cannot go wrong with the Park Hyatt in Mendoza for accommodations and the food is very good for a hotel restaurant especially if you are getting In late and want dinner. This time we are going to Salta for 6 days after hearing rave reviews from our local friends and Torrentes is one of the finest wines on the planet. You will not be disappointed with Argentina including the exchange rate.