Machu Picchu Day Trip?

Search

Machu Picchu Day Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machu Picchu Day Trip?

I'm hoping someone can help me iron out the last few details I need for my day trip to Machu Picchu. I have my train ticket from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes.

After I arrive in Aguas Calientes, where do you go to by the bus ticket and ticket to Machu Picchu? Are they located in the same place? Does anyone know the costs for each item or at least sources I can go to find them? I also hear there is a good trail up to Machu Picchu, but it might be better to take it on the way down than up. Where is that located?

My original plan was just to follow the massive towards these places, but it sounds like a lot of people have guides. Since I'm a student, I'm trying to do this adventure in the most-cost efficient matter.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM

The people with guides will also be going towards the buses, which are in the same general direction that the train was traveling. There are little kiosks where you purchase bus tickets. The tickets to MP are up at the site, after you exit the bus.

If you are going just for the day, I doubt you'd have time to walk the trail. If I recall correctly, the train departs around 3 p.m.? There are steps from the site down to the town, which are part of the Inca Trail, but I don't know how long that would take. I walked down the trail that the bus takes and it took me about 2 hours. There was a lot of dust kicked up every time a bus passed by.

If you want to do hiking from the site, I'd recommend the Gate of the Sun, which is a beautiful hike up from the site, and is actually the last part of the Inca Trail for the trek into MP.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM

I posted too soon.

There are beautiful views from the Gate of the Sun trail, and if you are pressed for time, you'll be better off there, b/c you can guage how far to go, based on what time it is. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM

gauge
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Buy your MP ticket in the town center 130 soles in Jan

Bus $14 round trip buy at kiosk in front of buses
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM

124 Soles in January

It's the Boleto turistico that is 130 soles