Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just Back From Italy - Shoes & Cell Phone Comments

Search

Just Back From Italy - Shoes & Cell Phone Comments

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So am I crazy to want to wear heels to dinner? It will be our honeymoon and I adore dressing up. We'll be in Lake Como and Rome.

How come I think I know what you all will say?! Haha.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Jager,

No, you're not crazy for wanting to wear heels to dinner. I would never bring heels to Europe; my packing space is too precious, but packing for a honeymoon is a different story. Dress up and celebrate!
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Jager -

You're a gal I can relate to! Shoes are high on my list or priorites - gotta have the whole outfit! I bring heels on our travels regardless of where we go in Europe. I brought a pair to Turkey this spring and I will be bringing some to Greece later this summer.

I don't wear them throughout the day but I like to dress up in the evening as well.

I've found that as long as I bring heels I've worn at home and am comfortable in I do just fine. I've brought all kinds - narrow heels (almost stilettos), wider chunky heels and wedges.

Enjoy your Italian honeymoon - I'm sure you'll look fabulous!!
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM

We spent a week at a hotel overlooking the Pantheon the third week of April and did a lot of people watching. It was a beautiful sight and there were tons of tourist that week. It was, however, amazing and sad to see the number of people having their vacation ruined because of having to sit with their blistered and infected foot propped up or having to use crutches due to their foot having to be bandaged. I agree, any comfortable shoe is recommended, however, BROKEN in shoes, whether they are cowboy boots or sneakers, should be the order of the day....Be sure to wear whatever shoes you are taking everyday for a month before you leave. Doesn't help the smell, but they will sure feel better after you've walked a mile or two, or three, or four.....
PS: if you do have to stop and prop your blistered feet up, be sure to do it in front of a gelateria and have a gelato on me.....they are sooooo good..
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
repeat after me -

NO-ONE IN EUROPE CARES WHAT I WEAR ON MY FEET. [we're too busy laughing at your clothes]

regards, ann

ps the last time i posted like this, some one took offence - none meant.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM

hcjax,

I switch to T-mobile about a month before I left for Paris (I am here now). I am so happy with their service that I am looking for gift to give to my salesman and customer service at T=mobile. They unlocked my phone so that I can buy a local sim card or I could just stick with what I have. I chose to keep my local sim card so people back home can call me with my telephone number. Super easy.

Regarding shoes, It has been raining on and off in Paris, so I have been wearing my crocs flip-flops. I love them too. I noticed a lot of women in Paris are wearing super high heels but I don't know, It looks painful but they look beautiful.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Hana- You are too funny. And thanks for the commoraderie! (sp) I'll definitely wear the shoes while hiking the dolomites. Tee hee.

Luisah- Thanks to you as well!
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM

re cowboy boots
There are cowboys in Italy.

And some of the best bootmakers in the world are in Italy, especially riding boots.

AND one of the better bootmakers in America has an Italian name: Lucchese!
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Like you, Donna, I'm just back from Italy (Rome and Naples) and paid special attention to shoes. I also found that &quot;most everyone&quot; was wearing sneakers. If they weren't it was, for women, very high heeled shoes or high-heeled boots (including cowboy boots), sandals, flats or flip-flops. The exceptions were the older people from the UK, and most Americans. I could spot us Yanks by our <i>lack</i> of sneakers.

Also, jeans and capris were extremely common on non-Americans--worn by all ages except the elderly.

So, if you don't want to stand out as an American tourist, wear sneakers or other casual shoes.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM

I'm so glad to read a string by people who don't scoff at caring about what they wear. So my non-shoes question. For Sicily in July, (hot hot, hot) if I take capris, (or are long pants more in style?) what color is no-no. White? Mauve? light pink? I love black, but in the hot sun it is impossible; I might pack something black for dinner though. Opinions?
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM

This whole shoe thing has been getting out of hand for a long time. I've always said to WEAR WHAT YOU LIKE THAT IS COMFORTABLE! Believe me, after a few days and your feet are killing you, you'll wish you'd packed something comfortable.
If you're sitting in a piazza enjoying a gelato, just watch people's feet. You WILL see everything from patent leather heels to $1.50 flip-flops.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM

Just my thoughts, but I think it works out cheaper to rent if you're only traveling for a short time. Vodafone are one of the biggest, if not the biggest?, networks in Europe. They are also Verizon's rental partner, so I rented directly from Vodafone - http://www.vodafonerental.com/Intern...ne-Rental.aspx. Seemed a good deal at just over $2 a day. We spent most our time in England so incoming calls were free. Can't remember what the rate from Italy back to US was? Think it was around 90 cents?
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM

This thread began in April 2006 so all but the last response, a plug for Vodafone, are two or more years old.