Search

Argentina in October

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina in October

I'm hoping to go to Argentina this October and need some advice. I would have approximately 9 days and would like to spend time in Buenos Aires, Mendoza and Patagonia.

My question is, will October be too cold for Patagonia? If it is, is there anything to Mendoza besides wine country? I would hate to miss out on the natural beauty side of Argentina since I love to hike.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM

I see you have everything palnned abotu hte wine area and PAtagonia. Have you heard about the NW of Argentina? Did you know that Cafayate in the South of SAlta produces wines? And as the grapes grow at more than 5000 ft, they are of a great quality? Have you heard about Torrontes (white) wine?
In Cafayate the Creator of Wine Icecream sells the fabulous torrontes and cabernet souvignon ice cream. Have you ever been to Salt Flats, blinding white extension of salt? Have you ever seen mountains very very colourful???
That is all in the NW of Argentina, the upperleft corner of the map. Salta is a nice colonial town, and the food is incredible, tasty and cheap. Learn a little more about the NW and you will definitelly come one day...
Warm regards,
Flintstones
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM

Your question...is it too cold in October? Depends on what part of the country you plan to visit. Remember that in the Southern Hemisphere the seasons are reversed, so it will be spring in Argentina. The South (Patagonia) you will still need a nice jacket as its very windy. Mendoza will be warm and Buenos Aires will be more humid.

I personally find October/November a great time to go. as you have 9 days I would recommend that you concentrate on a region. For example, Buenos Aires and Patagonia OR Buenos Aires and Western Argentina (Mendoza, San Juan etc) or the North.

Decide first what kind of scenery you want. Patagonia you will have huge wide open spaces, glaciers, steppe, mountain lakes. Western Argentina you will see more desert. The north is also gorgeous with the andean villages and mountain culture. You can get great hikes in any of those places. Great places to hike: El Chalten (patagonia) San Juan-Talampaya (cuyo-Western argentina).

Buena suerte, i hope this helped a bit.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

That was helpful, thanks. I thought I might have to pick 2, BA and another region, but I'm really torn with the wine region and Patagonia. Good thing I have a few months to decide.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM

Im not entirely sure what you want to see most? You are interested in wine country and scenery and hiking, verdad?

Wines. There are several wine producing areas in Argentina. Northern Argentina (cafayate among others) and Western Argentina (Mendoza,etc.) I know many people go to these regions for wine tours, I personally passed thru the wineries etc it wasnt the central focus of my trip.

You might want to consider Buenos Aires and a visit to Western Argentina to see Mendoza wineries etc) and some days for hiking (San Juan and Talampaya) which are somewhat off the beaten track but are phenomenal places (Ischigualasto and Talampaya. If you go there you will not need more than a windbreaker, its dry and hot (but windy in the afternoon).

a nice compact trip where you dont try to do too much. best way to see argentina.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM

workstravel; I feel that my first dart did not hit you. I will try to summarise the NW in few words to let you know what you miss if you do not come.
We could consider from Salta to the North and from Salta to the South, to the south Cafayate and Calchaquies Valleys, red mountains, with amazing rock formations, and in the words of americans, mcuh nicer than the Grand Cannyon. Cafayate is, besides, the where most of the wineries are. Thay do not only produce all the red wines but also the unique torrontes, which needs sandy soils and very sunny lands. Sun is garanteed in the area 350 days a year...
To the north, Quebrada de HUmahuaca, recently declared WORLD HERITAGE by UNESCO. The natural beauty of the landscape and the colourful mountains, the little town Purmamarca framed by the 7 colour mountains, is still unknown for many american visitors... On the same route, further west the salt flats, is another stunning spot.
There are other reasons to come...
meals and accomodations are cheaper than any other place, the food is tasty and differnet to the classic beef, which we also offer to tourists, of course. Archeaology, History and Architecture are realy interesting.
If I couldnot convince yet, please let me know and I will talkabotu empanadas and the wine iceceam, goat cheese and dulce de leche...
Warm regards,
Flintstones.