Search

So much to see, help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much to see, help!

Having a hard time planning our trip to Argentina in December...so much to see and the distances are so great!

We're going to Iguazu for sure and B.A. but now we're thinking to drop Patagonia as we think that that should be a trip in itself another time.

Has anyone been to Mar del Plata? Is it worth going? Any suggestions for hotels ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM

ttt
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:56 AM

I am not much of a fan of Mar del Plata. A very average beach area in my opinion. There are several smaller beaches that are superior to MDP, but Punta Del Este is better...and even Punta is not as nice as some of the beaches in Brazil or in the United States...

Buenos Aires and Iguazu are the star attractions in Argentina. It is true that Patagonia is a large area and should be a trip in itself, but you might think about doing part of the southern part of Argentina on this trip, and checking out the rest of Patagonia on a return trip. The Lakes Region (see thread on Bariloche/San Martin) offers spectacular scenery and outdoor activities.....

Or, consider taking a longer stay in Buenos Aires and going on a Delta tour with Santiago (who posts here regularly) or an excursion to an estancia, or across to Colonia for a day trip or overnight.

If you must go to Mar del Plata, Costa Galena is nice. Sheraton is fine. And there are a couple of new places, I understand....

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:24 AM

Beg to differ with drdawggy, the top American expert on this forum!

Mar del Plata is great and other nearby beaches are even better, if you dislike the idea of a city with a beach. It is simply a matter of taste.

Best new hotels are the Costa Galana and the Sheraton, both in the best location, within Mar del Plata. I agree with the Doc on this subject.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:55 AM

what is the easiest way to get to mar del plata? can we rent a car in BA and drive?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:03 AM

Yep, 250 miles of a pretty good road, by our standards. You can also fly and rent a car there, of course. When renting a car here, be aware of the fact that unlimited mileage is not as common here as in the US.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:15 AM

people being people, there will be differences of opinion from time to time
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:19 AM

I liked Mar del Plata, a live city and regular nioce beaches. But I cannot say it is a must when visiting Argentina. I would much rather enjoy Bariloche or Puerto Madryn and of course Iguazu. If you do decide on Mar del Plata, you could also take a look at Pinamar, nice beaches and a such a cute town. Del Bosque Hotel there will do.

The Costa Galana Hotel is very very nice, you should definitely consider it. They have "definitely recommend" spa services.

It seems you are going to be there in the best season for the South, it wont be that cold. You do not want to miss Patagonia. Though it needs a trip on its own, a lot of places do and only in a looooong trip could you cover it all. I actually deserves more than one trip, its broad.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hi, Doc!

About your "people being people, there will be differences of opinion from time to time", do you mind if I start calling you "the sage from Athens"??

Big smile or LOL.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:05 PM

ttt for drdawggy
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:20 PM

Rozelle:

I would skipp Mar del Plata , would rank it around N. 20 in Argentinian attractions.Its a city over the ocean ,it was beautifull 100 years ago .

Its OK for Porteños and Argentinians , but not a must for travellers demanding more "unique" spots.

I have travelled extesively in the Brazilian coast from Florianopolis to Bahia, by land and sea , and can assure that beaches are much more attractive than Mar del Plata.

If you have been in Carmel and enjoyed it ( California) , donīt even think in visiting Mar del Plata.

Top Argentinian coastline and quite unique is the Patagonian coast , wild and beautifull with little or non infrastructure regarding Int. standards.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:01 PM

AV...jeejeje. I wish I could persuade my students to call me "sage"....
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:24 PM

OK, but the question was: do you mind?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:48 PM

as a local, i would never rank Mar del Plata as a "must" in Argentina. It is a nice city with very attractive areas.

as a seaside resort i would definitely place Carilo as the top, though nobody can deny that the beaches in Brazil are much better, whiter sand and warmer and cleaner waters

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM

mar del plata is definetly out! punta del este i where we will go. sounds ok to the "big 3"? (you know who you are!) and thank you, again, for all your replies........
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:55 AM

Milla:

I donīt know you but I know quite well my country Argentina and read in your threads very good advice.

Although Carilo might be nice for us
( Argentinians),in my opinion, wonīt be attractive for travellers looking for a more unique ot top beach regarding natural sorroundings and adecuate infrastructure .

Only the Patagonian coastline with its "solitudes" its quite unique, wild and a must see at least once.

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM

i ve been to Punta del Este several times. I think i know it. For many years i liked Punta del Este, till i discovered the tranquility, the service in the different resorts, the hotels and the cabins in Carilo.

For people who want to relax, forget about meals and have all there (huge breakfast, and exc meals), indoor pool the beach in front of the room, spa and activities, no matter where they come from, Carilo offers more alternatives, nearer and is a lot cheaper than Punta del Este now.
Dec. and March just when there are not so many people and prices are lower, it is a pleasure to ride on horseback on the beaches in the morning.

i sincerely recommend Carilo.milla
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Loved Mar del Plata for a week or more of relaxing/being pampered on the beach at Costa Galana hotel; but wouldn't call it a 'must see' place in Argentina if you can only go once 7 are trying to do as much as possible. I rank El Calafate & the glaciers as equal to Iguazu in places you must see to believe & not to be missed, & December is a good time to go there (& it's a part of Patagonia!) I did Iguazu in July, the water was lower but still spectacular, & the weather was good & not too hot. For virtually any trip via air, you will need to go thru BA; careful study of the
Aerolineas Argentinas schedules will help you a lot.