18 Day Argentina Itinerary

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 Day Argentina Itinerary

My boyfriend and I will be in Argentina Dec 13 - Jan 1 =18 FULL DAYS. We'd like to max all of our activities and squeeze in as much as possible and are looking for suggestions for the perfect itinerary.

We 100% want to spend a few days in BA and El Calafate but those are the only certain destinations. We think we'd also like to spend time in Bariloche, El Chalten and Punta del Este (Uruguay). But we aren't sure how to workout the timing of everything.

We are also thinking of skipping Mendoza and Iguazu falls -- what are thoughts on that?? Iguazu will be very crowded and hot and doesn't seem worth the journey. Please let us know if we are making a mistake.

Thank you!! Also any suggestions on where to stay would be great!! We are willing to spend money but only for quality - not looking to spend > $300/night anywhere unless there is an incredible reason to.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM

In very general terms, I'd start by flying down to El Calafate and El Chaltén (same area), then hop North to Bariloche for a few days and end your trip staying in BA over the holidays.

One reason for doing it this way is that I believe the flights to our South may be fully booked over the holidays.

Concerning where to stay, it's a matter of taste. You sound young. If so, you'd probably enjoy the Palermo area for your stay in BA. We'll see what other forum members have to say about the matter of where to stay.

Have a great time in our country with your BF, kellyly.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM

I know a lot of people disagree, but I think the Falls are a little over-rated, expensive and really take a bite out of your travel days, so if you are looking to cut something out, I would cut that out. That being said, they are still really awesome, but 2 or 3 days looking at waterfalls plus traveling to and from is quite a tradeoff compared to other places you could check out or spend more time in.

Mendoza is cool, but looking at the other places you are going I would suggest just spending more time in Bariloche/Lakes District. I would encourage you to consider adding Salta and the North West as an alternative to the Falls. It's pretty amazing up there!
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 10:14 PM

There is so much to see in Argentina that it is really difficult to decide what yo include and leave out. I agree with most of what posty says apart from Iguazu being overrated. I cannot imagine going to Argentina and not seeing. Iguazu. It is amazing, but would take 2/3 days of your 18 so if it is not turning you on, leave it out.

With just 18 days, I would certainly leave out Uruguay unless you have a particular reason for going there.

Salta and the north west are great for a driving tour through incredible scenery, superb vineyards and also has really good food. I much prefer it to Mendoza which I would leave out on a trio of this length.

Can't help you with places to stay as we were on a long trip and the places we stayed were closer to $30 than $300!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with crellston that the falls are amazing. I disagree that you should skip them, but I am a big fan of waterfalls. I thought Iguazu put Niagara to shame...

Definitely spend time in Patagonia rather than Uruguay. Like crellston, I travel long term and don't spend anything close to $300/night!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice!! I meant 300/night as a max -- more concerned with when we are in BA or Punta del Este.

For Bariloche & Califate we are totally down to stay in a hostel with a private room or a cheap-hotel. I think that would be ideal for us, if you have any recommendations.

I'm so torn on Iguazu. I personally wasn't impressed at all by Niagara which is why I'm not so set on this, even if it is better. More importantly - I'm reading that Salta is great but is simply too hot in December - is this true?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Bariloche I can recommend the Hotel Tirol - way, way under your limit. In BsAs I enjoyed the Duque on the edge of Palermo.
Maybe my photos can help you decide WRT Iguazu:

http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/S...a-2012/Iguazu/
http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/S...-Iguazu-Brazil
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM

"We are also thinking of skipping Mendoza and Iguazu Falls -- what are thoughts on that?? Iguazu will be very crowded and hot and doesn't seem worth the journey. Please let us know if we are making a mistake."

Skip Mendoza if you must, but not Iguazú Falls. These falls are one of the great natural wonders of the world. We're not talking about just one waterfall here. In the dry season there may be 275 separate falls. In the wet season, there can be as many as 350 falls.

Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:06 AM

Some photos of Iguazu from our blog of 5 years ago
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...0400/tpod.html

Salta will be hot but not unbearably but really needs 6 days to do the area justice. Best to rent a car and drive a circuit of the region. Having said that, I could easily spend the entire 18 days in BA and Patagonia. It really depends on your likes and dislikes.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 06:34 AM

Don't forget about airbnb.com for good lodging options. We stayed in an amazing flat in Palermo Hollywood and a beautiful log cabin in Bariloche for cheap (not hostel cheap, but it was an affordable slice of luxury)(and it's even cheaper now with the blue rate where it's at).
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 04:57 AM

posty: I believe the people who advertise on airbnb show their rates in dollars and want to be paid in dollars, not in pesos. If that is so, changing dollars at the "blue" rate does not work to pay for these accommodations. Am I right? What was your experience in this respect?

It DOES work for hotels, who legally HAVE to take pesos.

Have a great time in our country.