Search

Mendoza or Salta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mendoza or Salta

We are trying to decide between Mendoza and Salta. It would be helpful to know main attractions and special characterisics of both places.

We will be going there in December, and would like to see some romantic wineries. We are also interested in a nice driving experience around those areas. What is a nice driving route?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Copper:

I am topping this for you and hopefully you will get some good info.

We visited the Mendoza area about 8 years ago on a wine tour. The wineries I enjoyed were Bodega Norton(near Mendoza) and Suter(in San Rafael). We spent most of our time in the San Rafael area, using a bus, so I can't give any driving tips. When the tour was done, a group of us were supposed to fly to Santiago. Someone suggested we take the bus over the Andes from Mendoza. This turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.

Good luck and I hope you get some better suggestions.

MY
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:10 PM

dont fly argentina airlines. go LAN to santiago from their take a flight to Mendoza.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM

There are direct highways to both regions since you want to drive, and in general there's not a lot of winding roads or something to go off on - that said, the route to Salta, once you get towards the north, goes through the mountains and "visits" quite a few small historical and archeaological sites as you go. Mendoza is far closer to BsAs if that's where you're starting out from - Salta by bus, which is the only way I've done it, is 23 hours away, Mendoza is only about 10. Mendoza wineries tend to be more set up for tourism, especially if you want to sort of just drop in, and there are far more of them, but the Salta wineries will welcome you if you contact them in advance. Also, Mendoza has far more wineries to choose from (80% of the countries wineries are in Mendoza), versus Salta which only has, I think 19 commercial wineries.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Just returned last week from a trip to Argentina. We spent time in BA, Iguazu, and 5 days in Salta. We rented a car in Salta for 4 days and had a great time. We drove from Salta to Cafayate the first day, from Cafayate to Cachi the 2nd day (I would recommend a bit of a different route on this leg), from Cachi to Jujuy the 3rd day and explored north of Jujuy and then back to Salta on the 4th day. Last day was spent in Salta. The scenery we experienced was incredible, from arid desserts with mammoth rock formations to towering mountains to winding roads where we saw grazing sheep, goats, and cows around many bends. I'd highly recommend visiting Salta.
Just a note: Our travel agent (Daniela, who was fantastic) told us that we were the first tourists to book a trip that included Salta, rather than Calafate). Also to note, when we were experiencing sun and temps in the 80's everyday in Salta, Mendoza was experiencing rain and snow, according to fellow travelers.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM

We flew directly from Bs As to Mendoza in Lan-Argentina. But I do not think there will be a problem with Aerolineas in the near future. The strike was satisfactorily terminated.
In Mendoza we stayed in a wonderful place located among the best wineries,
www.cavaswinelodge.com Good luck.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Dear Shelley/vandykes44 -

Those are the three locations we are planning on visiting. I'd love to hear more about your trip, particularly logistics as wee are trying to plan without a travel agent.

Thanks!
Jan
nita_jan @ hotmail.com