Salta OR Mendoza OR both??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I spent 3 months in BA about 10 years ago and absolutely loved it. Am planning a trip back to Argentina in October 2013 (soon!) and had originally set our sights on Mendoza. In doing more research, I am growing concerned that Mendoza may not have the charm we had hoped, and perhaps Salta as a city has more going on in terms of architecture/ ambience? We plan on doing some light hiking/ sight seeing, but our main goal for the trip is food/wine and meandering. Any thoughts/opinions? It also seems the only options for getting to and from Mendoza/Salta are either connecting flights through BA or an overnight bus? Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM

On a scale of 1-10 I would give Mendoza a 3 and Salta 10.

Mendoza is the place for wine but Salta has some nice vineyards too. The Torrontes wine is really good.
Salta city is fine but the real beauty of the area is to be found driving around a circuit of the NW. The scenery is truly spectacular! There are numerous TR here on this or, you can look at our blog from a few years back.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html

Entries start at # 74

We loved it so much we plan on returning in a couple of months.

as for transport, the buses in Argentina are fantastic, go for Ejecutivo class and you will experience something akin to First class on a decent airline at a third of the cost of an airfare ( less of you consider the saving on accomodation)
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 07:09 AM

I would probably shade it for Salta as well, but I also liked Mendoza. The real drawcard with Salta is doing a 2 day tour around the Valles Calchaquies, super scenery, nice villages (Cachi and Cafayate) and some good vineyards.

I got the impression the nightlife was better in Mendoza but that may just have been the group we were with.

Overnight buses all the way IMO.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! Pgriffin, any cafayate winery recommendations? And did you tour with a guide or solo? We are now thinking of doing Salta and BA and skipping Mendoza as our trip is only 10 days. Crellston thanks for the travel blog info- very helpful!