Argentina - BA & Mar del Playa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Argentina from Nov 10 - 27, 2011. Our original plans called for 1 week in BA and 2 weeks in Santiago at my brothers place, however, my brother has moved so we are retooling our trip to remain in Argentina. We are healthy seniors who enjoy walking, sightseeing, wine, restaurants, museums, etc. so we are really looking forward to Argentina. I've reviewed most threads on Argentina over the past 6 months and have obtained extensive assistance from the many "experts" and visitors to the forums....so thank you in advance.

We've booked a 1 bedroom apartment in BA - Palermo Soho area on Solar Street, for 10 nights -8 at the beginning and 2 at the end of our trip. This will be our base for days trips and exploring BA. We have a week in the middle and are looking for feedback on our plans to go to Mar del Playa to vist this area and do some R & R on the beach and possibly golf for a day or two. Recommendations on accommodations and things to see and do in Mar del Playa are also welcomed.

Are there other suggestions regarding places to visit.

Also, while in BA we plan to do the 2 "free" BA walking tours and would appreciate recommendations on an appropriate tip for the tours.

Any feedback on restaurants, tango shows and attractions in BA would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM

Hi, mgwest!

I like Mar del Plata very much, but I mostly stick to the area a little South of the town itself, known as Playa Grande or Los Troncos, near the Mar del Plata Golf Club's main course.

There are two top hotels in that area, the Sheraton and the Costa Galana. You can walk to the beach or to the golf course from both.

The Playa Grande golf course is wonderful. As in any seaside course, the wind is the main factor and almost all putts break towards the sea. There is a very short par three, the eight, where I have played anything from a low 3 iron to a soft wedge, depending on the wind. I haven't played it in ages. It used to have great, very fast greens, but I believe that is unfortunately no longer the case.

If you wish to go a few miles further South, research http://www.marayui.com.ar/en/index.htm but, if you stay there, you may need to rent a car.

About the tip for the BA Free Tour, I would suggest a minimum of between ten and twenty dollars per person, assuming you feel the guide did a good job.

With reference to the rest of your question, I have a thread with great trip reports: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...ed-reading.cfm

Have a great time in our country.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Avrooster

Thank you for the information on Mar del Playa and the thread for trip reports. I've looked at many of your posts and am very pleased that you are active again and assisting visitors (we are Canadian). The currency thing is a little confusing as I know Argentina uses the peso but postings often show a $ sign so I don't know if you're referring to US dollars or pesos??

We are really looking forward to Argentina, the country and the people.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM

There's so much to see and do in BsAs that you could easily fill your time there, but if you'd like suggestions for a day trip you might enjoy Tigre and/or Colonia, Uruguay. We did both and enjoyed them.

If you haven't been to Iguazu Falls, it truly is a must see. We kept our room in BsAs and spent two nights in Puerto Iguazu. The falls are jaw dropping!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM

mgwest: I have been permanently active on this forum for several years. However, I was banned from TA for telling like it is too often, or at least that is the way I see it. Is that what you mean by "you are active again"?

We also use the $ sign, so I can't tell you if it is pesos or dollars unless you tell me which specific post you are talking about.

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM

Hi AVR - best wishes to you and your lovely wife. Wish we were coming to BsAs in the near future, but sadly that isn't the case. Would enjoy seeing you both again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM

Any particular reason for going to Mar del Plata? I definetly would think it over. It is far, it is a nice place to go for a long vacation but nothing that special in my opinion. I would rather go to an Uruguayan beach resort if this is what you want, but November is not a beach month in the region.I am sure you can enjoy easily golf in Buenos Aires. Frankly I believe there must be much better options than going to Mar del Plata.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

We are open to suggestions of other locations to visit outside of BA. From what I've read the beach resorts in Uruguay are virtually deserted until after Christmas. We aren't looking for a beach vacation but would enjoy another local with some interesting things to see & do.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Avrooster

I was going on memory from posts I read in March this year where I recollected (possibly incorrectly)that a couple of years ago there had been an unfortunate situation over a luncheon bill when you had been graciously assisting some other tourists, and, as a result you were taking a bit of a break. I apologize if this is incorrect and I want you to know that your thousands of posts have assisted many of us and we truly appreciate your assistance. When we are in BA, if you and your wife are available we would be honoured to treat you to lunch as a small way of thanking you for all that you have done. "[email protected]".

My question re dollars and pesos was related to the appropriate tips for the free BA tours.

Thank you again.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM

Oh, you meant THAT! LOL!!! I got over it, but here it is: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...ant-refuse.cfm

When you are here, mgwest, e-mail me to albertovgalloATyahoo.com and we'll see about your kind invitation. No egg salads, please. Just kidding!

In pesos, the tip I suggested for the free tour would be between forty and eighty pesos per person, assuming the guide did a good job and you are happy with the tour.

Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Avrooster

That's it! We'll be sure to email you when when we are in BA.

Thanks again.

Myles & Gisele West
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 02:15 AM

One obvious thing to do at that time of the year is to attend a polo match, held within walking distance from your apartment.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Another thing to do during your stay:

http://www.sanantoniodeareco.com/tur...cion/index.php