B and B's in Salta or Mendoza?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bf and are in the midst of deciding to go to either Salta or Mendoza when we go to Argentina in July. We are looking for modest accomodations or possibly a night of "splurging" on a spa or luxury place to stay. We will stay for 3 days/2 nights. We are open to the bed and breakfast idea, we heard that there are some nice ones in both areas...anyone know of any good ones? Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:07 AM

I think the NW is much more varied than Mendoza. You can see salt flats, colourful mountains and fantastic rock formations, Not only wineries. In cafayste you can taste the great wines simillar to the ones in Mendoza but also the torrontes, a unique kind of wine which became the favorite of meany visitors.
Nice places to Stay... in Salta Posada del Marques for U$S 50 or for less, Las Rejas, El Algibe, but I feel Posada del MArques is the best for that price. Close to downtown...
In Purmamarca EL VIEJO ALGARROBO or EL CARDON, and in Cafayate Asembal hotel are my recommended as inexpensive places but clean and nice, comfortable...
If you need further info about the NW do not hesitate in making all the questions you consider necessary... I think for young travellers SAlta is a place they would stay longer!!
Flintstones
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your reply. we have been doing a lot of research and I belive that we will go to Salta. Now, we just have to finda flight from Salta back to the US so we dont have to backtrack back to BA!

It seems like there is a lot to do in Salta, would it be advisable if we rent a car and drive around the area? We do not speak Spanish. We would like to go to the flats, wineries (any that you reccomend?) and possible do some "adventur-y" stuff...any ideas?

thannks in advance!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:37 AM

KAROSS:

You will get more good ideas, and a wonderful Trip Report, from the review by YESTRAVEL on 12/20/08 on the Northwest and Salta.

~MarnieWDC
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Dear Kaross, each travel experience is unique, butI agree with MarnieWDC you should read some reviews, not only yestravel´s but Skatedancer´s, Nicci´s and many others...
You can rent a car, get regular tours (not recommended as they over a long distance ina day and finally you see nothing...) or get a private tour.
The NW is not only scenic but interesting for its background, the History, the Architecture, the Archeology, the music and the culture. But that is up to you, what you want...
And also about the time. How much time do you have for the NW?
How much of the area you want to see?
Have a great time.
Flintstones
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Sounds like you are leaning to the NW....but if you change your mind, consider Mendoza. It's without a doubt the prettiest town I visited in Argentina, and five weeks on a bicycle across and around the country gave me the opportunity to visit quite a few. I was pleased with the Hotel Zamora, not far from the Plaza d'Italia...clean, comfortable family-run place, very reasonably priced, and an exceptionally helpful staff. No, I am not affiliated in any way. Quite a few good restaurants in the immediate area too, within easy walking distance.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Oh, and if you have trouble finding an affordable flight back to the US from western Argentina, consider taking an overnight bus back to BA and catching a flight from there. A royal class bus ticket...meals served on board, fully reclining seats, about a 12 hour ride... from Mendoza to BA cost me only $65 USD. Just be very security conscious in the bus stations...I had my pocket picked in the Mendoza station, and a carryon bag stolen in the Santiago, Chile, one.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
With 3 days and 2 nights I would fly into Salta, pick up a car and go directly to Cafayate. Its a beautiful drive thru gorgeous scenery. Its also an easy drive on a paved roadway. Not sure of your budget but Hotel Killa in Cafayate is a really nice place to stay. There are several nice wineries u can visit and some areas u could hike. The next day I would return to Salta and spend some time touring Salta. Salta has a great night life with lots of music on Balcare St. Again, not knowing your budget I can recommend Carpe Diem in Salta -- its a small B&B a few blocks from the main square.
The owner, Silke, was very helpful to us in arranging our trip and even got the best rental car deal for us.

Alternately with the same timeframe u could go North and spend a nigth in Purmamraca, enjoy the Hills of 7 Colors in the am and check out Tilcara with its musuem and ruins. Not sure if u would have time to drive to the Salt Flats as its about 3-4 hours roundtrip. Just depends upon how much time u want to spend driving versus enjoying the villages. Return to Salta the next day. Again an easy drive that you could do yourself.

I don't think there are any flights directly back to the US from Salta. Some very basic Spanish is helpful, but I think u would be fine without speaking Spanish. Take a Spanish/English dictinary or phrase book with you.
Have a great trip! The NW is really wonderful.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Forgot to adress your "adventury stuff" -- not sure exactly what u r looking for, but a nice adventure is in Tilcara. It's an incredible drive to Garganta del Diablo. U can park about half way up and hike the gorge or go to the top and hike from there. Lots of detailed info in my trip report which u can find by clicking on my name and scrolling to the bottom where it shows the trip report. BTW - thanks for the reference to my Trip report, Marnie.