GOL airlines online booking problems

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOL airlines online booking problems

We'll be in Brazil in March and want to use GOL for three one-way trips. I noticed from the GOL "thread" that in 2004, people were having difficulty booking online. Well, it's 2010 and, after correctly filling in all information, plus my VISA card #, I received a message that the purchase would not go through. There does not seem to be any U.S. phone number to call for help. Have others had this experience in the last year or two? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I go through some travel agent in the U.S.?
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM

I had the same problem trying to book Trip airlines (a smaller regional Brazilian airline). On Trip Advisor someone said they had success using an American Express card, I tried that, no luck.

A Brazilian friend said you can often only use Brazilian credit cards on airline sites. In the end I used a travel agent based in Brazil to buy the ticket. You might also want to consider if a TAM airpass might be cheaper for the three flights.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM

For awhile GOL didn't accept foreign credit cards. Then, that changed to accepting only AMEX. Then, I believe, they opened the system to accept all cards. We have booked on GOL's website a number of times with no problems, I believe it was with AMEX, however.

I think the website may offer a "chat" option. I would try that. Or, buy a phone card and telephone their call center in Sao Paolo. Good luck.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

An update for anyone who attempts to book on GOL airlines: I talked to our Brazilian friends in Sao Paulo, and they called GOL airlines, who informed them that, in fact, although VISA and MASTERCARD are on their English website as way to pay for tickets, GOL only accepts the Brazilian versions of those cards. From the U.S., ONLY American Express cards are accepted--although, of course, they don't tell you that. Luckily, my mother has an AMEX card and were were able to book our flights with no trouble once we knew the correct strategy. Perhaps GOL is not interested in foreign tourists. It does seem strange.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks for reporting back, that's very helpful. I wonder if it's only North American Am Ex cards, as I couldn't use my Australian issued one.

I'm not sure why the credit card stuff is so complicated, often when I've booked things from here I've had to send a passport photocopy and a photocopy of the card itself. When I've ordered books, it's less complicated but then the online service has been variable. One publisher sent me the book for free when they stopped taking visa!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:11 AM

I stumbled across your conversation while searching for a GOL number. I recently (Dec 2009) traveled with GOL after booking with an American bank issued Visa in October.

I did however have trouble with the online booking. After getting past the "verified by Visa" page, I received a message stating that the order was not accepted.
I contacted GOL via phone and was informed that the charge would be refunded and that should I have more problems, I should use the online chat.

So I tried again with no luck, then used the online chat. I was then told that they were having trouble with the communication line to Visa, but my reservation was on hold and I should try again later to complete the order.
When I tried the next day I was able to complete the order.

HOWEVER, I was charged twice for my reservation.
And that's another story, and the reason I am looking for GOL's number again.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM

The problems with GOL bookings are the reason I just asked OpenDoor/Pantanal Tours/Brazil Nature Travel to book us internal air. A quick e-mail and I had our tickets.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Yeah, that's my approach too, but the downside of getting an agent to book airfares is that they sometimes add 5-10% for using a credit card.