Trip for Oct-Dec 2009

Search

Trip for Oct-Dec 2009

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip for Oct-Dec 2009

My husband and I are thinking about a trip to Argentina (or Chile or both) this fall, their spring, and I am still (after a fair amount of reading) not sure what is possible within our time constraints and taking these time constraints into consideration what we ought to choose to see/do.
Here's what I can tell you: we are in our late 30s and have travelled extensively. We are very active and love the outdoors but we also appreciate great cities, food and wine. We would love to spend a few days in BA as we love art, history and cool urban environs; we also love wine and would welcome a day and night wine tour; and finally we want to spend the bulk of our trip 5 nights or so hiking/exploring the amazing natural wonders and sights of Patagonia.
All in all we have no more than 10 nights (as we have two small children we will need to return home to). Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
Also is there an advantage to using a travel agency and, if so, can anyone recommend one?
Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM

With 10 nights, stick to one country. Argentina makes sense if you want to experience Buenos Aires.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM

www.latinamericaforless.com

has worked well for me...
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Include NW and SAlta in Argentina and you will not regret. This area is very varied, nteresting... Amazing!
The food is great and the weather perfect...
Do not miss it-
Flintstones
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Firstly, using a travel agency. If you lack time then fine otherwise with a bit of effort you can usually put together your own trip for a LOT less money than an agent would charge(even if you have a look at some of the agency sites for their tried and tested programmes.

With only 10 days I would suggest limiting yourself to one country and, having just spent 4 months travelling in SA, I would strongly suggest Argentina (Chile is great but save t for another trip.

Highlights for me were many and varied for more detail here is a link to our blog:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...tml#ENTRY_LIST

Narrowing it down a bit I would suggest a few days in Buenos Aires and 5/6 days in the North West either renting a car for a self drive circuit or, giving your limited time, hire a guide for part or all of the time their (the previous poster, Flintstones comes highly recommend by many fodorites).

Other highlights in Argentina were Puerto Madryn for the whales, Iguazu falls, the drive through the lake district from San Martin de los Andes to Bariloche and of course, meeting the ubiquitous avrooster! Bariloche itself was a bit of a disappointment but I really wish we had gone to the glaciers - oh well maybe next time!

Have fun, its a wonderful country
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM

The area outside of Bariloche (not the city center) has an unlimited amount of outdoor activities and an amazing hiking network. Check out http://livinginpatagonia.com/?page_id=1001 for ideas on things to do.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM

crellston: as you WELL know, "meeting the ubiquitous avrooster" is not for everybody! Just like an egg salad made only of "7 hard boiled eggs" is not for everyone! LOL!!!

I apologize for the "inside joke", but crellston will know what I am talking about and have a great laugh.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM

avrooster, glad to see you survived your meeting with rhkkmk. Did he behave himself over dinner? I trust you warned him in advance the of the pitfalls of ordering in BA restaurants!!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM

We survived and he behaved quite nicely.

The only problem is he is suggesting dining together again sometime this weekend.

Just kidding. LOL!!!